Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1) I love the idea of the palm pre.. and I love the OS. However, with Palm's current financial state and the recent HP acquisition, are you concerned with the future support that the Pre/Pixi + will get?

2) Do you ever feel 'left out' in the app store/community because of the low volume of phones or the low publicity of the phone? I want a phone that will be future-proof (to a reasonable degree).

3) Do you have ANY gripes about the phone? Anything at all that could cause a problem over time. I.e., I hear of GPS issues.

4) Do you have buyer's remorse or no regrets?

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate any help you can give me. Again, I am really leaning towards this phone. I honestly like Android phones better, but I need the Mobile Hotspot from the Pre, and I think I can live with the Pre, but I am mainly concerned with the low marketshare.
    1) It is now looking better than ever for continuing support and development yet we won't see the full effects for a very long time, though I think they will be good.

2)I have found that the current app stores satisfies my needs and can only get better, a month or two and we should be somewhere pretty good in my opinion.

3)No, use it properly and you will be fine. You can always patch and overclock it into the phone that is perfect for your needs. This is so easy thanks to the homebrew community.

4)The second day I had the phone I was a little scared because I didn't understand it, but 3 days later and I had found a hell of a lot cool features and was in love with it. So simply put, no regrets.

I have used some android but I much prefer my webOS experience. Use it, learn all the cool features and I doubt you will want a different OS or phone (well except the mythical c40 ofcourse)
    Last edited by pip smith; 05/03/2010 at 08:06 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks a lot for your response. It's greatly appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    1) It is now looking better than ever for continuing support and development yet we won't the full effects for a very long time, yet I think they will be good.
    I'll second this. webOS is now strategic to HP's future success in the smartphone market. That is, webOS is now strategic to a $120 billion a year company that: 1) is currently #1 in the PC market, 2) that recognizes the strategic importance of the mobile market, and that 3) without the acquisition, had no way to differentiate itself in said market.

webOS is what HP plans on using to go after Apple. If we don't see HP throwing hundreds of millions of dollars into further webOS development and marketing, I'll be a monkey's uncle.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Remorse? Regrets? = NO

The major problem with the Pre is its battery life. To overcome this, I got a bigger battery and car charger;problem solved. Also, you could get a Touchstone,etc. Plus, you can configure the Pre to last a day on the original battery.

Another common problem is the phone gets stuck in the headset mode. My solution is to periodically clean the headset plug-in hole with a Q-tip that I ever-so-lightly dip in the lubricant WD-40.

The Pre is a great phone! Speed it up to 800 mHz and it is even better.
    1) No worries at all!
    2) I bought this phone knowing that I was getting a first generation device. I knew that it would take a while for apps to happen. Android went through the same thing. Could there be more apps, sure, but Palm is taking the time to build an OS that will not have to deal with fragmentation (Android) and is simple enough for web coders to build apps and complex enough for apps to access every aspect of the hardware. If you're patient, WebOS WILL have more apps. But it will take time and patience. And the things I like about the phone allow me to be patient.

3) Personally, I love the form factor. I'm still on my first Pre, the hardware is solid. The only thing I want is more memory and faster processor, but I will always want that no matter what phone I have. And I've always got an extra battery and a car charger, but a new phone with better battery life would be great, and rumour has it, it's on its way.

4) No regrets at all! I've said this in other posts. I've been at more than one meeting with Blackberry owners and they're astonished at having a full and fast web browser. I've been at meetings with iPhone owners and gone from web page, to calendar, to text message and back to web page so smoothly that I know I just CAN'T do an iPhone now. Swiping cards around has really spoiled me. I know that the iPhone is finally getting multi tasking, and I'm sure it's going to be great, but the way WebOS does it, is just so elegant.

Now of course, any phone you get will have shortcomings. The most important thing is that the phone you have gives you what you want. If what you want is great multi tasking, elegant notifications, 3d gaming, no OS fragmentation, effortless cloud syncing, small form factor, physical keyboard, well... then you'll love the Pre.

And don't be afraid to jump into Preware and get the Uber Kernal and patch the heck out of your phone. It's really safe, and fun and adds so much functionality!
    You mentioned pre/pixi + and then gps issues. The + versions are available on verizon and soon att, while the standard is on sprint. The GPS seems to be more stable on Sprint phones.

If you are worried about the standard pre vs. the +, let me assure you that with it at 800mhz, the lag is hardly noticeable. The + has more storage, too. I have 10 3d games, and maybe 40 cds on my 8GB, and no problems, however, I don't watch video on it.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    This phone is the bomb, yo.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    This phone is the bomb, yo.
    Well put! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    1) I love the idea of the palm pre.. and I love the OS. However, with Palm's current financial state and the recent HP acquisition, are you concerned with the future support that the Pre/Pixi + will get?
    Actually, I think the HP acquisition is probably some of the best news that Palm could have received. Sure they could have potentially survived on their own (i was pushing for them), but with HP, at least you have a company that pledged support for webOS and wants it to succeed. It's not like HTC is buying Palm for the patents or to take pieces of webOS and integrate it into their own software, but you have HP who is "doubling down on webOS". no worries here!

2) Do you ever feel 'left out' in the app store/community because of the low volume of phones or the low publicity of the phone? I want a phone that will be future-proof (to a reasonable degree).
    I do feel left out of some apps when I see everything from Shoprite to R.E.M. to Entertainment Weekly has an iPhone App but webOS isn't feeling the love, but then i realize that (1) I love webOS as an OS so much more, (2) even with just the Apps we have now, i love this phone, (3) we are getting more and more apps all the time, and (4) from everything we have seen with the PDK, Palm has made it SO EASY for developers to port their apps from other platforms to webOS, that once we get an official PDK, i wonder if we will start to see a lot of more apps on webOS

3) Do you have ANY gripes about the phone? Anything at all that could cause a problem over time. I.e., I hear of GPS issues.
    No GPS issues for me on my Sprint Pre, but I have 3 main gripes about the phone:
    1. I get too many "Too Many Cards Error" when I run a lot of apps, or need to run a 3D game, but this is not an issue with the Pre Plus on verizon, and I hope Sprint will get newer hardware this summer
    2. Battery Life is not great -- But, I have a touchstone charger, a spare battery, and an external charger ( http://store.precentral.net/motorola...8A171A5743.htm ), so I am pretty covered.
    3. The "lag" you sometimes get with the OS. But, each OTA update has made this better, patches help out with this at times, and the developer community has come up with creative ways to speed things up. Also, from what Palm has laid out with their software roadmap, I would expect future updates to make these even better in the future

4) Do you have buyer's remorse or no regrets?
    NO REGRETS AT ALL!

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate any help you can give me. Again, I am really leaning towards this phone. I honestly like Android phones better, but I need the Mobile Hotspot from the Pre, and I think I can live with the Pre, but I am mainly concerned with the low marketshare.
    Before the Droid, what was Android's marketshare? When Palm gets their 2.0 Hardware and Software, and if they have HP's marketing money behind them, webOS can hopefully take off. But even if it doesn't, webOS is by far the best OS out there and the homebrew community can really help "fill in the blanks" where there are holes in the OS. And, with the free mobile hotspot, why wouldn't you want to get this phone!

Good luck!
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    good questions. No worries. Order your phone right now. Verizonwireless.com is open all night!!!
    1) No, not worried, especially now that HP is purchasing Palm.

2) No, the apps situation is fine and getting better every day.

3) No gripes with my phone, bought my Pre last June and I have had no issues with it, I love my Pre, also, Sprint's GPS is very accurate.

4) Refer to answer #3
    After 3 months, post back here again and let us know how you feel about the phone. I bet you will be happy with your choice. You won't even be able to use another mobile OS without noticing the difference.

Hang out here, and keep up with the Palm world. Most everything you need can be found in this community - between the efforts of the developers and all of the users who willingly share their knowledge and experiences.

Make sure you get a good quality phone, and you won't have any regrets.
    I owned Palm Pre Plus for 2 weeks and for my advice, stay away from it. I honestly think WebOS isn't complete. there's just too much problem with it. Maybe it's because of low quality phone or some other factor. Of course people will tell you, you can install homebrew patch to solve, but to me that's BS. Most poeple want their phone to be work properly out of box and I think currently WebOS is like 5% incomplete.

Stay away from currently WebOS. And come back when they make the complete version of WebOS later, hopely within year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savager View Post
    I think currently WebOS is like 5% incomplete.

Guess that means he thinks WebOS is 95% Complete

I personally LOVE the PRE LOVE WebOS, its the best phone/device I have ever owned.

I still get tickled at finding new fun stuff I can do with it, and THIS commuinity is just ICING on the cake!

JUST DO IT
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Guess that means he thinks WebOS is 95% Complete

I personally LOVE the PRE LOVE WebOS, its the best phone/device I have ever owned.

I still get tickled at finding new fun stuff I can do with it, and THIS commuinity is just ICING on the cake!

JUST DO IT
    Tell me what kind of new stuff did you find recently? Oh you mean some of the patch on homebrew? like what?

I get frustrated whenever my Google chat isn't logging properly, i had to delete the account and add it back in.

Now I can't even login to my Yahoo email, I can't find the damn info from this forum.

within 2 weeks of ownership, my pre plus rebooted like 30 times.

One time, it frozed for no good reason, I have to pop out the battery. BTW, have fun with opening battery case, it sucks.

USB door doesnt' close properly, it sticks out little bit and it drives me crazy. One of the reason to bought Pre was the smooth line, not that USB door ruined it all.

If you use slightly, you'll be lucky to have 8 hours battery life. that means, you have to have charger at your work, your car, you home, your friend's place, and your girlfriend's place. Or just put your phone on Airplane mode.

And Browsing require little more cpu power but I guess you can overclock it by using homebrew.

Too many bad apps and too little title. And why is that Apps on Pre is way more expensive than Iphone apps? Damn

And my Music apps crashes my pre after 1.4.1.1 update.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I had to return my pre plus and really miss it. I could not get reception in my house or office (wife couldn't either on her droid) So we went back to att and got an iphone reception issue solved.
    Web os is awesome though, I do like several things about the iphone better than the pre but those cards and gesture swipes are in a league of their own. If att gets the pre plus before my 30 days is up I may just go back to it.
    @savager :
    Well then I suggest you just toss it off a cliff, and get a phone you like

To me the ease of WebOs, the diversity of apps, and features, and homebrew and being able to get into the OS to do stuff I want, and this community, and the look and feel of the Pre, and great the camera is, and NOW it even has video, and that I can stream my entire music collection from home, or online servers, that I can remote back to my desktop from anywhere, or I can have a on screen keyboard I can actually type on (I could never really get the feel of the iTouch one). That I can see movies in an amazingly clear screen, and that I can have wifi that allows me to have high speed web browsing at places that offer wifi. The list goes on and on, and the new apps and hombrews and patches that seem to come way faster than I can even assimilate them,

But, thats just me (and apparantly many others here too)

So if you dont like it, and it doesnt fit your needs.. get rid of it..

For me, the list goes on and on. I have not had problems or issues with stuff not there, or having to re do anything.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Though not yet a Pre owner, I'm jacked about it...I think this phone is awesome, and the OS and hardware that will come down the road is going to make it all even better. Two weeks left till my Pre Plus! (Assuming AT&T decides to actually release the phone).

I have to laugh at people that say things like "It's only good if you patch...homebrew...overclock...etc." And "A phone is supposed to work perfect out of the box." Sure...that's why there's jailbreaking iPhones, rooting Androids, and ROM flashing on WinMo (I'm currently a WinMo user...check out the XDA developers forum and see how obsessed we all are about flashing ROMs). To me, the great thing about all our phones, is that we can mod them to our own specific needs.

But there's also this awesome place called ebay...if you use a phone for awhile and don't like it, sell it and buy something else. I think I'm on my forth phone in 18 months. There will always be fun stuff to buy...As for me, I like Palm, I like this forum, and I think webOS is going to be a powerhouse in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewakaMJ View Post
    I have to laugh at people that say things like "It's only good if you patch...homebrew...overclock...etc." And "A phone is supposed to work perfect out of the box." Sure...that's why there's jailbreaking iPhones, rooting Androids, and ROM flashing on WinMo (I'm currently a WinMo user...check out the XDA developers forum and see how obsessed we all are about flashing ROMs). To me, the great thing about all our phones, is that we can mod them to our own specific needs.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast