1.    #1  
    I can safely say I have deduced the source of my annoying problem with facebook lately. Ever since I started using it on my pre, I no longer see things in chronological order... Instead I see the "most popular" items in the news feed. I couldn't give 2 ****s about what's most popular, I want to see what's happening in the here and now. It looks really dumb when I comment on something from 3 days ago, and never end up seeing something that the same person posted 15 minutes ago.

I can switch this back to the "most recent" setting by actually visiting the facebook page either on the phone or from my PC, but it seems that the facebook app forces this setting back to "top news"

Is there a fix? a patch perhaps? I'll happily throw some money towards a solution.
    My experience is that that's not Pre's fault. If you're referring to desktop version of Facebook, it always defaults back to "Top News" after logging out for a while. My Pre's Facebook app always displays me the "Most Recent". I don't think you can even change that on the Pre. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't know about the app, but for the regular Web site, you have to be sure your bookmark for the site includes "home.php?sk=lf" at the end ("lf" = "Live Feed"). That way, you will always get the Live Feed view. I have my bookmarks set like this on both my phone and computer. (The easiest way to do it is make sure you're on Live Feed view and then make that page's URL your bookmark URL.)