Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Ive been around the smartphone wheel in the last 3 months. Ive had Droids, Blackberrys, and Pre's.

I am due for an upgrade this week and I didnt feel like spending $200 on a phone. And I think the Web OS is fantastic.

Is there any benefit to purchasing a PRE from verizon right now? Is the later builds better than the earlier ones?
    As a Verizon customer, I'm happy with my phone. But I have no comparison to offer you to Sprint.

However, my question back to you is ... why? You could have the Droid Incredible - which looks to be an incredible smartphone. Why Palm Pre? Just curious ...
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    webOS is a lot more intuitive than Android OS. As for build quality, they should all be the same (or similar) as I believe Verizon is still trying to move their original shipment of phones so should all have build dates around the same time.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toddfoutz View Post
    why? You could have the Droid Incredible - which looks to be an incredible smartphone. Why Palm Pre? Just curious ...

He told you, he didn't want to spend $200 and thought that WebOS is fantastic. So he's looking at getting a cheaper phone with the best OS out there vs. more expensive phones with more capabilities but not as nice user experience.

As for phone builds, I think VZW has all the same builds. It's between VZW or sprint which has half the ram and a trackball in the gesture area. VZW phone is better except for the fact that it has no working GPS unless you pay $10 a month. Droids have GPS and more apps. Choices, choices.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    I am due for an upgrade this week and I didnt feel like spending $200 on a phone. And I think the Web OS is fantastic.

Is there any benefit to purchasing a PRE from Verizon right now? Is the later builds better than the earlier ones?

Well, Version is selling the Pre now $30 with contract. It has 16gb of storage, and iirc 256k more ram than sprints Palm Pre. Verizon is also offering free tethering hotspot

I would go with the pre (although I am bias) I have check both the droid (and there website) and feel that all the thing I need and want are right in the Pre.
    Last edited by Vkitty; 05/05/2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Pre is a wonderful phone! Mine's with sprint though. I have a twin who has the Droid Incredible, and i got to play with it... not a bad phone, very speedy internet, but i do find webos to be a lil more smoother. I am just sittin here... twiddelin my thumbs, waiting for flash.
    Ive been around the smartphone wheel in the last 3 months. Ive had Droids, Blackberrys, and Pre's.
    I'm confused, you had Droid, Blackberry and the Pre? What did you test drive each phone for a month? I'm kind of lost
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I'm confused, you had Droid, Blackberry and the Pre? What did you test drive each phone for a month? I'm kind of lost
    I had them all at separate times. Im going with the pre because its $30 right now at Verizon, it had the best OS in my opinion that Ive tried, and the size is perfect for me.

I have tried all of the other smartphones, and specs mean very little if the OS is difficult. I have not seen much difference from a 3.2mp camera to the 5mp camera that the droid has.

I feel that if WebOS can keep growing, it will be a great option.
    good choice! Android is like gnome on a phone, feels clunky. In my opinion if you have to skin your GUI (HTC Sense) then your gui is busted.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    It's between VZW or sprint which has half the ram and a trackball in the gesture area.
    Just a quick clarification: it's a button, not a trackball.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdan View Post
    good choice! Android is like gnome on a phone, feels clunky. In my opinion if you have to skin your GUI (HTC Sense) then your gui is busted.
    I think you will find that most Android phones in the future will only have Sense or Motoblur. Android stock is blah. AND now that the Incredible runs Sense, you will find most people will get used to Sense and not stock android.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    ... As for phone builds, I think VZW has all the same builds. It's between VZW or sprint which has half the ram and a trackball in the gesture area. VZW phone is better except for the fact that it has no working GPS unless you pay $10 a month. Droids have GPS and more apps. Choices, choices.
    It's not a trackball, just a simple pushbutton with a notification light inside.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Good choice. I was in the exact same boat. Wanted a Smartphone and I wanted it cheap. I never had one before and I got the Pre Plus and got one because it was 50 bucks and it came with free mobile wifi. Wow did WebOS impress, I do not regret my decision.

Even if I had the 200 to get an Incredible I would not. I have spent all week using a friend's Incredible and while it is fast and very well featured, Android OS even with Sense just doesn't feel as intuitive as Web OS. I do not like all the buttons or the Incredible's navigation paradigm. Android feels clunky; Web OS just flows.

