Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Obviously, the GPS issues on the Pre and Pre Plus have been among the most discussed topics in this forum (if not the most discussed). Yet, it's an issue that Palm refuses to address, or even simply give loyal Palm customers some insight into what's going on and if anything's being done about it. I'm frustrated with my GPS, but it would help if Palm at least issued some sort of release that they are aware and are working on it and give a loose time frame for a fix. But we get dead silence. I was in the Verizon store last weekend to exchange a charger and there was a guy there looking to buy a couple phones for him and his wife. As I waited my turn for assistance, I eavesdropped on the conversation between him and the salesman. I learned that he had purchased two Pre Plus devices, but told the salesman he'd had a terrible time with GPS issues. The salesman didn't really know anything about it (big surprise there!), but told him the Droid had great GPS and fired his up as proof. He was still in his 30 day trial period, so the last I saw as I purchased my charger and walked out the door was the salesman bringing out 2 Droids for the man.

I've had to tell 3 people to avoid the Pre Plus if they are looking for GPS. I know one has purchased an iPhone, but the other was a couple at a baseball game so I don't know what they did. They seemed quite disappointed when I told them about the GPS though b/c they really liked the way the phone looked. They were on the fence b/w the Droid and Pre Plus and said they'd probably go Droid if GPS really didn't work well. This is just something that customers want/expect in a phone these days.

That's 5 lost customers or potential customers due directly to GPS. If I've seen 5, then I'm sure there are many, many more out there. As much as I'm frustrated with the GPS, I love my Pre Plus and have decided to keep it and see what happens. I tell everyone it's an awesome device...except for the GPS. Many people aren't as adventurous as me and simply want to buy something that works, not something that MIGHT work at some point in the future with an update. I'm not a hater (you can see in previous posts where I've given my Pre Plus rave reviews) but I'm honest. At this point, Palm needs every last customer they can get. One simple thing they can do is fix the GPS in the Pre Plus. If this is a VZ issue, then they need to work something out to get it working.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Sorry for all the GPS problems.
    Guess I feel lucky with Sprint Nav. :/
    WOW that's like the other side of what I'm seeing... And I geocache... guess I'm lucky!
    I find this topic interesting because it doesn't seem to be a problem for every VZ Pre (including mine) and it doesn't make sense that it would only affect some people. It just seems like it must be a bug, either in WebOS or in the Google Maps app (which is what most of the LBS apps rely on).

I did a bunch of testing today for another user - because my phone has always given me dead-accurate location in Google Maps. I won't clog up this thread with the details because I already posted them in another GPS thread.

I just thought I'd suggest that everyone keep trying to identify the issue, because I'm not sure Palm is ignoring it. I'm likely to believe that it's a google bug, and they wouldn't care to solve it for a rival to the Android platform.

If you are interested in the details, you can search the forums or let me know you want me to post it here...
    And the other part of the question is, where is a turn by turn navigation application to buy and use instead of VZW 'Negotiator'...oops, I mean 'Navigator'? Is anyone working on this I wonder?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I've never had a problem with the GPS, except if I drive out of coverage. That's the biggest reason Sprint Nav is now my backup GPS and not my primary GPS devise.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    And the other part of the question is, where is a turn by turn navigation application to buy and use instead of VZW 'Negotiator'...oops, I mean 'Navigator'? Is anyone working on this I wonder?
    Look for Navit in the webos-internals section of these forums. The bulk of the world's Pre's did not come with navigation software from their cellular carriers, so there is a real need for a standalone product. The current package is usable and will navigate you to your destination, but still needs some polishing up on things like searching for street addresses. The best part is that it uses open-source street map data, so you can get the entire world's street maps (3.5 gigs) and not have to pay some vendor for updates every few months.....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I find this topic interesting because it doesn't seem to be a problem for every VZ Pre (including mine) and it doesn't make sense that it would only affect some people. It just seems like it must be a bug, either in WebOS or in the Google Maps app (which is what most of the LBS apps rely on).

I did a bunch of testing today for another user - because my phone has always given me dead-accurate location in Google Maps. I won't clog up this thread with the details because I already posted them in another GPS thread.

I just thought I'd suggest that everyone keep trying to identify the issue, because I'm not sure Palm is ignoring it. I'm likely to believe that it's a google bug, and they wouldn't care to solve it for a rival to the Android platform.

If you are interested in the details, you can search the forums or let me know you want me to post it here...
    I would like to know the details.
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/244452-willing-pay-verizon-gps-fix.html

that's where i posted the test steps. Before you try that, please try tsomething simpler.

put your phone in airplane mode right now and then go outside.

turn off airplane mode and start google maps. Give it time to get a fix on your location. Report results back here. That will help us identify an apparent bug.

thx
    I really believe those Pre Plus units that are supposedly working are not getting true GPS signals but rather aGPS (cell tower triangulation). Google maps will resort to either aGPS or GPS - whichever works. In some locations aGPS can be very accurate, but in other locations, it's not. I just find it really really hard to believe that VZ is not behind this when this happens:

If I open Google Maps, I will get the error "Your current location is unavailable". In any other GPS based apps, I do not get any signal. I even tried turning off GPS and turning it back on. I closed Google Maps and even tried ##GPS# but that didn't work. It won't even get a signal. I then open VZ Nav and put it into card view. I then open Google Maps and/or any other GPS apps and I get a spot on location. Accuracy is within 1-6 feet at times. If I am moving on the highway, GPS will work. If I close out of Google Maps and close out of VZ Nav and let my phone sleep for a while, the gps doesn't work until I open VZ Nav again. Once I open VZ Nav, it works fine.
    OK, so I have a Pre Plus with Verizon.

No, I do not subscribe to VZNav

Yes, Google maps and other apps don't work worth a darn (1/4 - 1/2 mile off, if any result at all)

Yes, Palm support DID tell me that if I follow their prescribed stepts to Dr my phone, most of my data (Text Messages, etc) WILL be lost.

And YES, Palm support also think it's prety silly that they do NOT have a BACKUP solution to ensure that if you follow their advice, you don't lose your DATA!

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my Verizon Pre Plus GPS experience...

WTPH!

russ
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Are we sure this isn't a Verizon issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    That's 5 lost customers or potential customers due directly to GPS. If I've seen 5, then I'm sure there are many, many more out there.
    I'm one the many more - I'd get the Verizon Pre Plus in a minute if I heard that the GPS problems were solved.
    I guess im one of the lucky ones, my pre plus' gps works just fine. I only have problem when im indoors, but to solve that I just turned on google location services. Its is a little off maybe 50 to 100 feet. but when i go outside and acquire a gps signal its spot on. very odd...
    I had my Pre Plus for about 3 weeks and tried all the GPS aps, except the Verizon navigator. In all cases, the GPS was abysmal. Even being out in a full open field I had trouble getting a true lock (told me I'm somewhere out in the adjacent ocean). Well then a few days ago I tried the Verizon Navigator since it comes with a 30 day trial anyways... I had nothing to lose if the Navigator wasn't any better than the rest I've used. Guess what? Lock ons appear in less than a minute inside my house! Out in the open it locks on in about 30 seconds. No more being in a range of 3000m from my true location. The Verizon nav app simply makes the GPS work the way it's supposed to. It's like my GPS has transformed into being a POS into a real phone GPS.

GPS is important to me so I may just have to end up ponying up the $10 month fee once my 30 days are over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
    I'm one the many more - I'd get the Verizon Pre Plus in a minute if I heard that the GPS problems were solved.
    Go get a Pre+ right away. If you look at my post above, several work-arounds are starting to emerge. Based on some testing I did in airplane mode (to prevent tower triangulation) it appears to be related to one or two items.

1. There is some sort of location cache in Google Maps that has to be cleared. It seems to come up showing the last known position. Once that is cleared (by VZ NAV or another location-based app) it seems to work well.

2. The GPS radio isn't truly functioning until it has been disturbed by VZ Nav or another LBS app.

Either way, we need to dispense with the conspiracy theories. If we do some quality troubleshooting, we can narrow this down and then hold the offending vendor accountable to fix it.

I say the suggestion that it helps to get the patch that puts the GPS switch in device menu so you can cycle the GPS radio on and off to force the GPS radio to work. Please try the various suggestions above and report back what you find.

Those that just want to talk about how angry they are at Verizon/Palm/Obama/Mom can post in the off-topic forum. The beauty of this user forum is that we help each other and our vendors to solve problems.

Let's consider this as a double-dog-dare and figure this out!! Onward!
    I use Sprint NAV all the time with no problems. It's a really great app.

I bet it's a problem in the VZ side.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    OK, so I have a Pre Plus with Verizon.

No, I do not subscribe to VZNav

Yes, Google maps and other apps don't work worth a darn (1/4 - 1/2 mile off, if any result at all)

Yes, Palm support DID tell me that if I follow their prescribed stepts to Dr my phone, most of my data (Text Messages, etc) WILL be lost.

And YES, Palm support also think it's prety silly that they do NOT have a BACKUP solution to ensure that if you follow their advice, you don't lose your DATA!

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my Verizon Pre Plus GPS experience...

WTPH!

russ
    When I doctor my phone I only lose text messaging conversations. Everything else restores just fine. (Apps, e-mail, etc)
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  19.    #19  
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/244452-willing-pay-verizon-gps-fix.html

that's where i posted the test steps. Before you try that, please try tsomething simpler.

put your phone in airplane mode right now and then go outside.

turn off airplane mode and start google maps. Give it time to get a fix on your location. Report results back here. That will help us identify an apparent bug.

thx
    Tried the airplane mode trick while walking to work this morning...no dice. It had me somewhere I've never been. Actually, when it brought the map up with my "location" it had the name of some high school in the search box at the top. I've never heard of the school, never been there and never searched for it. So why was it in the search box? I gave it 10 minutes or so, but it never found me.
    Go get a Pre+ right away. If you look at my post above, several work-arounds are starting to emerge. Based on some testing I did in airplane mode (to prevent tower triangulation) it appears to be related to one or two items.

1. There is some sort of location cache in Google Maps that has to be cleared. It seems to come up showing the last known position. Once that is cleared (by VZ NAV or another location-based app) it seems to work well.

2. The GPS radio isn't truly functioning until it has been disturbed by VZ Nav or another LBS app.

Either way, we need to dispense with the conspiracy theories. If we do some quality troubleshooting, we can narrow this down and then hold the offending vendor accountable to fix it.

I say the suggestion that it helps to get the patch that puts the GPS switch in device menu so you can cycle the GPS radio on and off to force the GPS radio to work. Please try the various suggestions above and report back what you find.

Those that just want to talk about how angry they are at Verizon/Palm/Obama/Mom can post in the off-topic forum. The beauty of this user forum is that we help each other and our vendors to solve problems.

Let's consider this as a double-dog-dare and figure this out!! Onward!

a voice of sanity! sooo many threads on here get gummed up with a bunch un-researched complaints.

i'm almost 100% certain that there is a BUG or oversight that is causing the GPS radio toggle not to work unless manually or thru opening Vznavi.

i'm highly interested in NAVIT!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast