1.    #1  
    This is some exciting news, Google announced that its web engines within Chrome are increasing speed 30-35% in the latest beta... this appears to be the same tool that Palm uses in its OS.

So if our phones can get faster on the software side from this and other things like the fall webOS update that is going to allow CSS transforms and GPU utilization I can only see this phone getting better with time. Lots of times I buy a device and it only performs worse over time, this might be an exception lol.

Palm Bet on the Future with webOS | PalmNewsDaily.com
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    Well how much slower could it really be?
  3.    #3  
    I dont know how 30% speed increase in that engine transfers to webos but man that is a pretty nice improvement, if it is a big part of webos than I think all of us would take a 30% improvement

Devs? Anyone know what all this means to Palm?
  4.    #4  
    bump, any developer or computer/internet expert want to voice off about the improvement... will webOS get 30% quicker with these new browser technology advancements?
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    This is some exciting news, Google announced that its web engines within Chrome are increasing speed 30-35% in the latest beta... this appears to be the same tool that Palm uses in its OS.

So if our phones can get faster on the software side from this and other things like the fall webOS update that is going to allow CSS transforms and GPU utilization I can only see this phone getting better with time. Lots of times I buy a device and it only performs worse over time, this might be an exception lol.

Palm Bet on the Future with webOS | PalmNewsDaily.com
    All of that is nice but we would still benefit the most from a multi cpu implementation.
    I think: No, at least not 30% ... 5% in maximum is my bet.
    Why? Desktop Computers are completely different beasts. Multi core, lots of memory, loots of computing power, memory bandwidth FAR beyond any mobile device ...
    Webkit is the technology shared by webos and chrome. If this is what has improved 30%, the code responsible for executing javascript, then you could see the same percentage of improvements throughout WebOS, wherever it uses javascript.

This of corse depends on if these improvements were of webkit from chromium (the open source project chrome comes from) or a set of improvements google has no interest in releasing.

I could see some speed improvements coming up here, but Palm/HP still needs to include it into webos, a possibly large undertaking.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Webkit is the technology shared by webos and chrome. If this is what has improved 30%, the code responsible for executing javascript, then you could see the same percentage of improvements throughout WebOS, wherever it uses javascript.

This of corse depends on if these improvements were of webkit from chromium (the open source project chrome comes from) or a set of improvements google has no interest in releasing.

I could see some speed improvements coming up here, but Palm/HP still needs to include it into webos, a possibly large undertaking.
    well that is just it, one of the guys at Palm tweeted about webos getting faster as a result of the news google broke, for the tweet and google info see the link I posted earlier.
    No other way but up at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post

Webkit is an Apple technology. Apple and Palm share it seeing how it's "Open".
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Webkit is an Apple technology. Apple and Palm share it seeing how it's "Open".
    what?! actually it's based on konqueror. and it's isn't something that 'apple and palm share'.

nokia, palm, google, apple, linux, and lots of applications use webkit.

nokia's actually been using it for a very long time - but their implementation of it sucks so noone notices.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Well how much slower could it really be?
    +1
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    what?! actually it's based on konqueror. and it's isn't something that 'apple and palm share'.

nokia, palm, google, apple, linux, and lots of applications use webkit.

nokia's actually been using it for a very long time - but their implementation of it sucks so noone notices.
    Isn't it great that apple took a good open source product and turned it into a great one for the rest of the community to share?