Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    This has gotten bad enough for me lately I am getting pretty ****ed about it. I need pdf's more these next two months then any other time of the year. I run a youth soccer club and need the rosters of 50 teams at the ready, as well as many other documents for the club. How wonderful this season was supposed to be with the ZumoDrive app and everything being in sync with no hassles....too bad none of my pdfs will not render, any of them.
    I have the same problem not being
    able to read most of my PDF docs.
    someone anyone please come up with a
    solution.
    i use my phone for bussines and I can't even
    view pdf attachments....not good enough!!!
    they dont care about the problem. the crappy pdf viewer only supports down to 5.5 distiller and now is broken with 1.4.5 update.
    Anybody open a ticket w/ Palm? I know HardBeatz did something, but instead of b*tching and moaning, how about actually asking the company for support?

http://www.palm.com/support

But don't try it in IE9. Doesn't work in IE9.
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Anybody open a ticket w/ Palm? I know HardBeatz did something, but instead of b*tching and moaning, how about actually asking the company for support?

http://www.palm.com/support

But don't try it in IE9. Doesn't work in IE9.
    We have quite a few people that are reporting PDF issues to us, so it's a well documented. There really is like four buckets that go into play here

1. PDF's work fine for you
    2. PDF's were broken before and now work fine for you
    3. PDF's were broken before and are still broken
    4. PDF's just broke with 1.4.5.

So I know the issue doesn't seem like it should be too complicated to fix, but a lot of things have to be taken into consideration

PDF's don't follow a universal file type. True all pdf files are a .pdf file, but they can all be encoded using different software, different encryptions etc.
    So many other things can go into play, a little tricker than just dealing with a standard .doc(x) file.

The case is being investigated by Palm we are aware of the issue and we have quite a few different PDF files that users have provided for us to look at and diagnose. The issue is as important to us as it is to you, obviously the more data points users can provide the better, but I don't want anyone to feel like Palm isn't doing anything about it.

The final thing I want to add is that a fix isn't coming tomorrow. Just like with every other bug that has been identified and isolated fixes come in product updates, at the very least everyone is going to be waiting for the next OS update before this issue gets addressed, getting upset because the issue hasn't been fixed in x amount of days isn't really pointless because the issue won't be really fixed before the next update comes out if it's addressed by the next update, that really depends on the amount of work that has to be done to address the issue.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I still find it embarrassing for Palm that their own User Guides from their support site produce the same Render error on my Pre Plus (AT&T)...

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    I tried to a view a PDF for the first time in months and it was broken. I hate my Pre+ every update ends up breaking something.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I fall into the "broken before 1.4.5, works after update" category. I tried a small Web-sourced PDF file, a large Web-sourced PDF file, and one I exported from a Pages document into PDF format. All opened successfully and allowed navigation and zooming. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get broken by the time I finish typing this message.
    worked fine befoer 1.4.5, now sporadically fails to render...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I've put a bunch of pdfs into Google Docs. This isn't a perfect solution but it's working better than the PDF Viewer app at this point. Same for doc, xls, ppt files. This might be the stopgap solution that someone out there needs, because it does work.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Try using a work-around to the issue. Load your .pdf files into a GoogleDocs account. I've had great success with adding GoogleDoc's to my Pre's bookmarks and then using that to view files. You get all of the features of pinch-zoom and landscape viewing.

Try GoogleDocs and see if that helps!
    All fine and dandy unless you don't have a data connection!
    i noticed that I have the problem when i have scanned the document in and then try to open in pdf view. I took the advice of someone to use googledocs and that helped a lot. I can open pdf files that come through email.
    I'm not convinced this a problem with the PDF files themselves...

I had 15 PDFs saved on my phone and none of them could be rendered by the PDF viewer. Being inquisitive, I searched for the files using Internalz. Trying to open them via Internalz still failed.

Until I changed the attributes of the file to "Read Only" and then back again. The ones that I "modified" with Internalz are now renderable! Looks like a file system issue to me...
    I could not replicate the "modification fix" on my problem pdf's. They still won't render.
    The Read Only On/Off modification didn't work for me either.

Well hopefully 2.0 brings a solution for all users.
    I was hoping it would work for me. But I tried and my PDF docs still fail to render. This has been a problem for me only since 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    We have quite a few people that are reporting PDF issues to us, so it's a well documented. There really is like four buckets that go into play here

So I know the issue doesn't seem like it should be too complicated to fix, but a lot of things have to be taken into consideration

PDF's don't follow a universal file type. True all pdf files are a .pdf file, but they can all be encoded using different software, different encryptions etc.
    So many other things can go into play, a little tricker than just dealing with a standard .doc(x) file.

The case is being investigated by Palm we are aware of the issue and we have quite a few different PDF files that users have provided for us to look at and diagnose. The issue is as important to us as it is to you, obviously the more data points users can provide the better, but I don't want anyone to feel like Palm isn't doing anything about it.

The final thing I want to add is that a fix isn't coming tomorrow. Just like with every other bug that has been identified and isolated fixes come in product updates, at the very least everyone is going to be waiting for the next OS update before this issue gets addressed, getting upset because the issue hasn't been fixed in x amount of days isn't really pointless because the issue won't be really fixed before the next update comes out if it's addressed by the next update, that really depends on the amount of work that has to be done to address the issue.
    HardBeatZ, I guess I really don't understand your response.

You say that there are issues with the encodings of PDF files that the renderer has difficulty in rendering. But previous to that you say there are essentially four buckets that people are falling into with this issue.

How can it simply be a renderer problem is people with supposedly the same version of the renderer are experiencing different results?

For instance, shouldn't all Sprint Pre 1.4.5 users be seeing the same results with the same PDF files?
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I was hoping it would work for me. But I tried and my PDF docs still fail to render. This has been a problem for me only since 1.4.5.
    +1 for me... only an issue since 1.4.5

Thanks for the info HardBeatZ.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed in WebOS 2.0? My boss keeps asking me when this is going to be fixed. He can no longer view contracts from his phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

I try to read the weekly us news & world report weekly pdf file usually between 11-16 MB, with color pictures. About 75% of them "render document failed
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast