Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    Interesting thought, however I don't think this is the case, because if I disable GPS and only enable "Google Services" (google services is aGPS), it always work and quickly (but accuracy is way off). With GPS only enabled, it takes forever, if that. I usually do not get a lock unless VZ Nav is open.
    But, Locate via Google Services is not aGPS (at least that which is provided by the carriers).

Here is a description (a couple of years old tho) of Google Services: With Google’s My Location, Who Needs a GPS?

So, it still could be the case. Perhaps VZW does something to its signal from the towers so that Google Services is not very accurate.

Even if Google Services was extremely accurate my hypothesis could still be correct. Even with the location provided by Google Services, the GPS chipset may not be able to utilize that data to assist in getting a strong GPS lock, which would mean you are back to only relying on the satellites.
    Question to those who pay for VZ Nav -

Are you telling me that if you pull the battery out of your phone, put it back, start it up, and load Google Maps without starting VZ Nav you get an immediate lock?

Because if that is not the case, and you still have to open and close VZ Nav to enable the GPS (I gave it 5 minutes to acquire and it never did until I opened VZ Nav which I do not pay for.) then your conspiracy theory goes out the window.

And given the combination of Google Maps and Sprint giving away their navigation, I can't see VZ being able to keep charging for theirs for long anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    And given the combination of Google Maps and Sprint giving away their navigation, I can't see VZ being able to keep charging for theirs for long anyhow.
    Different strokes for different carriers -- this is the same reason why the Pre Plus on VZW is $19.99 and the "old" Pre on Sprint is still $149.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    He hasn't paid for the GPS service.
    Even when you pay for VZ Nav that doesn't mean you will still get use of the other GPS apps. I paid for it and it does the same thing, Load up VZ Nav works just fine in all GPS apps. Close VZ Nav and all other apps go dead until you load up VZ Nav again.
    I am Pain, I am Real, I'm not a dream! (Ayreon)
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkshaman View Post
    What great options. I have been happy with Verizon coverage - if it wasn't so good I'd leave now. Also most of my close relatives have it. It just works well. I talked to 2nd level support with both companies and also with a VZ supervisor. It boils down to this: they admitted issues and an apparent "lockout" and even asserted that the company has plans to lock GPS out on other phones going forward. Though the tech happened to mention to me "my droid works fine". Honestly I wish we could somehow apply some pressure to get a solution. I think the Verizon people wanted to help - but they said they had no way to automatically compensate me monthly to offset the VZ Nav subscription, assuming this would even really solve the issue. Both Palm and Verizon said it would. I guess I have some thinking to do. I will most likely just live with it - which annoys me in some small fashion.
    Or you can switch to Sprint and enjoy unlimited mobile to mobile + unlimited Roaming into Verizon + have GPS + save some money + be happy with all these services.

Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Or you can switch to Sprint and enjoy unlimited mobile to mobile + unlimited Roaming into Verizon + have GPS + save some money + be happy with all these services.

You really get unlimited roaming on verizons network when you're on sprint?

Coverage is my main reason for not using sprint.
    Last edited by merkel85; 05/05/2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Completely off topic sorry :)
    Quote Originally Posted by merkel85 View Post
    You really get unlimited roaming on verizons network when you're on sprint?

Coverage is my main reason for not using sprint.
    Unlimited voice roaming.

There's a limit on data roaming beyond which you pay. I believe it's 5mb.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Unlimited voice roaming.

There's a limit on data roaming beyond which you pay. I believe it's 5mb.
    Additionally, data roaming is limited to 1xRTT.

Plus, you'd have to downgrade from the Pre Plus to the original Pre (with all the attendant problems that entails).
    well....if proof of VZW crippling GPS What about vznavi not waking the gps???? Just happened over the course of 20 minutes. Finally the gps woke up after starting gpsdashbrd.

I really think this a bug that is keeping the gps chipset from opening immediately.....even vz navi won't wake it sometimes....soooooo......
    Can everyone agree that whatever the cause is, it should be fixed so it works on-the-fly?
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    can everyone agree that whatever the cause is, it should be fixed so it works on-the-fly?
    dear god, yes!!!!
    Can everyone agree that whatever the cause is, it should be fixed so it works on-the-fly?
    The one reasonable comment ON point with the problem.

I could care less about who to point the finger at - I just want the damn thing to work.
    Amen!
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    I'm not a VZ customer, but from reading everyone's findings on the matter I do believe they ARE blocking GPS. They want your money and will nickel and dime you for anything they can. That's why I'm a loyal Sprint customer (for 10 years).
    amen to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkshaman View Post
    Also a longtime Verizon Wireless customer. Quick summary:

GPS not working on mine or wife's Pre Plus.

- called VZ support, he couldn't fix, he called Palm directly
    - GPS chipset tested with Palm tech - confirmed working - but slow
    - 2nd level Palm tech - asserted that unless I have VZ Nav subscription I am out of luck - it is a VZ issue they have no solution for and I will not have GPS level accuracy without it. I might get intermittent, but not continuous locks without.
    - Called back verizon and explained - gave case information - and was told I have 3 options:

1. Switch to another phone (I don't want this - I want this one to work as promised.)
    2. Cancel contract with no penalties.
    3. Get VZ Nav and get a credit for one month, and call every month to get a credit for it. Joy.

What great options. I have been happy with Verizon coverage - if it wasn't so good I'd leave now. Also most of my close relatives have it. It just works well. I talked to 2nd level support with both companies and also with a VZ supervisor. It boils down to this: they admitted issues and an apparent "lockout" and even asserted that the company has plans to lock GPS out on other phones going forward. Though the tech happened to mention to me "my droid works fine". Honestly I wish we could somehow apply some pressure to get a solution. I think the Verizon people wanted to help - but they said they had no way to automatically compensate me monthly to offset the VZ Nav subscription, assuming this would even really solve the issue. Both Palm and Verizon said it would. I guess I have some thinking to do. I will most likely just live with it - which annoys me in some small fashion.
    try sprint you wont regret it trust me.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by electrical1213 View Post
    try sprint you wont regret it trust me.
    I did try Sprint, and I did regret it.
    Nicky
    this is exhausting. I cannot buy the conspiracy theory until you answer one question. If VZ is crippling GPS_ then how do you explain it when users (like me) that has excellent accuracy on their Pre+?

granted it isn't as good as my garmin.

over theast two days I've been leaving my pre+ and blackerry curve (at&t) on my dash oard. But run the same basic version of google maps.

although I thinks google maps is a generally crappy app (except on android), the speed, accuracy is the same.

the phone clearly needs to be on the dashboard to get a signal. When it goes to sleep I might have to hit the lue button to update the map. But, is works just as well as my BB.

did verizon just miss one batch when they stormed the factory to cripple phones? Or do they just like me better?

how do you explain my phone(s) working? Will vz realize their error and show up at my house to break it?
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Same here. This is not the first time Verizon has done this. They did it with the Motorola winmo phone that my friend had and I had the same phone with no gps probles.
    They've done it for every one of HTC's winmo phones too. Usually they provide an update when the phone becomes a "meh" phone to enable aGPS in 3rd party apps. I highly doubt Verizon is treating its WebOS phones the same way it did winmo especially when a good portion of people with Palm phones on Verizon get GPS fixes just fine. Also, this is probably another kink in the combination of the software and network just like the MMS over WiFi problem. Why do you trouble us conspiracy theorists?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    this is exhausting. I cannot buy the conspiracy theory until you answer one question. If VZ is crippling GPS_ then how do you explain it when users (like me) that has excellent accuracy on their Pre+?

granted it isn't as good as my garmin.

over theast two days I've been leaving my pre+ and blackerry curve (at&t) on my dash oard. But run the same basic version of google maps.

although I thinks google maps is a generally crappy app (except on android), the speed, accuracy is the same.

the phone clearly needs to be on the dashboard to get a signal. When it goes to sleep I might have to hit the lue button to update the map. But, is works just as well as my BB.

did verizon just miss one batch when they stormed the factory to cripple phones? Or do they just like me better?

how do you explain my phone(s) working? Will vz realize their error and show up at my house to break it?
    May be you have exceptionally good phone. By the way on my Pre+ Verizon Nav finds me when the phone is not on the dashboard, but on the holster on my belt. Settings are GPS only (no google location services). But if I try Google Maps alone- I can wait 5 min and get no GPS signals found...
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    I did try Sprint, and I did regret it.
    I regretted it and I'm on Vz now too
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast