1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've been reading about the over-clocking kernels and the apps to control the kernels, and, as a history, I've previously installed the 800MHz sh script, the 800MHz ipk, and now the SuperPreKernel (set with the 800MHz kernel), the latter two accompanied by a donation-given CPU Scaler Ultimate.

My understanding from my reading is that, yes, there are some differences between the Super Kernel and the Ueber Kernel, including--what WebOS version kernel's source code they're built from, the degree to which it is necessary to remove/uninstall them prior to an OTA WebOS update, the governors they support, whether or not they support a CPU temperature reading--but, most importantly, they both can be scaled from 125MHz to 800MHz, with stability variations depending on how your particular Pre/Pre+ takes to the various speeds, and they can both be controlled by either Govnah or CPU Scaler.

I'm trying to understand the differences between Govnah and CPU Scaler Ultimate.

On the CPUScaler Ultimate side, I understand these to some of the key points:
    • One-tap scaling range choice: see a set of options for scaling ranges, and tap to choose it.
    • Can disable speed and scaling settings, going back to defaults, with one tap.
    • Given a range, say, 500-800, the scaler will sometimes run it at 500, sometimes at 720, and sometimes at 800, depending on...demand on the CPU. <-- I'm actually unsure about this, but I've definitely seen time spent in all three speeds in my stats, for instance.

On the Govnah side, without having used it, these seem to be the salient points:
    • It's much more fine-grained control. You can choose which governor you want to use, and set the speed range that you want used with the selected governor. You might even be able to monkey with other settings like the powersave bias.
    • When you choose a governor, say, the screenstate governor, there are only two speeds ever used: 500MHz for when the screen's off, and 800MHz when the screen's on. That may be a poor example, though, as perhaps the other governors support scaling through a range of speeds (potentially relevant ones being 500, 550, 600, 720, and 800)...
    • It supports newer features in the Ueberkernel and will support upcoming features in future versions of the Ueberkernel.

Is that about right?

Maybe the point I'm most curious about is whether there's a difference between Govnah and CPUScaler Ultimate in their ability to have the kernel run through the whole range of available speeds between the endpoints you select, or whether, say, Govnah, is pretty much "just" a binary setting of your minimum frequency and maximum frequency.

I'm just thinking that, in terms of battery life, having those other speed options between your selected max and min might help out just a tad.

Is it true that only one governor is active at a time?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 05/03/2010 at 05:55 PM.
    I like having my settings stick. I wish screenstate was more touchstone friendly. So, I am sticking with the ultimate.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I have both installed but I am using the CPUScaler to control the Uber-Kernal.
    I use Govnah because it has more fine adjustments and I love the dynamic app icon.
    Definitely like that Ultimate will let you stick on reboot but I understand why Govnah doesn't do it. I switched from the SuperKernel to the Uberkernel today. I've used Ultimate all day to scale the cpu but am going to switch to Uberkernel so I can try out the "conservative" setting. I'll just have to remember that every time I reboot (as rare as that is) I'll have to re-run Govnah.
    When I installed Uber-Kernel, it left an icon on the launcher. It doesn't ever finish launching if I try. Is it supposed to load/run? I am able to run Govnah and control the UberKernel. JUst trying to figure out why that UberKernel icon is on on the launcher page.

Any thoughts?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    When I installed Uber-Kernel, it left an icon on the launcher. It doesn't ever finish launching if I try. Is it supposed to load/run? I am able to run Govnah and control the UberKernel. JUst trying to figure out why that UberKernel icon is on on the launcher page.

Any thoughts?
    I'm 90% sure that I read that the launcher icon doesn't do anything. If that's the case, I suspect it was a "UI" choice to put it in the launcher to make an uninstall via Orange-tap possible. You should probably double-check in the Ueberkernal thread in the WebOS Internals' developer forum here in the Precentral forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I'm 90% sure that I read that the launcher icon doesn't do anything. If that's the case, I suspect it was a "UI" choice to put it in the launcher to make an uninstall via Orange-tap possible. You should probably double-check in the Ueberkernal thread in the WebOS Internals' developer forum here in the Precentral forums.
    You are correct. It is also there to show that the Uber-Kernel has, in fact, installed. It does not do anything else. Uninstall via Orange-tap is currently only possible if you installed UK via the Preware Alpha app, but eventually Preware Alpha will become Preware, at which time Orange-tap will always work.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"