Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hello

I've had the Pre for almost a year now and am just a couple of months away to being able to upgrade to a new phone. I love webOS but I will be making the move to the Evo. Therefore, my Pre will be useless.

My brother is on verizon and he's a college student that can barely afford the plan as it is. He's got a contract with verizon so he cant go anytime soon. He needs a new phone but verizon charges the extra $30 (?) data plan for any smartphone even if he will only use the phone for talk/text. So I was wondering if there's a way he (on verizon) can use my sprint Pre for talk/text that way he can:
    1) avoid the extra monthly data fee
    2) avoid buying a new phone

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Your main problem would be getting verizon to activate ESN from sprint.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    meaning?
    Quote Originally Posted by zizour10 View Post
    meaning?
    It's not going to happen...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Every CDMA phone has a unique identification number called ESN. Verizon most probably will not activate a phone with Sprint ESN.
    Quote Originally Posted by zizour10 View Post
    meaning?
    Not trying to be a jerk but if you have to ask what that means you wouldn't be able to do any kind of "hacking" on the pre to get it functioning even if verizon was willing to activate the ESN
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk but if you have to ask what that means you wouldn't be able to do any kind of "hacking" on the pre to get it functioning even if verizon was willing to activate the ESN
    And then there is the issue of getting it activated without a data plan addon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    And then there is the issue of getting it activated without a data plan addon...
    Well a Meta doctor would make that possible with minimal effort
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    not going to help. meaning Verizon will not let you activate without mandatory data plan but before getting that far you will need to activate it on Verizon network which most likely will not happen. I did this a long time ago with Treo 650 that came out on sprint and I wanted to use it on Verizon. There was a short window when verizon would activate Treo ESNs because they thought it was one of their old phones.
    How about selling the Pre on eBay and then taking that money and buying a Verizon phone from wherever (used on eBay)?
    Well a Meta doctor would make that possible with minimal effort
    I was talking about using a Pre on Verizon without the required data plan addon
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    basically the whole point of this is he needs a smartphone (texting/calender/contacts) on verizon without having to pay an additional charge for Data every month.
    Even basic flip phones handle texting, calendar, and contacts without the data plan
    idk, but a dataless "webos" would kinda suck... I thought verizon changed their tune about "unlocked" phones. Coulda sworn they said they would activate it as long as it used the appropriate bands...
    It is possible to get non-Verizon phones on Verizon MVNO's but not direct Verizon. They will never accept a non-Verizon ESN into their database. Now making your phone being able to work off Verizon is pretty easy to do, but once again Verizon will never let you activate nor let you do an ESN switch.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Even basic flip phones handle texting, calendar, and contacts without the data plan
    Nah. qwerty keyboards, faster processors, touchscreens. all are important.
    not gonna happen.