Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Hi I just got my pre plus a week ago but since then ive noticed that the slider mechanism is a bit loose or wobbly. When the slider is open or closed it does it. Nothing major just a small movement.. Does anyone else has this problem? Should I exchange it for another one?
    Define "small movement". Mine has about 1mm, or less than a tenth of an inch, when it is opened. Otherwise it's solid. You do realize that a slider mechanism, at least one that allows you to actually open the phone without a ton of force, is going to have a slight amount of play? It's inherent in this type of mechanism. I've seen more play on other sliders than on the Pre+. If you have more movement than that, then the phone's slider mechanism isn't properly tightened, or there is wear and tear in the mechanism. At that point you should seek a new replacement.
    I have the exact same problem. Nothing like Falcon or other homers defending Palm at all costs. Don't get me wrong, I love palm and webos, but the hardware is still half baked. I have had my phone for two weeks and noticed that the slider gets looser by the day. The best solution is to get one of the slider cases sold at the Verizon store. My wife has one on hers and her slider is still tight. It's impossible to know how loose is too loose, but I would guess that if you and I are noticing it and taking the time to post, then it is probably another issue Palm needs to deal with.
    Do you keep trying to twist it back and forth to "see" if it's looser? If so, you do realize that you can make the slider issue a self-fulfilling prophecy, right? I've touched and used many other phones. I also know someone at work who's been through tons of them and generally doesn't like sliders because they all exhibit this issue to one degree or another. He flat out told me, today no less, that it's the least movement he's seen from a slider phone.

I have no doubt that the original Pre slider mechanism sucked. But it is quite obvious that the Pre+ is much better than that. Go grab any slider at the phone store and do some twisting to see how the other are. They all have some play. They have to to be able to properly close without the use of undue force. If you have more movement than that, then you are either messing with it too much, or need to return a defective unit.
    You guys have what's known as an Oreo Pre. Most Pre's have a tad of wiggle in most cases it's when its closed (that's my experience).

It's mostly normal until they come out with different hardware.

Please read all the existing threads on this subject. You can find them doing a search on 'oreo'

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Well mine came with the slider loose already.. I haven't even dropped it. I love my palm pre but it just gets in my nerves feeling its loose. Maybe I'll just get a case so i don't feel the movement and pretend that nothing ever happened.. thx guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by pobthemaster10 View Post
    Well mine came with the slider loose already.. I haven't even dropped it. I love my palm pre but it just gets in my nerves feeling its loose. Maybe I'll just get a case so i don't feel the movement and pretend that nothing ever happened.. thx guys!
    If you just got it, and you feel uncomfortable with the amount of movement in the slider, take it back and get another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pobthemaster10 View Post
    Hi I just got my pre plus a week ago but since then ive noticed that the slider mechanism is a bit loose or wobbly. When the slider is open or closed it does it. Nothing major just a small movement.. Does anyone else has this problem? Should I exchange it for another one?
    I wouldent cause you might end up with a keyboard that dosent work. I sent mine in 3 times and last time was to palm. So if i was you i would just leave it how it is. o and when palm "fixed" it my j wont work and my slider is horrible and my landscape is off. Just not happy with Palm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!