Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So pretty much, I read how cpu scaler saves battery (i still run with a stock battery), so I decided to try it out. I tried 250-800mhz for about3 weeks now and each time I press the power button, the phone either takes a few secs or it comes up and starts off really really slow. I mean, you can notice it. The apps load up slower and everything stays slow for about 4mins or so and it picks up. So I tried scaling at 500-800mhz as always yesterday and hell, I have to admit, my phone is in top notch shape again like before!..I would advise everyone to keep scaling at that speed!..

BTW, I increased my brightness to 80, does anyone know if this kills the battery alot? I love a bright Pre Screen. 16% was getting on my nerves!
    Last edited by Jason Black; 05/04/2010 at 05:51 PM.
    I would say that 250-800 is too wide a range most people are sticking with 500 to 800
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I would say that 250-800 is too wide a range most people are sticking with 500 to 800
    I made a big mistake of switching to 250-800 mhz..The lags were dreadful. I got mad just waiting for my GD pictures to load, so I had to make that switch. Do you know if 80% brightness kills the battery like the gps does?
    Not like the gps but if you have the screen on a lot (like when you are browsing, watching a movie etc.) it will trim some time off your battery life
    I also noticed that when I was scaling from 250-800 with the "Faster Card Animations HYPER Version" patch enabled, I was getting serious lagginess and the other symptoms noted by the OP. Since I removed that patch, I no longer have those issues even scaling from 250-800. I suppose I should try 500-800 and maybe I'll be even happier...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I also noticed that when I was scaling from 250-800 with the "Faster Card Animations HYPER Version" patch enabled, I was getting serious lagginess and the other symptoms noted by the OP. Since I removed that patch, I no longer have those issues even scaling from 250-800. I suppose I should try 500-800 and maybe I'll be even happier...
    I noticed the same thing too, I removed the "hyper version" and installed the "faster" version, much better.
  7.    #7  
    Hey Netwrkr9,the stock version is actually faster....weird lol...I'll try the "faster" one and see whats up. I wish it was safe to scale the pre at 800-800mphz lol
    Last edited by Jason Black; 05/04/2010 at 08:26 PM.
    It's been stated through the overclocking threads that 250mhz is deemed unstable for the Pre and should not be used.
    mine was acting up 500-800,,,,so you know what i did???????? now im doing 600-800 works perfect try it
    I am back to the full time 800 patch, the scaling thing did not work for me
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    mine was acting up 500-800,,,,so you know what i did???????? now im doing 600-800 works perfect try it
    how can did you do that?..i want to scale at 600-800mhz?...Is it possible to scale at 700-800?
    Faster Card Animation patch, Uber-Kernel set to 500Mhz min, 800Mhz set speed and 800Mhz max, seems to work great.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Instability below 500mhz is due to a bug in the Palm kernel. Given that stock devices never run below 500, I wouldn't hold my breath on this being fixed unless it so happens to have other negative symptoms.

So far there doesn't seem to be much evidence that scaling has any positive impact on battery life. The fact that the processor can complete its tasks in fewer clock cycles and return to idle faster seems to be outweighing the lower power draw from running at slower speeds. Scaling is probably only going to be helpful on systems with a lot more spare processing overhead than the Pre has. There's not much you can do with the phone that doesn't cause it to throttle up unless your settings are very conservative, which tends to be incredibly laggy.

Where scaling is useful is in protecting a device that tends to run too hot (on the CPU, not the battery).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    how can did you do that?..i want to scale at 600-800mhz?...Is it possible to scale at 700-800?

yes ,,but the put of scaling is to save battery life
  15.    #15  
    How do I scale from 600-800mhz?
    govnah!!!
  17.    #17  
    Does it really work?
  18.    #18  
    Im currently scaling at 720-800Mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Im currently scaling at 720-800Mhz.
    i was thinking about doing that, but im good at 600-800
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Instability below 500mhz is due to a bug in the Palm kernel. Given that stock devices never run below 500, I wouldn't hold my breath on this being fixed unless it so happens to have other negative symptoms.

So far there doesn't seem to be much evidence that scaling has any positive impact on battery life. The fact that the processor can complete its tasks in fewer clock cycles and return to idle faster seems to be outweighing the lower power draw from running at slower speeds. Scaling is probably only going to be helpful on systems with a lot more spare processing overhead than the Pre has. There's not much you can do with the phone that doesn't cause it to throttle up unless your settings are very conservative, which tends to be incredibly laggy.

Where scaling is useful is in protecting a device that tends to run too hot (on the CPU, not the battery).
    i am kind of testing the spk with scaling right now and im not noticing any battery life differences right now, it seems maybe like its even worse.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast