1.    #1  
    I did some searching on iSilo's website to find out if there were any plans for developing a webOS version, and ran across this thread in their forums:

Palm Pre WebOS

In particular, I was intrigued by this statement from the administrator:

Administrator Join Date Dec 2003
    Posts 3,980 Native code
    The Palm Pre as it stands now is basically a web browser and so it does not seem to be a practical possibility to have the functionality of iSilo using Web technologies. It would be slow and cumbersome.

A platform is basically an operating system. Different operating systems have different ways of doing things, such as reading files, interacting with the user through the user interface, etc. As such, an application developed for one platform does not work on a different platform. If you want the functionality of a given application on a different platform, you need to develop a version of that application specifically for that different platform.
    Can somebody clue me in as to what he's talking about, and would it really be that difficult to develop a version for webOS?

I used to use this app a lot on my older Palm devices but havn't made the jump to tryinhg it on Classic yet in hopes that a webOS version would be forthcoming...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I wonder if PDK would help them. Granted I'm not a programmer so I have no clue what I'm talking about, but from what I'm hearing using a PDK you can port your app to WebOS within a day. My guess is probably within a week if you're not familiar with WebOS.
    WebOS uses javascript, HTML, and css as it's native languages; all are most widely used in your computers web browser. The real issue that the admin at iSilo has is that all are considered slow in the programming world, but to be honest, patching would be more difficult (IMO) if this was not the case b/c javascript, html and css are not compiled, they are intreperted at run time. So yes without the PDK we are basically running our apps in a local web browser. The pdk should help this when palm releases it for mixed apps that will use the languages above for the gui and compiled code for background tasks. However I'm not a "dev" more like a hack... So if I got this wrong someone let me know...
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf79 View Post
    WebOS uses javascript, HTML, and css as it's native languages; all are most widely used in your computers web browser. The real issue that the admin at iSilo has is that all are considered slow in the programming world, but to be honest, patching would be more difficult (IMO) if this was not the case b/c javascript, html and css are not compiled, they are intreperted at run time. So yes without the PDK we are basically running our apps in a local web browser. The pdk should help this when palm releases it for mixed apps that will use the languages above for the gui and compiled code for background tasks. However I'm not a "dev" more like a hack... So if I got this wrong someone let me know...
    You are 100% right, but the slow thing is a matter of opinion (I've never heard that before), unless there is something I don't know.
    Didn't stop Kobobooks from making a damn good ereader for webOS, not to mention pReader and Popelli reader... From what I can see, there's nothing special about iSilo that would require even the PDK.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    You are 100% right, but the slow thing is a matter of opinion (I've never heard that before), unless there is something I don't know.
    @Reign25 I totally agree that its not "slow" however, All of the languages uses are interpreted and not compiled, leading the purists (of which I'm not one) to consider the languages slower than compiled code (due to the step of reading and compiling on the fly, etc...) .. There is a reason every now and then we hear about how HTML5, CSS transforms, hardware accel for CSS, etc... will speed up WebOS, its not because we will be getting new hardware (however nice that would be) but that improvements to the underlying webkit engine and how it handles CSS and HTML/Javascript will make more efficient use of the processor and graphics card. Just look at what is going on with the javascript engine "war" between Webkit (safari, webos, Android, etc...) Mozilla, and Opera in terms of Acid compliance and general raw speed of the java engine...

Also for some programs the "power" provided by WebOS isnt really that great without the PDK to run things like graphics processing for the barcode decoding apps, audio for shazam, etc.... Its all on its way, or I would like to hope so when the PDK goes live for mixed apps.

Also its not that you cannot create a great app without the PDK its been done and those programs do a great job at what they need to do... And sorry for getting kind of off topic... As this relates to iSilo and Doc's2Go well, something in their code must be relying on things they seem to not be able to do without some lower level access to things... @wynand32 I'm new to iSilo but it seems to be an editor, not just a reader as per the book apps listed above... again I could be wrong

Also speed is relative to the processor... I am still a student and spent a lot of time this semester comparing running times between compiled and interpreted code (C++ and Perl to be exact) and while each got the job done, sometimes C was a lot faster and other times Perl won out, honestly it all depended on the code itself and the algorithms used. And I really don't know how this comes back in terms of JavaScript... so if anyone has gone that far in time comparisons fill me in
    [QUOTE=DireWolf79;2424385@wynand32 I'm new to iSilo but it seems to be an editor, not just a reader as per the book apps listed above... again I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. Would seem that any editing/creating of iSilo documents happen on a PC, and that the mobile app is for viewing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Didn't stop Kobobooks from making a damn good ereader for webOS, not to mention pReader and Popelli reader... From what I can see, there's nothing special about iSilo that would require even the PDK.
    So why really is iSilo saying they don't want to make a webOS app? Just don't want to take the time?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    So why really is iSilo saying they don't want to make a webOS app? Just don't want to take the time?
    Clearly my bad.... Suppose it would help if I had actually READ the description on their website... I just cheaped out and looked at the screen shots... So yes @jjeffcoat is correct, they are just being slackers about it right now. They only seem to have a version out for everything else under the sun, just not the pre. Lets hope that after the PDK is released they take notice.
    I'm really needing this. I guess i'd better start reading up on how it's working in classic.
    isilo works great on classic
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    isilo works great on classic
    Still want a native webOS version.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Still want a native webOS version.
    Yep, I Could see justification for buying classic if I also had other palm apps I wanted to run.
    I will prolly have to get classic if I end up getting the Att Pre. But I would so much prefer a WebOS version.

It is nice to know it runs well in classic though.
    Sounds like a crock to me. How "fast" does an e-reader need to be? Turn the page every few minutes, scroll around a little...

I noticed that the free ereader in the Palm catalog called "pReader" has been downloaded almost 144,000 times. The Kobo reader has been downloaded about 188,000 times.

The $1.99 Popellie reader has been purchased 1,379 times so far.

It would be better if the paid app had sold a few more, but I have to believe they can be shown that the Palm community can generate sales for this... There are moreiPhone users, but in a 150,000 app catalog, how does anyone iver find theirs?

I would love to see one of the WebOS homebrew devs get on their site and respond to their poor explanation for what it takes to develop for WebOS...

...just sayin'
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    All my ebooks were in isilo format so they wouldn't work in pReader. So I ended up using a pdf printer on my computer and printing all my books to pdf and then converting them to .mobi so that pReader would recognize it. A little bit of a hassle, but worth it in the end.