View Poll Results: Does your sprint Pre consistently get a GPS Fix?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, whenever I use any GPS app

126 74.12%
  • No, but launching Sprint Navigation usually fixes the issue

5 2.94%
  • No, but launching Google Maps usually fixes the issue

3 1.76%
  • No, but launching some other app usually fixes the issue

1 0.59%
  • No. I get very inconsistent GPS tracking on my Sprint Pre

29 17.06%
  • I don't have a Sprint Pre. I like voting.

6 3.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The palmcast folks are constantly complaining about the Verizon Pre Plus having GPS issues. But I think I'm having those same (or at least similar) issues on my Sprint Pre.

How about you?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Mine is working great today. It is very unusual for my Pre to have GPS issues. I had a lot of problems day before yesterday, though.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    only issues I have ever had with gps is when I had the gps toggle in the device menu, deleted it and no further proplems.... I kept forgetting to turn it on! Lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    My phone has had a GPS issue since day one, I just chalked it up to a software glitch that'll eventually be fixed. Best I can tell google maps (and for that matter the Fandango app) seem to work fine, but the Sprint nav app itself is hit and miss. Sometimes it'll be fine, but sometimes it'll give me the error that it cannot find my current location and ask if I have a clear view of the sky. Of course almost every time I get the error I'm in my car driving about, and as I said before google maps will work for me fine when that happens.

To fix it sometimes just restarting the app is enough, but most of the time it just takes a full reboot (which when you're lost cause you took a wrong turn in SF, the reboot time can be slightly annoying )
    I had GPS issues when the phone came out, but I think around webOS 1.1 it was fixed. I have not had a single GPS issue for as long as I can remember now (regardless of what app I try to use that uses GPS - including Sprint Navigation)
    Where's the "No, but a reboot will usually correct the issue." option? Anytime I have had an issue, a simple reboot usually resolves it.
    I live in the DFW, TX area, and almost never have issues with GPS on my Sprint Pre; however, last week I was in Washington DC, and wasn't quite so lucky. The government facility where I spent my days had no wireless access, so I put it in airplane mode to save battery. When I got outside, I took it out of airplane mode, but it would not get me a route using Sprint Navigator. On the way home my second day, I discovered that if I rebooted outside, the GPS would connect, and Sprint Navigator worked fine. I tried both several times over the week, and it consistently behaved this way.

I thought about starting a thread, and threatening to leave Palm forever, but I hear rumors that now that they're getting some $$$, they're tracking problem users.

The reboot thing is a hassle, and I can understand the frustration of those that have to go through gyrations to get it to work. Fortunately, it was only a week. Now that I'm back in the DFW area, I'm back to it being reliable.

I should also note, Google Maps seemed to work fine, even giving me an accurate "blue dot", but Sprint Nav required a reboot.

Oh, and I was kidding about the threatening to leave and problem user stuff. Seriously, I was...
    Here is a map of my trip back to work after lunch. It was working pretty well today.

BTW, the map functionality isn't available in my app yet. I hope to upload it today, so it should be available in a few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    my pre never gets a lock! :-( sucks! i don't know what happened
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I only have trouble with Google Maps.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I only have trouble with good maps sprint navigation works great
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I live in the DFW, TX area, and almost never have issues with GPS on my Sprint Pre; however, last week I was in Washington DC, and wasn't quite so lucky. The government facility where I spent my days had no wireless access, so I put it in airplane mode to save battery. When I got outside, I took it out of airplane mode, but it would not get me a route using Sprint Navigator. On the way home my second day, I discovered that if I rebooted outside, the GPS would connect, and Sprint Navigator worked fine. I tried both several times over the week, and it consistently behaved this way.

I thought about starting a thread, and threatening to leave Palm forever, but I hear rumors that now that they're getting some $$$, they're tracking problem users.

The reboot thing is a hassle, and I can understand the frustration of those that have to go through gyrations to get it to work. Fortunately, it was only a week. Now that I'm back in the DFW area, I'm back to it being reliable.

I should also note, Google Maps seemed to work fine, even giving me an accurate "blue dot", but Sprint Nav required a reboot.

Oh, and I was kidding about the threatening to leave and problem user stuff. Seriously, I was...
    The last time I was in Washington in one of those big buildings, I found that I could save my battery sufficiently by using roam only mode. Once I left the building and returned to Sprint, I found that I didn't have a problem with my GPS (Google, not Sprint Nav). Admittedly, this was a few months ago, so the situation may have changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I had GPS issues when the phone came out, but I think around webOS 1.1 it was fixed. I have not had a single GPS issue for as long as I can remember now (regardless of what app I try to use that uses GPS - including Sprint Navigation)
    same here no gps issue (sprint pre)since 1.1
    the only GPS issue I have is Google Maps taking ~30 seconds to open. I usually pins me down well after it opens (unless I'm in a known poor signal area).

M.
    I have sprint,,use my gps often with no problems at all.
    GPS works great! I am in a large city but I just went out to Texas this last weekend and was outside of Austin/San Antonio and used it, it worked great!
    Mine is always spot on, every time. Was not like this at the beginning last summer but was fixed with the update in January.
    Ever since finding out the logout/login fix for google maps, my only problems are fixed with a full restart.

Sure, its glitchy every once in awhile, but it works with a little work.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Where's the "No, but a reboot will usually correct the issue." option? Anytime I have had an issue, a simple reboot usually resolves it.
    Ooops! That woulda been a good one to add.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicman81 View Post
    My phone has had a GPS issue since day one, I just chalked it up to a software glitch that'll eventually be fixed. Best I can tell google maps (and for that matter the Fandango app) seem to work fine, but the Sprint nav app itself is hit and miss. Sometimes it'll be fine, but sometimes it'll give me the error that it cannot find my current location and ask if I have a clear view of the sky. Of course almost every time I get the error I'm in my car driving about, and as I said before google maps will work for me fine when that happens.

To fix it sometimes just restarting the app is enough, but most of the time it just takes a full reboot (which when you're lost cause you took a wrong turn in SF, the reboot time can be slightly annoying )
    Ditto on the Sprint Nav observations. My observation is that the problem appeared about the same time as the webOS 1.4.0 update, and I'm still not convinced that there isn't a software bug haunting both Sprint and Verizon phones.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast