Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    hopefully, i have this posted in the right spot.... i found this keyboard in app catalog...i've read some of the reviews there....but i would like some additional thoughts from readers of this forum....for those of you that have tried it, is it better than the standard keyboard? does it limit you to the 160 character count? or can you just keep typing your message....thanks in advance.
    i have found it to be useless. None of the soft keyboards are worth anything, including the one you can get from QuickInstall.

I wish it was easier to use the Pre+ in landscape mode, but for typing, the physical keyboard is great once you get used to it.

Save your time/money and skip the soft keyboards. I bought them all, and uninstalled them all.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    thanks for the advice...i'm still in my 30 day trial period with my pre+ .... so far the keyboard is the only thing that is driving me crazy!!!! its day 14 and im adjusting, but i feel like i'm typing in slow motion!.....another odd thing is, i can type on the keyboard without looking at it, better thank i can on my blackberry...strange....BTW...your avatar is funny, that was my 1st smartphone...i still have the box!.....thanks again!
    Try the Virtual Keyboard patch in Preware. I use it and it's decent.
    i think the virtual keyboard in preware is ok, better than nothing when you just need a few characters typed. My biggest use, looking up a contact/phone number in the phone app without having to open the slider. It's free too!
    My Home Keyboard. It really rocks. It's solid and intuitive. Link below.

I love it and use it all the time. Give it a try.

And no I'm not the dev.
    The basic problem with all the soft keyboards is that the UI isn't designed to accomodate them. So you end up with your entry field being covered up, backspace doesn't always work, and autocorrect functionality doesn't work. Even the iPhone keyboard, widely held to be the ultimate in soft keyboards, would be a nightmare without robust autocorrection.

I would be surprised if the next WebOs device doesn't have an integrated soft keyboard, assuming the screen size is in the 3.7 to 4 inch range. Realistically, the Pre's screen is too small for a decent soft keyboard experience. Either the keyboard itself or the left over screenspace would be too small for usability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    i think the virtual keyboard in preware is ok, better than nothing when you just need a few characters typed. My biggest use, looking up a contact/phone number in the phone app without having to open the slider. It's free too!
    It is ok as long as you use it in the messaging app, it is hard to use in the email app and it is a bit skow and inaccurate
    The preware patch keyboard is the best one. However, it's still a far cry from a real virtual keyboard such as on every other device out there. No autocorrect, plus weird stuff like you sometimes can't backspace to correct your own words.