Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Let me mention that you will spend a lot more for the phone through Sprint than Verizon, but you will save some money on the monthly plans through Sprint.

However, in my opinion, the Pre+ is the superior device in both usage and in build quality. While the current Pre's are better than the launch devices, the Pre+ has better slider build quality and doesn't have the middle button, which led to cracks on some devices. The Pre+ also has more RAM and I have never gotten a "Too Many Cards" error.

Also, the hot spot is fully endorsed and supported on Verizon. It is not on Sprint, and is technically a violation of your contract if you do so. But, yes, you can get the same functionality, but it doesn't come with the Pre, just the Pre+.

Google Maps is good and bad depending on if you have a GPS signal or not. When you do, it's perfectly fine. I've used it off and on without issue, though I have to launch VZ Navigator first, though it seems to stay active until I either reboot the phone (very, very rare for me), or Google maps somehow stops getting the GPS signal (it may be putting the chip back into sleep mode, or just not keeping it alive). It varies.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    [*]When do you do your non-mobile to mobile calling? I may have a solution.
    Well, that's part of the problem. It's random and frequent - and it can occur all day long. So there's no real pattern - except for the fact that every month I must both make and receive a number of calls to/from land lines. And 450 minutes just isn't enough.

[*]Are the land lines you recieve/place calls to the same or always different? If the same, how many of those numbers are there? Could be another solution for you here, too.
    I thought about this too - but the truth is, though some are consistent, others vary from month to month. If it was consistently the same handful of landlines, then obviously Verizon's Friends & Family Plan - which lets you make free calls to your most frequently called numbers - would be a simple and effective way of reducing the overall number of minutes.

[*]Keep in mind that FreeTether and MyTether require that you do some manual installing("sideloading"). Tethering or Mobile Hot Spot isn't something that's supported directly by Sprint as with Verizon and the MHS app.
    Yes, I understand about the manual installing involved - which for many users might be challenging or intimidating - but I'm a bit of a geek so I don't mind. And, yes, I know the tethering Apps are not officially supported or sanctioned by Spring - but the fact remains that they work nonetheless. In fact, a knowledgeable salesperson in my local (Medford, Oregon) Sprint store told me he had installed and used the MyTether App on his personal Pre months ago and that it works smoothly and perfectly.

[*]Google Maps comes pre-installed on the Pre. Didn't think I saw anyone mention that[*]Sprint Navigation will solve your GPS turn-by-turn needs
    Good points. I actually tried out Sprint Navigation in the local Sprint store and it worked easily, quickly and instantly. Quite a nice App - even tho from what I understand some users say it makes their Pre's overheat. Google worked too, instantly and efficiently on the Sprint Pre I played around with in the store (unlike what many Verizon Pre Plus owners have reported) - but it doesn't seem to have the gorgeous graphic excellence and smoothness which it exhibits on Android phones. Sprint Nav is actually quite cool - and the fact that Sprint throws it in free is definitely a plus for me.

[*] Sprint does have an Unlimited Everything for $99. Includes unlimented minutes, text, data...blah, blah, blah. Basically the kitchen sink.
    Yes. However right now I'm trying to economize a little and I think the 900 minute plan - in addition to free calls to all mobiles - would probably be more than enough for my current calling needs.

[*] At the $69.99 Everything plan and above, you qualify for Sprint Premeire. Under S|P you get a 25% discount at the Sprint store for accessories and new hardware at the "new contract" subscriber price every 12 months.
    True. But from what I've gleaned reading PreCentral Forum posts, the best deals in the world right now are at RadioShack which is having insanely discounted firesale prices on some very cool Pre accessories, both OEM and otherwise.

[*] If you are an educator, you should be able to qualify for an additional discount off your monthly plan. You would have to inquire if you do qualify and how much.[/LIST]
    Yes. And, actually, the good news is, just about EVERY major carrier offers similar (usually around 15%) discounts on monthly phone service. When you factor that in, Sprint still seems to be the cheapest - but Verizon isn't actually far behind. And probably AT&T when they come out with their GSM Pre Plus will be close.

The other big factors seem to be Verizon's mobile hotspot - though Sprint Pre's can do the same thing with MyTether - Sprint's lower prices - AND the fact that Sprint's nights & weekends start at 7 pm and go to 7 am - which is significantly better than Verizon's standard 9pm-9am (which is the same deal that AT&T & T-Mobile also practice).

Several smarter people than I have offered the advice that picking the best carrier is just as important as getting a good deal. Right now I'm leaning strongly towards Sprint - and the main reason why is, one of the head Sales Associates at the local Sprint store is a hardcore Pre user himself (his main private/personal phone), and while he was demoing some of the Pre's features I didn't know, he spoke highly of PreCentral and Preware. So my instincts are....I may get better service, support and understanding from people who actually use and love their Pre's....than from folks who don't know that much about them.

Thanks for your suggestions and questions, MilenkoD. Any other tips, suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Miguel
    Still-without-a-Pre-but-maybe-not-for-long
    well...if you are a geek, then you need Preware installed on your Pre. It really expands the device.

As far as the Premiere program, I didn't mean the 25% discount to be that program's 'killer feature', it's the 12mo upgrade that makes it a great deal.

Also, it wouldn't be too mesmerized over the 'bright and shiny' distraction of the device pricing between Sprint and Verizon. You can easily make that up in the savings in the first 1/3rd of your contract on Sprint.

Good luck and let us know what you decided.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    well...if you are a geek, then you need Preware installed on your Pre. It really expands the device.

As far as the Premiere program, I didn't mean the 25% discount to be that program's 'killer feature', it's the 12mo upgrade that makes it a great deal.

Also, it wouldn't be too mesmerized over the 'bright and shiny' distraction of the device pricing between Sprint and Verizon. You can easily make that up in the savings in the first 1/3rd of your contract on Sprint.

Good luck and let us know what you decided.
    Thanks again for your feedback and everyone else's - I just bought my new PRE from SPRINT - both because of an excellent monthly rate (thanks to my educational discount) - but also because the local (Southern Oregon - Medford) main Sprint store had a lead Sales Associate who was extraordinarily helpful - and is a Pre user (and ADVOCATE) himself. So....it seemed like the right decision.

CHEERS!

Miguel
    New-and-happy-owner-of-his-first-Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    Thanks again for your feedback and everyone else's - I just bought my new PRE from SPRINT - both because of an excellent monthly rate (thanks to my educational discount) - but also because the local (Southern Oregon - Medford) main Sprint store had a lead Sales Associate who was extraordinarily helpful - and is a Pre user (and ADVOCATE) himself. So....it seemed like the right decision.

CHEERS!

Miguel
    New-and-happy-owner-of-his-first-Pre
    well if you get stuck, feel free to PM me and I can help you.
    Welcome to the family!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12