1.    #1  
    So, my phone use to be fine. I installed the 800mhz patch a longtime ago (well, like 3 weeks ago or 4, when it first came out. Stayed up for Caj to post the baby). So, i've being using it for a while. So, yesterday, i drove to six flags with my Sprint Navigation. Before that, i turned google maps, but i closed it about 3 secs after i open Sprint Navigation. About 5 mins later, Jason's patch flashed a warning that the phone is too hot, so i turned it off even if i might get lost. I let it sit for about 20mins, then i turned it back up and then opened sprint navigation again and kept it moving. About 10mins later, the warning flashed again and i felt the phone, the phone was extremely hot, so i turned it off again. I had to keep doing it till i got there and on my way back. Even till today, it gets hot while its just sitting there and im not even using it. Is the phone suppose to get hot while im charging it?

Any help will be deeply appreciated!
    was it warmer in your car than normal? Were you charging the battery while doing that?

I know sometimes that using Pandora on long drives will drive up the temp and set off my alarm with the other radios on. I just hold my phone in front of the air conditioner vent and cool it down.

The Touchstone charger really generates a lot of heat. Is that what you are using? I usually turn off every radio and just use it as a 2G phone (there is a patch for that!) when on the touchstone. Partly because of heat, and partly because it seems to charge faster.

The warning patch you are using is actually measuring battery temp. I suppose it's possible that you have a battery problem. Do you have an old Centro battery to experiment with? Can you turn off Wifi/GPS/Bluetooth for awhile and see if it helps to only have the phone+data radio on?

Also, I think the "UberKernel" that some people are using actually has a temp probe of the CPU rather than the battery (be sure to verify that and don't take my word for it) and that might help you see if the problem is in the phone or just the battery.

I am still using the kernel from caj as you are, and I won't have time to remove it to try the UberKernel/Govnah stuff for a few weeks. If you have the time, that might help you get some additional info for troubleshooting.
    The device can get quite warm when it is using an intensive application (like Sprint Navigation). I have also found it gets warmer charging on the touchstone than through the normal port, however with all that being said it should never get hot to the point that it burns you.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The device can get quite warm when it is using an intensive application (like Sprint Navigation). I have also found it gets warmer charging on the touchstone than through the normal port, however with all that being said it should never get hot to the point that it burns you.
    HardBeatZ, does Palm have a recommended "safe" temp guidline? The patch goes off at 45 deg c. At what temp do you think the battery temp is dangerous for the safety of the phone?

Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    was it warmer in your car than normal? Were you charging the battery while doing that?

I know sometimes that using Pandora on long drives will drive up the temp and set off my alarm with the other radios on. I just hold my phone in front of the air conditioner vent and cool it down.

The Touchstone charger really generates a lot of heat. Is that what you are using? I usually turn off every radio and just use it as a 2G phone (there is a patch for that!) when on the touchstone. Partly because of heat, and partly because it seems to charge faster.
    No, i dont own a touchstone charger. I was charging it with the regular AC Charger in my car. I have an adapter that makes me able to connect the regular AC Charger to the car. And i already have the Device Menu patch with volume control. I dont think i can install that topbar patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Yeah, first i was using Sprint Nav and google maps at first, then i turned off google maps but the device was still hot, so i restarted it and ran only Sprint Nav, but it still got hot. It wasnt hot enough to burn me, but it was hotter than usual and the temp climbed to 50C for the first time since i had it.
    HardBeatZ, does Palm have a recommended "safe" temp guidline? The patch goes off at 45 deg c. At what temp do you think the battery temp is dangerous for the safety of the phone?

Thanks!
    I can't say one way or another if there is a hardlined temperature that we look at. 45 degree c is 113 degree F which is pretty warm so I think that is a good level.

The main thing is that it should never feel like it's going to burn you at that point that you feel like you can get burnt by the device you should contact Palm immediately for your safety.

--HardBeatZ
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Just my 2 cents...the one time my phone got *really* hot, is using GPS navigation, while having the car charger plugged in. I think either one by itself gets the phone pretty warm, together it gets like hand burning hot (I was pretty scared). Thankfully, that's the only situation I've encountered it.

Luckily, I had a cupholder in front of my air conditioning vent, so I just leave the phone in there with my AC cranked on while using GPS with the car charger plugged in.

BTW, I had my phone oc'd only at 720mhz.
    Above 50 is dangerous for the phone, possible near failure. 45 to 49 is usually seen as 'safe' but should be avoided. Prolonged use above 45 can lead to detrimental effects. What I have found is that when running intensive programmes on the TS my device will hit a peak temp of 46-48 degrees then climbs back down to 41-43, I have not a clue why this is but have been noticing it a lot, I removed jasons temp patch because I knew my phone would cool down on its own without me closing anything. Anyway have an explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    No, i dont own a touchstone charger. I was charging it with the regular AC Charger in my car. I have an adapter that makes me able to connect the regular AC Charger to the car. And i already have the Device Menu patch with volume control. I dont think i can install that topbar patch.

Yeah, first i was using Sprint Nav and google maps at first, then i turned off google maps but the device was still hot, so i restarted it and ran only Sprint Nav, but it still got hot. It wasnt hot enough to burn me, but it was hotter than usual and the temp climbed to 50C for the first time since i had it.
    Well, the AC converter would make me suspicious, but it sounds like it's also overheating while charging on your desk with the standard Palm charger. Is that true?

I used to use a converter in my car because the laptop I had needed so much juice. It made everything get hot, especially the AC Adapter on my PC. If it's not overheating when you use the Palm charger plugged in to a wall outlet, you might want to spring for $20 and get the Palm car charger (it's actually very small and well designed). If the overheating is the same at home using the Palm desktop charger, I'd be inclined to buy a 2nd battery from Verizon and try that. You can always return it if it doesn't help.

And if it does help, return it anyway and get the higher-capacity Siedio (or similar) battery. They are cheaper, too. (grin)

I would definitely take this seriously of you are seeing a major change in temp from what was previously normal. In the weeks before you had the temp alarms, where you using the GPS service and/or streaming lots of music?
    I found that using the Pre in the car when it is in direct sunshine can cause the temp to go up a LOT. Was running GPS Dashboard with my Pre plugged into the charger and sitting on the seat next to me. The Temp Warning patch was going off every three minutes and it was very hot to the touch. Tried opening the keyboard and the temp warning only went off every 5 minutes. Just as an experiment, set the phone on the floor of the passenger seat (out of the direct sunlight) and never heard the temp warning go off again (of course, I couldn't see the speed I was going on it either ;-) ).

I assume since it is black, it is just going to suck in all that heat from the sun, probably nothing that can be done about that.
    My Pre Plus gets very hot when using HotSpot (no pun intended). I'm on vacation & using HotSpot 2-3 times a day; each time the device is really hot..... Haven't experienced this with other apps.
  12.    #12  
    Well, the AC converter would make me suspicious, but it sounds like it's also overheating while charging on your desk with the standard Palm charger. Is that true?

I used to use a converter in my car because the laptop I had needed so much juice. It made everything get hot, especially the AC Adapter on my PC. If it's not overheating when you use the Palm charger plugged in to a wall outlet, you might want to spring for $20 and get the Palm car charger (it's actually very small and well designed). If the overheating is the same at home using the Palm desktop charger, I'd be inclined to buy a 2nd battery from Verizon and try that. You can always return it if it doesn't help.

And if it does help, return it anyway and get the higher-capacity Siedio (or similar) battery. They are cheaper, too. (grin)

I would definitely take this seriously of you are seeing a major change in temp from what was previously normal. In the weeks before you had the temp alarms, where you using the GPS service and/or streaming lots of music?
    Well, i'll also look into the USB cord. The certified Palm USB cord got messed up (actually i decided to stop working on its own) and i got a new one off another site. The site said it was a certified Palm USB but, when i got it, it looked like a BB USB cord or some cheaply made ripoff, but its being working fine! And i always use the AC Adapter while listening to music on Pandora and nothing happens. And normally, i charge it while im at work and its just fine, it doesnt get hot. Im not sure, its probably just because i had it going for a while ( like someone stated). Obviously, this cant be fixed by a patch or a software upgrade, so lets hope the next Palm Device addresses this issue. My friend's iPhone get hot too, because he was using his as a music source and i was using my Pre as a GPS. But, all and all, its good now. I actually took the phone and put it in a bowl of ice cubes (not the best idea ever, but i made sure i didnt let the ice melt) So its cool now
    I've had this problem. Try uninstalling the 800 patch and reinstall it.