Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @RMB Under Settings / Stream select the 3GP-AAC/RTSP (.3gp) option and you should be good to go.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    All solutions mentioned are free. So, you do not have to spend more money with a Pre. The security camera in the iphone commercial is not included with the iphone. You need to buy a web-cam or ip-cam separately with either phone.

I used to use ORB, but then upgraded to YOICS, it's like the Pre of ORB type software.
    Ok, but does the iphone user have to have use something like ORB, i.e., have a computer turned on as an interface between the phone and the cam?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenj View Post
    Ok, but does the iphone user have to have use something like ORB, i.e., have a computer turned on as an interface between the phone and the cam?
    not if your camera supports streaming, but that's down to the camera, and has nothing to do with the phone.

I have an IP webcam, and I can log in directly from my pre by typing rtsp://IP.OF.MY.CAMERA into the web browser. I have this saved as a favorite, so I don't need to type it in every time.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Thanks fellas for all the info ... FWIW, i downloaded Orb and now can get videos and music from my home PC on my phone. Neato! ☺
    Thanks fellas for all the info ... FWIW, i downloaded Orb and now can get videos and music from my home PC on my phone. Neato! ☺
    This is everything that Palm does wrong (and Apple does incredibly right) in a nutshell. Apple sells features that are by no means exclusive to their platform in a way that makes people believe they can only get these features on an iPhone. Palm aren't talking about things you can do with your Pre at all, they're only talking about how easy you can do things - to which most people will say "it's even easier on the iPhone".

Say what you will about Apple, but their marketing machine is very likely the best on Earth today.
    whayy stream setting...i think it's sending me too the iphone site...orb that is...i think I installed the iphone spoof but camt findit to uninstall it...
    if you have a dynamic ip you may want to create an account and a host name at dyndns.com it's free.

I work for a surviellance camera company and our dvrs have apps for iphone symbian and winmo if I ever become a programming genius I will try and port one to webos or create one, that is definitely something I am not able to do now. I can't even get the app I created to support orientation changes now.
    I've got to admit, that would be pretty sweet. Great for baby sitters.
    Remember: "Opinions are like @ssholes, we all have them, and they all stink"
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    I've got to admit, that would be pretty sweet. Great for baby sitters.
    as long as the babysitter is over 18 lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Does it work only with windows xp?

I have vista on my home computer. For some reason, I keep getting errors when trying to stream the video on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've been looking for an easy IP cam app that runs on my Pre, and am experimenting with this website: http://www.cam-viewer.com

It says it's for an iPhone, but seems to be working with my Dlink DCS-5300G ip cam. No PTZ control, but it's a start. I'm getting a slow stream with no need of my computer acting as a middle-man.

I can load the viewing page from the camera's built-in server using the Pre's browser, but it requires an ActiveX control to view the stream. Luckily, PTZ control works fine, and I can use the "snapshot" option to grab a still picture. Stills immediately open in a new web page on the Pre. The audio feed from the cam doesn't come through.

Gonna try some of the suggestions in this thread now. If anyone knows of a program that offers both streaming and PTZ control on my cam (using the Pre), please chime it!

WyreNut
    Last edited by WyreNut; 07/31/2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    will a mac video camera work? The ones built into their macbooks I mean.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf View Post
    will a mac video camera work? The ones built into their macbooks I mean.
    The page appears to be designed for IP cameras - if you can figure out how to forward a port to the webcam in the Mac, it might work. The site asks you for the IP address and port your cam is connected to...

WyreNut
    @WyreNut

is there anything special about your Dlink camera as opposed to my Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000? I can't say I would know how to figure out what port it is using. All I know is it works with Skype...
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I looked at the specs for your cam, and it appears to be a "web cam", not an "IP Camera" (aka a "Network Camera")

The Dlink 5300G has a server built into it, and connects to a network via Wifi or a LAN cable. Your router assigns an IP to it like any other networked device. The website I mention wants this IP address (and login information, so be careful!) so you can gain access by your Pre to view the video feed.

A web cam is a local USB device that attaches to your computer and is not assigned an IP address. It can't run by itself like an IP camera can.

WyreNut
    thank you @wyrenut

clearly a MUCH more expensive camera...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12