Im happy with my Palm Pre Plus, though stock I feel its slow. Overclocking woke it up for me and really has allowed me to enjoy and appreciate the software. On better hardware Palm's mobile OS is going to be a force to be reckoned with. I cant wait.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    Good choice. I was in the exact same boat. Wanted a Smartphone and I wanted it cheap. I never had one before and I got the Pre Plus and got one because it was 50 bucks and it came with free mobile wifi. Wow did WebOS impress, I do not regret my decision.

Even if I had the 200 to get an Incredible I would not. I have spent all week using a friend's Incredible and while it is fast and very well featured, Android OS even with Sense just doesn't feel as intuitive as Web OS. I do not like all the buttons or the Incredible's navigation paradigm. Android feels clunky; Web OS just flows.

Im happy with my Palm Pre Plus, though stock I feel its slow. Overclocking woke it up for me and really has allowed me to enjoy and appreciate the software. On better hardware Palm's mobile OS is going to be a force to be reckoned with. I cant wait.
    How do you feel about the slider? does it get old sliding it up just to text after a while??
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Ive only had mine for a little over a month so I can not really speak to the slider's durability. But as far the the mechanic of using the slider to text. For me its not a bother at all, after a few days it becomes quite natural and can be done easily with one hand.

Is there any benefit to purchasing a PRE from verizon right now? Is the later builds better than the earlier ones?
    I'm not really certain what you are asking here. It sounds as though you have already made up your mind. Currently Verizon is almost giving away the Palm Pre Plus (as long as you are willing to make the 2 year commitment). Customer support for this particular phone seems to vary very greatly depending upon where you are located - generally Verizon employees are getting a reputation that would indicate they haven't a clue about this phone and have no personal interest in fixing that ignorance. (MY opinion - and as always there are many fine exceptions).

1. The Palm Pre Plus (back to the original Palm Pre) does not currently support voice dialing. There are workarounds such as buying a "smart" bluetooth headset and selected "hands free devices" for your car.

2. MANY people have difficulties with using GPS related apps on their Verizon Palm Pre Plus *UNLESS* they decide to pay an additional $9.99 and activate VZNavigator - in which case all problems with GPS v/s other apps has the appearance of going away.

3. A HUGE number of users had problems with the keyboard - as of WebOS 1.4.1.1 most of those complaints have seemed to go away. (Personally I have had NO problems with my keyboard).

If item #1 & #2 above are not "deal killers" for you - you will get one heck of a lot of "bang for the buck" on a Verizon Palm Pre Plus at present.

Saving that much money on a smartphone should permit you to buy a "smart" bluetooth headset - and possibly a couple of TouchStone chargers, (one for your desk/workstation and one for your car).

Hope this helps, but again it sounds like you are already pretty aware of what you are proposing to get in to. I absolutely LOVE WebOS!!!!
    How do you feel about the slider? does it get old sliding it up just to text after a while??
    I changed from a slab (Centro) to the Pre slider 11 months ago (tomorrow) and I am not tired of the slider. I would rather have the slider than have a smaller screen.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Thanks guys for all your imput. I will be getting my pre plus tomorrow, I cannot wait.
    Thanks guys for all your imput. I will be getting my pre plus tomorrow, I cannot wait.
    Here are two more reasons I don't syc with gMail...

Major University Dumps Gmail Over Security Concerns

Google Calendar Goes Down

...I'm just sayin'
    Since you've already said you're going with the Pre Plus this post is pretty pointless but I need to express myself:

It's incredibly how much build quality has improved from my release-day o2 GSM Pre to the new o2 GSM Pre Pluses. My Pre had MAJOR oreo issues (which were repaired) and has slightly creaked since day one. That's not at all a killer argument for me, more of an idiosyncracy - my HTC Charmer would randomly, hilariously, lose its battery cover (and automatically shut down upon losing it) while my HTC Herald also had oreo issues and liked to spontaneously power down for no apparent reason. But the Plus devices seem rock-solid, and that just calls forth a lot of respect.

My friend recently bought an iPhone "because of the better build quality". The back cover of his device is approximately 1mm wider than the front part, and there's a noticeably edge on both sides...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast