1.    #1  
    just got my pre plus 3 weeks ago. First off I love web os and the form facotr of the pre. My concerns are with the recent acquisition of palm by HP are we pre users doomed for future updates? I realize there might be some things in the near future update wise but what about 6 months from now? Does anyone think att is gona really push the pre when they have the evo coming? For instance when I got my pre the sales guy at verizon kept pushing the droid which I've tried and hated. His second option was the bb storm 2. He never mentioned palm at all. I went in wanting the the pre
    but I like hearing recommendations so I gave him a chance.

I'm wondering if it's best to return my pre and hold on to my NE2 upgrade
    Personally I think you are a lot "safer" today than you were before the acquisition talks. They will not abandon the Pre, as webOS updates come out they will be targeted for all webOS devices. Now, keep in mind that the Pre (whether regular or plus) is like any computing device -- it has a normal lifecycle. Most carriers seem to have placed that lifecycle at 2 - 3 years (which is why they offer upgrade pricing after two years). Even after the Pre and Pre Plus are no longer manufactured, and most of the world has moved onto other webOS devices, I still think there will be updates that affect the Pre. Granted, it will never be able to record HD video or take 15MP pictures, but there will be base things in webOS that will still apply.

I would keep your Pre Plus.

EDIT: Oh, and if you like hearing recommendations, stick around here for a while, you will see all kinds of recommendations!! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlvrSRT8 View Post
    just got my pre plus 3 weeks ago. First off I love web os and the form facotr of the pre. My concerns are with the recent acquisition of palm by HP are we pre users doomed for future updates? I realize there might be some things in the near future update wise but what about 6 months from now? Does anyone think att is gona really push the pre when they have the evo coming? For instance when I got my pre the sales guy at verizon kept pushing the droid which I've tried and hated. His second option was the bb storm 2. He never mentioned palm at all. I went in wanting the the pre
    but I like hearing recommendations so I gave him a chance.

I'm wondering if it's best to return my pre and hold on to my NE2 upgrade
    Upgrades will still be coming and I think that HP wants it that way. Releasing features and improvements debugs them for the webOS slate platform and makes that device so much more better overall. I don't thin you have anything to worry about other than this time next year (if all of HP plays this acquisition correctly) you'll be wanting to get rid of your Pre Plus for it's replacement.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 05/03/2010 at 02:38 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Well that's at least promising. If I were to return it I would go back to my old v9m as there is nothing else on verizon that remotely interests me. But I am leaning more towards keeping it.
    it's such a fantastic little device.
    HP will make it better, and you have less to worry about than before the announcement. Your pre is going to be your friend for a loooong time!
    I'll second the notion that you're "safer" now than you were a few days ago. Every company has concerns over reputation. They may choose to abandon reputation because of the cost to maintain a good rep, but every company would still like to have a good reputation.

My fear a couple of weeks back was that Palm might not be able to afford to maintain the "old" if they introduced "new", and would have to decide on one or the other. That concern is now gone. HP understands that reputation doesn't come free. They will maintain (and likely even improve) Palm's reputation. Updates will continue for quite some time.
    Where did you hear that AT&T is "having the Evo coming"? It's my understanding that the Evo will be a Sprint exclusive at launch this summer. Perhaps you meant AT&T will be getting the new iPhone.
    I have to believe that Palm is *way* better off under HP's wing than on their own at this point. They would have had a major struggle keeping afloat for more than another year or so if their sales didn't improve substantially. With HP's deep pockets, Palm owners should be fine as long as HP sees some progress ... and we might even see more webOS devices than we would have otherwise (can you say "tablet"?).
  9.    #9  
    yeah that's what I meant. Sorry for the mix up.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks to everyone that chimed in. It helped me decide to keep it.
    Apple.........The New Skynet
    Good choice. Now all you have to do is learn all the features that the phone can do and you will not be able to put it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlvrSRT8 View Post
    Thanks to everyone that chimed in. It helped me decide to keep it.
    Great to hear you're keeping it.
    Here's your homework assignment:
    • Read-up on WebOS Quick Install and load it on your computer
    • Leave your Pre on in "Delevorper Mode"...(hint: search for Konami Code here at PreCentral)
    • Learn how to install Preware ... this is where you'll expand the usefulness of your device
    • Make a few friends here that you can PM when you need specific individual help...fell free to PM me whenever you get stuck
    • OVERCLOCKING !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Great to hear you're keeping it.
    Here's your homework assignment:
    • Read-up on WebOS Quick Install and load it on your computer
    • Leave your Pre on in "Delevorper Mode"...(hint: search for Konami Code here at PreCentral)
    • Learn how to install Preware ... this is where you'll expand the usefulness of your device
    • Make a few friends here that you can PM when you need specific individual help...fell free to PM me whenever you get stuck
    • OVERCLOCKING !!!!
    yeah what he said.