1.    #1  
    I purchased my Pre almost a year ago, and it's been a pretty good phone. Unfortunately, I think it got dropped one too many times and it became unusable for making phone calls (massive static and screeches, etc.). Fortunately, I paid for the total replacement insurance and was able to get a new one to replace it. I let it update WebOS to the current version (1.4.1.1, I believe).

I've discovered something that this phone does that my old phone didn't do - when I've got it plugged into the charger, the screen won't stay on. It waits however long I've got the time set for under Screen & Locking, and then shuts off. My old phone would stay on when plugged into a power source unless I pressed the power button for a second to shut it off.

Since when I'm traveling in my car, I've got the phone in a dash mount plugged into the cigarette lighter, I like having the screen on so that I can access functions right away without having to stretch the little bit further and press-and-hold a button, and then fumble with entering my unlock code so that I can then change a song playing in the music player that I don't want to hear right now or whatever.

What the heck am I missing? I did have Preware installed on the old phone (haven't gotten around to installing it on the new phone yet) - was *that* where I had given myself the option (via a patch)? Am I hallucinating? <grin> All I know is I'd like to have that feature back, and I just can't seem to figure out how to turn it on. It makes perfect sense to me to have the screen off when on battery power, but when plugged in, I really don't want it doing an auto-shutoff.

Any suggestions on how to get this old function back? When I get Preware installed again, will I simply find that there's a patch for that?

Thanks for any help!

--Dave
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Dave View Post
    I purchased my Pre almost a year ago, and it's been a pretty good phone. Unfortunately, I think it got dropped one too many times and it became unusable for making phone calls (massive static and screeches, etc.). Fortunately, I paid for the total replacement insurance and was able to get a new one to replace it. I let it update WebOS to the current version (1.4.1.1, I believe).

I've discovered something that this phone does that my old phone didn't do - when I've got it plugged into the charger, the screen won't stay on. It waits however long I've got the time set for under Screen & Locking, and then shuts off. My old phone would stay on when plugged into a power source unless I pressed the power button for a second to shut it off.

Since when I'm traveling in my car, I've got the phone in a dash mount plugged into the cigarette lighter, I like having the screen on so that I can access functions right away without having to stretch the little bit further and press-and-hold a button, and then fumble with entering my unlock code so that I can then change a song playing in the music player that I don't want to hear right now or whatever.

What the heck am I missing? I did have Preware installed on the old phone (haven't gotten around to installing it on the new phone yet) - was *that* where I had given myself the option (via a patch)? Am I hallucinating? <grin> All I know is I'd like to have that feature back, and I just can't seem to figure out how to turn it on. It makes perfect sense to me to have the screen off when on battery power, but when plugged in, I really don't want it doing an auto-shutoff.

Any suggestions on how to get this old function back? When I get Preware installed again, will I simply find that there's a patch for that?

Thanks for any help!

--Dave
    Did you have the 'no auto off while charging' patch installed earlier?
    Without it, the screen would turn off as far as I know.
    It's a patch. Default functionality is to have the screen turn off just like normal. So yeah, you probably installed that patch from preware and forgot about it.
    Yeah, two ways to go, either the "no auto off while charging" patch or the "more standby times" patch where it gives you the option in the "Screen & Lock" app to set your Pre to never turn off (can still turn the screen off with the power button if desired).
  5.    #5  
    Ok, that sounds promising - thanks!

As soon as I can get Preware installed later today, I'll be all over looking for that patch as well as the others that I *do* remember having from before. :-) It could also have been from before my installing Preware, from back in the days when you had to root your Pre to install patches via the shell. I could have easily put in a patch that way that wouldn't show up in Preware. So yea, I'll be making sure to check for it once Preware is back in.

Thanks again!

--Dave
    Last edited by Super_Dave; 05/03/2010 at 08:48 PM.