Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I tend to keep quiet on matters that can be easily unraveled after the guilty party puts their foot in their own mouth, but some things need an irreversible weapon to squash rumors, lies, and outright scum-bagging. These things I call nuclear weapons, once you let it out there is no going back and usually the party that it is aimed at is destroyed and can not get back up.

I have been doing open source programming longer than most people have been alive on this forum. The outright fallacious attacks that have been happening on this forum lately are disgusting. There will always be trolls, there will always be naive users that drink the kool-aid, there will always be users lied to. People need to step back and look at things from the outside and then maybe they will see for themselves.

I am glad users like my original kernels. I am glad the CPUScaler app came out to interact with my kernel. I am also glad it inspired other kernel hackers to join in on creating better kernels. That fact alone means this project is "open" and available for whoever wants to join in. Whoever claims this is not "open" needs to buy an iPhone and go away. I have *always* been open with respect to what I am doing in the kernel space and technical tidbits. Some people dont like that, they need to buy an iPad.

All things GPL; lets make absolutely *NO* mistake here where the code comes from and who puts their name on things. If anyone wants to go down this road then they will end up like SCO. This is not a threat, it is a guarantee. My code has been available on a public server and build system for quite some time. If you dont know how to look for code nor how to read code then thats not my problem, nor is it anyone's else problem...Alluding to the fact that infers attachment to name recognition on a particular package with no value-add is itself anti-GPL. Please do not make me use that weapon.

For those that have drank the kool-aid and come on to the forums to flame certain users/developers without *any* facts on what is really going on needs to buy an iPhone and go away. The cats are out of the bag, from different parts of the world (literally). Lets not play this game. I do this for a hobby, i dont take donations, never did, and never will.

Which kernel is better for overclocking? Duh, they are the same code base! If you dont believe it then go look at it, versions for both kernel sources are there. But of course some think that is not the case. Grow Up!

To those users that b!tch, complain, and demand particular things in the Preware "*Testing*" feed be fixed ASAP need to get a life. Folks, it is a "*Testing*" feed. *YOU* went out of your way to install the feed and to install a package labeled "Test", "Alpha", or "Beta". Your bug reports are welcomed. Usually workarounds for particular bugs are given out. Dont post threads yelling and screaming for it to be fixed ASAP or yell about something that has been posted 68 times in previous posts. Buy an iPad. This is not our fulltime jobs. There are plenty of disclaimers.

I always accept meaningful technical discussion in the forums or on IRC. Dont come here yelling emotional jibberish and nonsense just to cause an uprise, then edit it 14 times after. All that does is upset developers and potential developers.

There, I said it. I am hoping these inflamatory users go away back to their iPhones so we can have our forums back. I would hate to leave Pre development/hacking due to a couple of bad apples, but this is getting silly.

FYI: http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke....git;a=summary
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 05/05/2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: forgot source/build system link
    Live free or DIE!
    I must have missed a lot. I have no idea what's going on but it seems like some people are deeply offended. Hopefully everything can be worked out. Thanks for any development work you may have done.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I don't know all that's been going on behind the scenes, but wanted to say thanks to unixpsycho for all the work he has done on his own time to help our pre community!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Don't leave
    Haters will always hate. Just keep on keepin' on, because you, caj, Jason, SqyArc, number1pete and the others have done fantastic work. I personally LOVE my PPP with SPK and CPUScalerUltimate!
    Last edited by louwiid; 05/05/2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: corrected typos...sorry SqyArc!
    "Honest to the point of recklessness; self-centered in the extreme."
    Righteous Indignation isn't always a bad thing Unixpyscho, especially when you are completely justified... and you are.

I think the issue for most is simply ignorance (not knowing) and carelessness (not knowing when to be quiet about the things they don't know).

Certainly there are some who will assume no responsibility for learning and will make foolish demands and claims rooted completely in ignorance and ignorance when ignored becomes stupidity.

I am sure the development community has a hard time finding the balance between restricting a given alpha or beta test to those whom they know will handle and respond to it properly and constructively vs. getting it out for the widest possible audience to examine and critique at the risk of dealing with ignorance and worse, stupidity.

All of that to simply say, hats off to you and many others who have done your homework and help make the experience using our devices better.
  7.    #7  
    Jason, SqyArc, and number1pete have done terrific work.
    Live free or DIE!
    aaaaamen!

thanks for all you've done to make my Pre more enjoyable to use!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just wanted to jump on here to tell you thanks for all you've done. Even though the phone would still be usable stock, it's much more enjoyable now thanks to you and the others...
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I haven't been keeping up with all the "flame" threads but Ive seen the headlines and read a couple of posts where people take a very umm, fanatical? stance on the issue of these various overclocking kernals and things. I don't get it.

I got the Pre a little over a month ago and its my first smart phone. I thought the phone was cool and stumbling upon this community made it even better. You guys got me really excited about the flexibility of WebOS and I couldn't believe that these developers and coders were giving this stuff away!

I suppose what I'm getting at is this. There are many of us novice users who really really appreciate the efforts of the developer community. You guys make having these phone fun. So thank you..really. I hope you keep finding this hobby fun cause you make a lot of us lesser geeks happy.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I must have missed a lot. I have no idea what's going on but it seems like some people are deeply offended. Hopefully everything can be worked out. Thanks for any development work you may have done.
    Yes you missed alot, probably a good thing.

All I am going to say is if this goes on I will unload my weapons and open up all the dirty bombs I have locked away. And I am not the only one with tidbits of info that will make this war a futile effort. That wont be pretty.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I have similarly been angered by some of the ego trips, unjustified attacks, uninformed allegations and misplaced aggression shown by some posters. I decided that the best way to help make it go away is not to perpetuate it by responding. I find this saying relevant: Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. thorne
    I run a stock Pre. But, I appreciate what you folks do on the "hack" side as that has made several improvements to be offered on the "stock" side.

I have no idea what the battle is. But, I certainly hope that this 'word to the wise' is sufficient and all you gurus can go back to creating lots of cool things and stop the bitterness.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    There, I said it. I am hoping these inflamatory users go away back to their iPhones so we can have our forums back. I would hate to leave Pre development/hacking due to a couple of bad apples, but this is getting silly.
    Well said. I am completely appreciative of all the work you have done to improve the phone I hold in my hand.
    I've always apeciated the work you guys do I would have given up on this phone a long time ago so thanksfor all you guys do really I do apreciate it have a great day
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Yes you missed alot, probably a good thing.

All I am going to say is if this goes on I will unload my weapons and open up all the dirty bombs I have locked away. And I am not the only one with tidbits of info that will make this war a futile effort. That wont be pretty.
    Wow. Well hopefully it doesn't come to that. Without work that developers like yourself have made then I potentially would have left the Pre a long time ago. Thanks for all your hard work.
    It's really sad that brilliant WebOS minds get attacked for what they do, and that's improve the WebOS experience for us.

Why are people so simple like that?

Without these hard working individuals, we'd still be at 500mhz and waiting 25 seconds for Google Maps to open.
    "Can't we all just get along?" to quote the infamous phrase. I hope all parties involved can work this out (including the one name not mentioned). I've been in this business a long time and the egos in the IT world are just a notch below those of movie stars. Let some time pass and passions cool, I'll spring for the brews when all of you get together. We can't afford to cast anyone aside from developers, to testers, to even the cheerleaders who build enthusiasm for the product, thereby making the user base grow.

OK I lied, we can afford to lose one group of people... and you know who you are. The people who are using pre-production version of things like kernels, patches and the like,who then complain about why something doesn't work the way they want it to. If you don't want to be on the leading edge (sometimes the bleeding edge ), go stock or go home (or go Apple).

And while you are at it, try donating for what you use.
    Seriously, all the fighting over which kernel does this, which kernel doesn't, which kernel sucks, which kernel is superior, etc etc...just makes me not want to install any, which is why I'm still passing time with the 600mhz. Well, that and every time I turn around there seems to be a new name for whatever is out. It would help if there was less crap swung around so you could just try stuff in peace.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    There is an ideal, a way of approaching a forum like this, that is usually present at the beginning, but gets lost eventually. It's the ideal of being helpful, considerate, polite, humble, and honest. It's not just getting along, it's always being helpful and doing the most good. When pride, ambition, and greed come into play, the result is not going to be good for anyone.

Unfortunately, when a certain number of people become involved, you inevitably will have some of those people come into play, and the ideal can be lost. Some sites (some of you might remember sprintgurus in its original incarnation) die as a result.

Precentral is a very large forum, and we definitely have all types here. Sometimes I hate the forums because a simple question gets flamed because of ancilary reasons when, with a lot less effort, the question could have been answered simply.

I look for people who exhibit those five characteristics: helpful, considerate, polite, humble, and honest. When I have questions, I look to those people for answers. When I go back through the various threads related to these events, I cannot help but to see that there is one party who was simply seeking an honest and transparent answer, and another party who attacked the questioner.

in the end, those who do things honestly and openly will prevail against all attacks because all of their work is there for everyone to see.

unixpsycho's frustration is understandable. I don't know what all was said behind the scenes, but I support him and Rod and webosinternals. On the surface, it is patently obvious that the facts weigh on their side.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast