1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My Pre appears to have given up the ghost, and I wanted to see if the collective wisdom here could think of anything else I could try to a) figure out what went wrong, b) bring it back from the dead, or c) at the least get my pics off the phone.

Symptoms are: won't turn on at all. Nothing displayed on the screen at all. Not even getting to the bootloader it appears.

Here's the timeline of what happened. I originally posted this in the Uber Kernel thread, but it seems that this issue is unrelated to the uber kernel, so I'm moving it here.

1) 800mhz patched kernel had been running well for a few weeks.
    2) Uninstall 800mhz kernel and install uber kernel and govnah. Life is good.
    3) Works well for 2 days--had a couple of crashes, but they appeared to be the normal sort that come with WebOS 1.4.x.
    4) Go camping for the weekend. Power off phone and place in padded pocket on top of pack. Didn't get wet, dropped, or anything else.
    5) Get back to trailhead, and turn phone back on. Nothing happens.
    6) Pull the battery and try to turn on again. Briefly see the Palm logo, then phone turns back off. Try several more times, but cannot get phone to turn on at all.
    7) Get home and charge phone (wall charger, not touchstone or USB) for several hours. No dice.
    8) Try pulling battery a bunch more times. Nothing.
    9) Try doing the power button + mute rocker reset. Nothing.
    10) Wonder if the power switch has gone bad, so pull off the switch and use a small screwdriver to press the switch and repeat the above. Nothing.
    11) Try webos doctor (volume up + plug in USB). Nothing.

Rwhitby responded thusly, and thinks it may be a battery problem:

Yes, if it was a software problem related to the Uber-Kernel, then the bootloader would still work and the volume up recovery procedure would allow you to webOS Doctor the phone. So we can rule out a software problem.

In fact, because the phone was dead, and you pulled the battery and put it back in and then briefly saw the palm logo, then that would indicate that the CPU is still fine and it's perhaps a battery problem - unless for some extremely unusual reason the CPU just happened to completely die at that very moment briefly after you turned it on, when it still would have been operating at normal stock frequencies because the Uber-Kernel boots at Palm frequencies and does not overclock until another script or service tells it to well after the boot has started (this is one of the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels specifically designed to be fail-safe in these situations).

Perhaps there is a problem with the battery where it will simply not accept a charge. Do you know someone with another webOS device where you can test the battery? Do you have access to another battery?

I would not give up on this device yet. The fact that it was off for a long period, and then gave a short burst of the Palm logo says to me that the phone is fine, but just not getting power from the battery.

Thanks for reporting it in this thread - overclocking is inherently a risky activity, since you are operating a device outside of its guaranteed specification limits, so it is right to not discount overclocking itself (as opposed to any particular kernel) as a possible cause for any failure, hardware or software.

People need to understand the risks they are taking (as you stated clearly at the top of the message that you are) so reminders like this (even though I don't think your phone is actually dead, just your battery) are good to have from time to time for those people who may not have it in the forefront of their minds that this could possibly happen to them as a result of overclocking, and that they are taking the full burden of that risk upon themselves by doing it, and have no legal or moral recourse to Palm, their carrier, or WebOS Internals if it does happen to them.

-- Rod
    Additional information: When I leave the phone plugged into the charger, it does get warm.

Additionally, I recently plugged it into the USB on my laptop, and the computer started searching for an "OMAP3430" driver, implying that the PC recognized that something resembling my phone had just been plugged in.

Any ideas?
    I'm in agreeance that this sounds like a battery problem have you been able to get a hold of a second battery to test this out?

You can go to a local retail store and try one of theirs laying around.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  3.    #3  
    I have not gotten to try a different battery yet. I'm going to try to swing by a Sprint store after work today.

I too wonder if the power switch could be the problem. Like I said, I have tried pulling off the plastic switch and pressing the actual switch below using a paper clip or jeweler's screwdriver, but neither had any effect.

Is there a way to force it to try to power on without using the switch (i.e. a key combination or anything)?
    Quote Originally Posted by aravenel View Post
    Is there a way to force it to try to power on without using the switch (i.e. a key combination or anything)?
    If it is off and you plug it into a charger, assuming the battery is in, it will come on.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BozackJenkins View Post
    If it is off and you plug it into a charger, assuming the battery is in, it will come on.
    Thanks. Well, that rules out the power switch as the culprit then--I've done this any number of times with no effect
    i also think it sounds like the battery, i would stop trying to pull the power switch off just to avoid breaking it. i know it's frustrating not having a phone but just wait to try another another battery
  7.    #7  
    So the consensus definitely seems to battery. I'll try to get by the Sprint store tonight and see if they have a battery I can test. Are battery failures typically covered under warranty?
    Battery should be covered under warranty.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

9.    #9  
    Well, I stopped by the Sprint store today, and unfortunately, they only have technicians available from 10-4, and wouldn't let me try a battery from one of the demo units. Given that I work normal hours and there isn't a Sprint store near my place of work, this means that I'm dead in the water for at least 2 weeks until I can get to a Sprint store during those hours. Looks like I'll be moving back to my ancient Blackberry for the forseeable future...

Really, you'd think that a company that is losing subscribers by the bucketload every quarter would try to keep their customers happy, but I suppose that's another story. Ugh.

Anyone have any last-ditch hail mary suggestions?
    Try contacting the store back and speak to someone during the normal business hours. A technician I would think should be able to leave a battery out for you to try in your device when you stop by after they are gone. If it can't happen ask to speak to a manager.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

This happened to me and it was the battery. Hope you can get to a store. The Sprint store by my work just gave me a new one and let me be on my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordo487 View Post
    This happened to me and it was the battery. Hope you can get to a store. The Sprint store by my work just gave me a new one and let me be on my way.
    Same here. Mine just died at work one day. replaced battery and all is fine. good luck
  13.    #13  
    Ill try calling tomorrow and see if I can speak to one of the techs. Grasping at straws here--going to go crazy if I have to go back to my Blackberry!
    maybe try a sprint repair center....the one here stays open until about 8 or 9