View Poll Results: Does your sprint Pre consistently get a GPS Fix?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, whenever I use any GPS app

126 74.12%
  • No, but launching Sprint Navigation usually fixes the issue

5 2.94%
  • No, but launching Google Maps usually fixes the issue

3 1.76%
  • No, but launching some other app usually fixes the issue

1 0.59%
  • No. I get very inconsistent GPS tracking on my Sprint Pre

29 17.06%
  • I don't have a Sprint Pre. I like voting.

6 3.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Are there any apps or way to use the Sprint current GPS for getting just speed results ?
    Quote Originally Posted by eazypic View Post
    Are there any apps or way to use the Sprint current GPS for getting just speed results ?
    *JUST* speed? Not that I'm aware of but there's "GPS Dashboard" in the Palm App Catalog that does show your current speed, elevation, latitute/longitude.

M.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    My observation is that the problem appeared about the same time as the webOS 1.4.0 update, and I'm still not convinced that there isn't a software bug haunting both Sprint and Verizon phones.....
    That's, of course, why I opened this poll. And from the results it appears that it's a relatively small number of Sprint users who are having this problem. Most seem to be fine. But there are enough sprint users who are also experiencing this to lead me to think that it's not all in our heads.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    *JUST* speed? Not that I'm aware of but there's "GPS Dashboard" in the Palm App Catalog that does show your current speed, elevation, latitute/longitude.

M.
    NiceGPSuperior will give your speed at the press of a button. It is in the App Catalog, or you can see my subforum (DevelopersNice) in the Developers section.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I have a Sprint "Day 1" Pre, and still have GPS issues, always fixable by a reboot. Sometimes it will be good for a few weeks, other times won't last a day. Affects all location services apps. Sure wish this was fixed, but love everything else about webOS and the PRE.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlylee View Post
    I have a Sprint "Day 1" Pre, and still have GPS issues, always fixable by a reboot. Sometimes it will be good for a few weeks, other times won't last a day. Affects all location services apps. Sure wish this was fixed, but love everything else about webOS and the PRE.
    ditto... Also, my wife haf to have her day 1 pre exchanged (volume bug) and her new replacement consistently trumps my phone in having the gps work consistantly
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    GPS Trip Panel is currently $0.99 and fixes all of my GPS problems. Open that app first and all other GPS apps work well.

Got to thank number1pete for this.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I have no major gps issues, however when I open google maps it won't ever get a lock on my position(just stays at the tower) till one day I noticed that if I dial ##GPS# in the phone app and tap 'get fix' it locks in just a few seconds and then google maps works fine.

P.S. I always leave my gps off till an app requests it.
    Seems like the vast majority of people are getting a fix. The other percentage might just have poor coverage or other issue.

There definitely seems like some GPS lock issues though within the code though.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    i didnt vote, because i didnt see the option. mine is fine except w google maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by eazypic View Post
    There is an app called "Speed" in the app catalog that does just that. It works pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i didnt vote, because i didnt see the option. mine is fine except w google maps.

This is EXACTLY what I have to say. It's only Google Maps that is an issue on my phone.

M.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Is the free version supposed to show your speed? Because on my phone, I never get a speed reading from the free version.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I only had an issue (as someone else mentioned) when I had the GPS toggle in the device menue. I deleted and no issues. I changed the default app from Google Maps to Sprint Nav. Preferences from Device Info. I was really pleased yesturday. I needed directions to a meeting I had in my Google Calendar. I went to event location and get directions. Sprint Navigation came right up with the address, my location and perfection directions. I was very pleased. I have been reading alot of negativity about the navigation thing. Not sure if it is all VZ people or not. But I have NEVER had an issue.
    sprint pre, and never have any problems with mine.. I travel all over the country and it is always spot on.. Both google maps and sprint nav work flawlessly....
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    sprint pre, and never have any problems with mine.. I travel all over the country and it is always spot on.. Both google maps and sprint nav work flawlessly....

Google Maps *works*, this is true. It also takes 30 seconds to a minute for it to oopen, is the issue.
    Mine works perfect. I am surprised how accurate mine seems
    i know this is a sprint question and i have verizon but this may answer some questions. was having serious issues with gps pinpointing with google maps that affected my gps controlled apps. decided to see if getting vz nav would correct. immediately after getting vz nav, i get precise pinpoint location on google maps and apps. I maybe stating the obvious but it seems to be a problem geared to get us vz users to fork out $9.99/mo extra.
    That's because Verizon ony allows their app to use the GPS chip in your phone. Prior to using VZ Nav, the best Google Maps could do was triangulate your position between cell towers.

M.
    Frustrating. Sprint GPS is pretty much useless in the Chicago suburbs. It works pretty well in the city but I just couldn't get a location in the suburbs and I needed it pretty quickly since I was on the road driving. I hope this is fixed going forward. GPS is huge if you ask me
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast