Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hello everyone I am a Pre Newb or Noob - a formerly Blackberry and current Nokia owner, I recently stopped by a Verizon store and spent around 20 minutes playing with WebOS on a Palm Pre Plus that the salesman obligingly showed me - and was so taken with its fun, elegance, simplicity and functionality that I'm seriously considering diving in to the Pre world.

But I have a few questions I'm hoping the Pre fanatics and experts who populate this forum can help me with.

First of all, pricing. I'm currently on T-Mobile, a carrier which doesn't always have the best coverage but has friendly customer service (waaaay better than AT&T in my experience) and extremely low (competitively cheap) pricing. T-Mob's current 'everything' (unlimited minutes/data/messages) is 79.99 a month - which was one of the reasons I switched to them from AT&T which always seemed to charge me an arm and a leg for similar services.

If I get a Palm Pre Plus on Big Red aka Verizon, the cheapest plan comparable to the T-Mobile one seems to be a combination of a monthly data plan (approx 30 a month) plus a minute plan (approx 70 a month) - subtotal 100 a month which is significantly over TMobile. The Sprint all-in-one similar package (approx 99 a month) seems like the exact same price - and also way over Tmobile.

However since my day job involves teaching - it's possible I can get a University/employer discount from Big Red of somewhere between 15%-20% which would bring the overall package down to close to $80 a month. That seems way more reasonable than the $100 which both Verizon and Sprint are asking. SO QUESTION #1 IS: is this the best/most reasonable/least expensive way to get a Pre Plus? Or are there better 'deals' around?

Sidenote: I know people knock T-Mobile for service area and occasionally other issues but I've been spoiled by their low/affordable prices.

NEXT QUESTION - Will Google Maps work with a new Pre Plus? Will I have to install 1.4.1? Or is it such a problem on Pre's that I'm going to have all the headaches and problems apparently many other Pre owners experience all the time?

On my current phone, a QWERTY Nokia e71, I either get Google GPS - or the surprisingly good (and free) Nokia/Ovi Maps/GPS - both work well and fast so I don't like the idea of switching to a cooler phone/OS (the Pre/WebOS) - but not being able to get free and good GPS. What's up with this anyway?

THIRD QUESTION - If I buy a new phone and sign up for a 2 year Verizon contract, one of the obvious cool things is getting free Mobile Hotspot capability. Anyone know if this continues AFTER the 2 years????

FOURTH QUESTION - for those of you who are Mac Owners, do Pre's or Pre Pluses sync/communicate easily with Macs? That would be a big plus for me. My Nokia doesn't - and the Blackberry's I had before the Nokia didn't either - and I don't really want to buy another phone which requires me to own a PC (as opposed to my Mac) to communicate with the phone when I need to.

Okay and yes, one more - FIFTH (and last) QUESTION - does the new OS 1.4.1 update really solve the keyboard problems many have experienced before? I text a lot and have been spoiled by my Blackberry's and also my Nokia - which all text well, fast, easily and with no problems - so I'd really like to get a sense of this from other users before diving into a phone with (hopefullly) a good keyboard for texting.

Hope to get some responses and advice soon...THANKS in advance!

Miguel
    Miguel,

I can't answer all your questions, but as far as pricing goes, you're best off with Sprint. I have Sprint but i'm not being biased. You can get unlimited everything for $69.99. Sure you only get 450 anytime minutes (starting at 7PM), but you also get nationwide mobile to mobile, meaning you can call any other mobile device without eating into your anytime minutes. Also if you're concerned about the mobile hotspot, Sprint also has similar hotspot programs called freetether and mytether. These are free, except mytether where you all you have to do is make a one time donation. With Sprint you also get a free program called Sprint Navigation that does turn by turn navigation just like a Garmin or TomTom GPS, very cool.

So all in all, if you played with the Pre and are considering purchasing one, and getting the BEST deal, definitely go with Sprint. Just my two cents, hope this helps.
    I am paying 130 a month for 2 palm pre's with the everything plan that is 65.00 per phone we share 1500 mins but we bearly use them due to the free mobile to mobile and free nights and week ends we would be lucky to use 250 of the shared mins a month

I have never used at&t before so I can't really say anything about them but I love the sprint plans in my own opinion

also forgot I also have tried the gps I compared it to the tomtom and it out did the tomtom the tomtom was showing me in placed that I wasn't even at the gps on these phones are accurate turn for turn
    Im on Bell so I cant answer all of these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    NEXT QUESTION - Will Google Maps work with a new Pre Plus? Will I have to install 1.4.1? Or is it such a problem on Pre's that I'm going to have all the headaches and problems apparently many other Pre owners experience all the time?
    Works all the time for me, after 1.4.1 update. Sometimes takes a couple seconds to find you, but its a device the size of your Palm looking for Satellites in the sky...

On my current phone, a QWERTY Nokia e71, I either get Google GPS - or the surprisingly good (and free) Nokia/Ovi Maps/GPS - both work well and fast so I don't like the idea of switching to a cooler phone/OS (the Pre/WebOS) - but not being able to get free and good GPS. What's up with this anyway?
    I dunno... sorry. I hear VZ Navigator works great tho...

THIRD QUESTION - If I buy a new phone and sign up for a 2 year Verizon contract, one of the obvious cool things is getting free Mobile Hotspot capability. Anyone know if this continues AFTER the 2 years????
    I have no idea but there is a hack to get it for free anyways.... if you are ok with things like that.

FOURTH QUESTION - for those of you who are Mac Owners, do Pre's or Pre Pluses sync/communicate easily with Macs? That would be a big plus for me. My Nokia doesn't - and the Blackberry's I had before the Nokia didn't either - and I don't really want to buy another phone which requires me to own a PC (as opposed to my Mac) to communicate with the phone when I need to.
    Having a Mac this I can answer.

If you enable the Media Sync in Device Info app, and download iTunes version 9.01 it will work just like an ipod. (If you need version 9.01 I have it...email me)

If not, it will work just like an external hard drive....drag and drop baby!!! Even ringtones.

Probably the easiest phone I have ever used for media.

Okay and yes, one more - FIFTH (and last) QUESTION - does the new OS 1.4.1 update really solve the keyboard problems many have experienced before? I text a lot and have been spoiled by my Blackberry's and also my Nokia - which all text well, fast, easily and with no problems - so I'd really like to get a sense of this from other users before diving into a phone with (hopefully) a good keyboard for texting.
    This is something where the missing letters has been fixed with everyone, but apparently some people are having issues with the double letters issue still.

There is a poll where most people are no longer having the issue anymore.
    If Verizon is still offering a one year contract, I would look into it. That way, you'll be poised to get the next generation Pre from whichever carrier w/o having to wait 2 years or pay the Verizon stiff termination fee.
    (You can also go with Sprint which will let you upgrade after a year as a Premier member)
    If I get a Palm Pre Plus on Big Red aka Verizon, the cheapest plan comparable to the T-Mobile one seems to be a combination of a monthly data plan (approx 30 a month) plus a minute plan (approx 70 a month) - subtotal 100 a month which is significantly over TMobile.
    My first question is... do you really need unlimited talk and text?

Do you use more than 450 minutes per month? Keep in mind the unlimited nationwide nights and weekends don't apply. And verizon to verizon calls don't apply. So more than 450 minutes "daytime" talking, outside the verizon network, throughout the month? The 450 minute talk plan is $40.

And how about texting? The $10 messaging plan gives you 500 texts... free/unlimited verizon to verizon texting. So again, would you exceed 500 texts per month, outside of the verizon network?

Add the $30 data plan, and you've got an $80 plan before your 15-20% discount.

All really just depends on how much you talk/text.
    We are on Sprint and get a college/university teacher discount of 15%.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    Miguel,

I can't answer all your questions, but as far as pricing goes, you're best off with Sprint. I have Sprint but i'm not being biased. You can get unlimited everything for $69.99. Sure you only get 450 anytime minutes (starting at 7PM), but you also get nationwide mobile to mobile, meaning you can call any other mobile device without eating into your anytime minutes....

.....So all in all, if you played with the Pre and are considering purchasing one, and getting the BEST deal, definitely go with Sprint. Just my two cents, hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info, Sweetnessinfall. This is helpful to me because to be honest I didn't fully understand the Sprint plans and pricing. I checked them out again on the Spring website and their are two "Everything Data - with Any Mobile, Anytime" plans - one which as you mention gives 450 additional minutes for $69.99, the other 900 additional minutes for 89.99. Since my cell phone is my only phone - and since I'm obliged to both call and receive calls from a lot of other land lines, there's no way the 450 additional minutes would work for me.....but it's possible the 900 minute plan MIGHT WORK. So I'm going to check it out with my local (Southern Oregon) Sprint store. But I appreciate the feedback!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionSoul View Post
    My first question is... do you really need unlimited talk and text?

Do you use more than 450 minutes per month? Keep in mind the unlimited nationwide nights and weekends don't apply. And verizon to verizon calls don't apply. So more than 450 minutes "daytime" talking, outside the verizon network, throughout the month? The 450 minute talk plan is $40.
    Well, yes, actually, I have been monitoring my own phone use and the truth is, on a monthly basis, I have to talk to quite a few people who AREN'T on Verizon - so the 450 minutes would be way too little. Verizon only offers two plans, a cheaper 450 minute one and a pricier 900 minute one which costs $60 bucks....so all of a sudden the price starts climbing up, especially when I add on a messaging plan and a data plan (both of which are free/included on Sprint). Of course, the pricier Verizon plan gives me free phonecalls to any 5 frequently called numbers ("Family & Friends" is what they call it), so that's a benefit.

And how about texting? The $10 messaging plan gives you 500 texts... free/unlimited verizon to verizon texting. So again, would you exceed 500 texts per month, outside of the verizon network?
    Once again, my texting needs aren't just limited to Verizon only phones - so this is an additional expense. I know $10 a month may not sound like much, but adding it onto a slightly more expensive minutes plan....well, it adds up.

Add the $30 data plan, and you've got an $80 plan before your 15-20% discount.

All really just depends on how much you talk/text.
    Right you are, ScorpionSoul....it depends on how much I need to talk and send text messages vs how much I can afford. The plus which pricier Verizon plans offer is unlimited free calls to any 5 numbers - but in my initial calculations, doing the math, it seems like the Sprint plan - which gives free calls to ALL mobiles, in addition to free data & free messaging (so one only pays for additional 'land line' minutes) may actually be significantly cheaper.

But thanks for your response....it's helpful.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Sprint is the cheapest way to enjoy the Pre. My wife and I share an unlimited everything data with 27% off discount for something... We aren't sure... But we pay 110 a mo after taxes and fees for 2x Pres. One is like 59 or 69 for the plan...
    my only advice is to wait a bit if you can. Hp recently acquired palm (not sure if it's a sealed deal yet), and hp plans to keep palm as a brand in itself, operating under the authority of hp and palm will have access to hp's deep pockets. Don't get me wrong, the pre is an amazing machine, but like I said wait if you can. There may be a device coming soon that will simply blow todays top tier devices away. Do the math: palm's amazing software and innovation + hp's proven excellent hardware and deep pockets= one or more incredible devices headed our way. If you need a phone now, then certainly get the pre.
    The mobile hotspot works and Sprint does not offer that (for free). LOVE THAT FEATURE!!
    If the most important thing for you is monthly price, you should look into getting an unlocked pre from a foriegn carrier or you could also wait until the at&t version comes out and get that one full price and unlock it to use with t-mobile. Another option is I have heard some people have gotten the pre to work with either cricket or metroPCS who actually have cheaper plans than t-mobile, but you have to re-flash the phone to make it work, but you should try a search if that might be a viable option for you.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevansabg View Post
    The mobile hotspot works and Sprint does not offer that (for free). LOVE THAT FEATURE!!
    The Mobile Hotspot is a huge plus for the Verizon Pre Plus - but just out of curiosity, if I'm not mistake, homebrew Apps like MyTether - once installed in a Sprint Palm Pre - give it the exact same mobile hotspot functionality....is that right????
    yes. It does.
    SO QUESTION #1 IS: is this the best/most reasonable/least expensive way to get a Pre Plus? Or are there better 'deals' around?
    Since verizon is offering the pre+ for 29.99 with free Mobile Hotspot, as well as buy one-get one, Verizon would be a great way to go. Coverage is exceptional as well. Also, the differences between Sprint's Pre and Verizon's Pre+ are to big to ignore.

Well, Google Maps does work. Not the best, but it works. I suggest paying the additional $10/mo for VZ Navigator with Turn-by-turn. It is cheaper than buying an actual GPS system plus you don't need to install updates to VZ Nav. like you would a garmin or something of the sort. It updates roads and etc automatically. VZ Nav. is also cheaper than using onstar, if you have the ability. With OnStar you pay 29.99 a month, i believe, for turn-by-turn.

As far as I know, you will be grandfathered in. It's part of your plan, and verizon can't take that off. Now if you switch to a different plan there is a possibility, but that will just depend.

What kind of syncing are you looking to do?

Okay and yes, one more - FIFTH (and last) QUESTION - does the new OS 1.4.1 update really solve the keyboard problems many have experienced before? I text a lot and have been spoiled by my Blackberry's and also my Nokia - which all text well, fast, easily and with no problems - so I'd really like to get a sense of this from other users before diving into a phone with (hopefullly) a good keyboard for texting.
    I have the latest updated OS and I don't seem to have any problems, nor do the customers I sell the phones to. I havent had anyone report that issue to me.

Hope this helps.
    Regarding the keyboard issue... for the most part, yes... 1.4.1.1 fixed the double typing issue.

There are a few people, however, that still report problems.. but I've not had a single double typing issue since the update.

Also, I think it's been mentioned that overclocking using the superprekernel reintroduces the double typing issue, so if you plan on overclocking, use the uberkernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If Verizon is still offering a one year contract, I would look into it. That way, you'll be poised to get the next generation Pre from whichever carrier w/o having to wait 2 years or pay the Verizon stiff termination fee.
    (You can also go with Sprint which will let you upgrade after a year as a Premier member)

Verizon does offer one year contracts. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that if you have a high enough rate plan and you do well paying your bills etc etc, Verizon gives out Annual Upgrades.
    the base sprint plan for the pre is 69.99, but includes 450 min, unlimited mobile to mobile ( any network), unlimited n+w startint at 7, unlimited text and internet. Also you can activate the mobile hotspot on sprint if you look through these forums for no extra charge. Also sprint has all sorts of education discounts. My alma mater had a 24% discount!

the real question is, will you use more than 450 minutes to landlines during the hours of 7 to 7 m-f?
    ....one which as you mention gives 450 additional minutes for $69.99, the other 900 additional minutes for 89.99. Since my cell phone is my only phone - and since I'm obliged to both call and receive calls from a lot of other land lines, there's no way the 450 additional minutes would work for me.....
    1. When do you do your non-mobile to mobile calling? I may have a solution.
    2. Are the land lines you recieve/place calls to the same or always different? If the same, how many of those numbers are there? Could be another solution for you here, too.
    3. Keep in mind that FreeTether and MyTether require that you do some manual installing("sideloading"). Tethering or Mobile Hot Spot isn't something that's supported directly by Sprint as with Verizon and the MHS app.
    4. Google Maps comes pre-installed on the Pre. Didn't think I saw anyone mention that
    5. Sprint Navigation will solve your GPS turn-by-turn needs
    6. Sprint does have an Unlimited Everything for $99. Includes unlimented minutes, text, data...blah, blah, blah. Basically the kitchen sink.
    7. At the $69.99 Everything plan and above, you qualify for Sprint Premeire. Under S|P you get a 25% discount at the Sprint store for accessories and new hardware at the "new contract" subscriber price every 12 months.
    8. If you are an educator, you should be able to qualify for an additional discount off your monthly plan. You would have to inquire if you do qualify and how much.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 05/04/2010 at 02:57 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast