Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post


    a voice of sanity! sooo many threads on here get gummed up with a bunch un-researched complaints.

    i'm almost 100% certain that there is a BUG or oversight that is causing the GPS radio toggle not to work unless manually or thru opening Vznavi.

    i'm highly interested in NAVIT!!!
    Have you posted the following in the (too)many threads on this? We really need everyone to try this and report back to ONE thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    i've been heavily researching and tweaking around this issue. please advise how you have "location services" setup.
    1- turn off "auto-locate"
    2- click prefs -> then "locate me using" -check GPS (NOT google services)

    it's imperative that auto-locate AND locate me using are set as above. VZW Pre+s have a bug that prevents gps apps from choosing between google services and the GPS chipset. i believe that VZnavi has the "fix" for that bug, that's why it properly chooses aGPS (triangulation via cell towers) or actual GPS satellite fix (this can take several minutes if you've either toggled the gps off since it has to reaccuire more than one satelitte signal to get accurate.)
  2. #22  
    @cantaffordit: I've been postng on this topic...toooo man threads!!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Have you posted the following in the (too)many threads on this? We really need everyone to try this and report back to ONE thread...
    That fix doesn't work for me either...
  4.    #24  
    Is there an easy way to tell if it's a bad GPS chip?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Is there an easy way to tell if it's a bad GPS chip?
    i would say if you have turned of auto-locate, and locate using google service, done a full power down and pulled the battery for a few minutes, and then give the gps time to reacquire in an open area, if you still don't get a loc using gpsdashboard or trapster...then you may very well have a bad gps chipset.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    i would say if you have turned of auto-locate, and locate using google service, done a full power down and pulled the battery for a few minutes, and then give the gps time to reacquire in an open area, if you still don't get a loc using gpsdashboard or trapster...then you may very well have a bad gps chipset.
    I just tried GPS Dashboard, but it ran for about 10 minutes without getting any GPS info. Would I have to jump through 5000 hoops with Verizon and Palm to get a replacement?
  7. #27  
    @yankboy- if you truly have a bad gps chipset then a replacement should be obtainable without much hoopla
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    @cantaffordit: I've been postng on this topic...toooo man threads!!
    I agree. I think we need a fresh, well introduced, sticky thread for those that want to coordinate our efforts to solve this. You are the right one to lead the effort because you clearly have it going on wrt this topic.

    You should ping one of the mods and ask them about it, and hope they also shut down some of the (too) many threads...
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    That fix doesn't work for me either...
    Please don't take this wrong... but can you put a little detail in when saying "this didn't work"?

    The most important part of "this" is that you set the "locate me by" to be "GPS ONLY" and then turn off "auto-locate" so that google maps or other LBS apps have to ask your permission to wake up the GPS radio.

    It would be helpful if you specified that you did those two things. Include a screen shot if you have one. Specify any other combinations you tried, etc.

    I really appreciate that you ran a test and reported back. Could you provide a bit more info about what your settings were?

    I hope everyone that is trying various configurations will remember to specify details. Tell us everything that is "off", and everything that is "on".

    That way we don't always have to ask standard questions over and over, like "were you outside?" and how close was the location it gave you (because anything over about 100 feet is definitely from triangulating cell towers and that is what we are trying to prevent)... etc.

    Thanks. Keep the info coming...
  10. #30  
    ....now throw in the threads at palm and vzw....
  11. fishtale's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #31  
    I'm a Territory Rep for Palm and I have all three Pre/Pre+ for all carriers and it seems to be a Verizon fault and not Palms. I turn on carrier specific navigator/Gmaps/YPmobile and Verizon is the only one that has issues locating my position exactly. It jumps from my location to about 1 mile north or a block or two away. The best GPS so far seems to be on the AT&T Pre+, then Sprint Pre, and lastly Verizon Pre+.
  12. #32  
    all this info will hopefully lead to a solid working resolution from either vzw or palm (perhaps google, I don't think it's an issue with google)...

    i've not had time to read over the threads at palm or vzw...if we can nail it down then vzw or palm can fix it or be exonerated from the conspiracy theories. I hope also that a dev can patch/fix this, but for now the mods available make it a tolerable situation.
  13. #33  
    somehow the vz navi app is the only app that properly chooses a gps location or agps "cell tower triangulation" when google services are used
  14. #34  
    Definitely something on Big Red's end, my Sprint GPS works great.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Please don't take this wrong... but can you put a little detail in when saying "this didn't work"?

    The most important part of "this" is that you set the "locate me by" to be "GPS ONLY" and then turn off "auto-locate" so that google maps or other LBS apps have to ask your permission to wake up the GPS radio.

    It would be helpful if you specified that you did those two things. Include a screen shot if you have one. Specify any other combinations you tried, etc.

    I really appreciate that you ran a test and reported back. Could you provide a bit more info about what your settings were?

    I hope everyone that is trying various configurations will remember to specify details. Tell us everything that is "off", and everything that is "on".`

    That way we don't always have to ask standard questions over and over, like "were you outside?" and how close was the location it gave you (because anything over about 100 feet is definitely from triangulating cell towers and that is what we are trying to prevent)... etc.

    Thanks. Keep the info coming...
    I turned off auto locate and had only GPS activated, not Google maps. I downloaded GPS Dashboard, turned off phone, removed battery, waited a few mins, restarted phone and turned on GPS Dashboard. After 10 minutes of waiting it still hadn't gotten my location.
  16. #36  
    well yankboy...i can tell you that you may indeed have a bad gps chipset...

    After 10 minutes you "should" have a lock if you outside in the open. If at that point you may try open another gps app like google maps or restart gpsdashbrd as a last attempt. The last thing i'd do is full powerdown/battery removed and try vz navi...just for conspiracy's sake
  17. WyreNut's Avatar
    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtale View Post
    I'm a Territory Rep for Palm and I have all three Pre/Pre+ for all carriers and it seems to be a Verizon fault and not Palms.

    The best GPS so far seems to be on the AT&T Pre+, then Sprint Pre, and lastly Verizon Pre+.
    Nice to hear some details about the AT&T Pre+ !!!

    WyreNut
  18. #38  
    Tomorow is the last day I can get a replacement from VZW so I'm going to complain the GPS will not work and demand a replacement. (It has nothing to do wit te annoying scratch on my sceen LOL)
  19. #39  
    I just switch WiFi on/off, regardless of whether I'm in reach of an access point. This always does the trick for me-- I then get an accurate read on Google Maps. When I don't do the WiFi switch, I'm always way off on the GPS reading.

    My specs: Palm Pre Plus, 1.4.1.1, both GPS services (including Google services) turned on.

    Of course this is annoying and still limits the usefulness of GPS, i.e. it won't refresh my reading automatically, I have to reset with the WiFi. And I'm annoyed and frustrated with Palm that this problem has yet to be addressed, or even properly acknowledged. As much as I love almost everything else about this phone, hard to recommend it to anyone without bringing this up as an issue.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions