Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Saw an iphone commercial last night that showed an app that let's the user view a camera mounted in his living room (like a security camera) while he is away on vacation. Does the PPP have an app like that?
    No. Currently developers do not have access to the camera API which is required to allow this kind of app to be developed. According to reports from Palm's recent developer day event, this, along with mic access, will be coming soon.
    Yes. It does. You have to get an route the camera to a source that relays it on a url that you can go on and watch it. I remember someone did this earlier with their security camera, but that came with a preset URL where you can watch the video.
    You can just purchase an IP camera, very simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    Yea...exactly what i was trying to say.
    I did that on a recent trip, so that I could check on my dog. It wasn't streaming, but could have been if I'd taken more time to set it up. As it was, I got a refreshed image every minute.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I did that on a recent trip, so that I could check on my dog. It wasn't streaming, but could have been if I'd taken more time to set it up. As it was, I got a refreshed image every minute.
    You must LOVE that dog lol. I wouldnt do that for my dog. When i go on trips, i leave my dog at the dog care center.30 dolllars a day doesnt should bad to me.
    screenshots | Orb Networks

this server app worked great on my old LG Dare. It can stream music, tv, video and webcams....atleast it did on my dare. You have to leave a PC on all the time, which I do and I have battery backup. I know it works for tunes on my pre+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    You must LOVE that dog lol. I wouldnt do that for my dog. When i go on trips, i leave my dog at the dog care center.30 dolllars a day doesnt should bad to me.
    Well, we do love the dog, but this was a shorter day trip. We do board him for overnight trips, if we don't take him with us. Which can be hard, since he's a 90-lb German Shepherd.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    So, you're telling me I can buy an IP camera, maybe do a little setup, then direct my Pre browser to the address and stream live video?

If so, can anyone suggest a good camera to use? In theory, should any of them work?
    Many thanks!
    You could use ORB

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    If so, can anyone suggest a good camera to use? In theory, should any of them work?
    Many thanks!
    Kind of but you need to make sure the pre can use the feed. There are cameras that puts it into flash for viewing or activex which our pre's can't handle nor can you extract the video out of them. So just be sure the output of the camera the pre can handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    Sure. You guys always compare how Pre is better than Iphone but we just need to spend little more money.
    I watch my living room on my Pre all the time - complete with live streaming video and sound using Orb.

Webcam ---> PC running Orb ---> Pre logged into Orb web site = Live video stream of my Apt. Sweet.

Orb is free.
    bdubdrum I already called out ORB so that means I beat you lol. But seriously ORB is the fastest and easiest way of doing this with a webcam and also ORB offers so much more than just live webcam feeds. You can access your whole computer.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    Sure. You guys always compare how Pre is better than Iphone but we just need to spend little more money.
    All solutions mentioned are free. So, you do not have to spend more money with a Pre. The security camera in the iphone commercial is not included with the iphone. You need to buy a web-cam or ip-cam separately with either phone.

I used to use ORB, but then upgraded to YOICS, it's like the Pre of ORB type software.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Do I need to change some settings somewhere?
    Whenever I try to play my webcam (connected to PC) video on my Pre, I get an error mssg saying 'There was an error playing the file'.

Can someone help me please?

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    Do I need to change some settings somewhere?
    Whenever I try to play my webcam (connected to PC) video on my Pre, I get an error mssg saying 'There was an error playing the file'.

Can someone help me please?

TIA.
    Try this:
    WebCamXP
    Or any of the software mentioned above:

ORB
    YOICS
    or this:
    YAWCAM

Or let me know what web-cam hardware / software you are using already...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Try this:
    WebCamXP
    Or any of the software mentioned above:

ORB
    YOICS
    or this:
    YAWCAM

Or let me know what web-cam hardware / software you are using already...
    Sorry...I should have mentioned, I am using ORB and getting the error on my Pre.
    Is there a particular video format that I need to choose?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast