Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    By the way, here is the best post I've seen on the workings of Palm GPS...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html
    I don't understand why you're here crying on a forum if your phone is broken?

Just go into the store... tell them here: it doesn't work. If they can't make it work, then it should be under warranty, or they might be able to fix it for you.

And if you're in that much constant danger, it might be a good idea for you to just look around and keep track of where you are. (how the hell do you not know where you are?)
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The fact that yours works just makes you rude and unhelpful, and unwelcome in his club for people that think Verizon conspires to cripple things so their customers will be angry and return their phones and switch to the competition.
    I never in any of my posts stated that Verizon crippled the GPS. I stated that the GPS in Google maps is crippled and asked if it has an effect on e911. Obviously many people have the same exact issue so your anecdotal evidence that it works is just that, it's anecdotal.

For example at my place of employment, the GPS shows me to within a few feet of accuracy. At my home it shows me anywhere from 20 feet to a mile. At my mom's home it's consistently a mile. Obviously for some people when they check it, it will be consistently good thanks to their location. I checked it in three different places and got widely different results.

Now I did not blame VZW, Google or any other company. Frankly I don't know nor do I care who is at fault and it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. I was simply concerned that if I am in an unfamiliar location, get into an accident and call 911, instead of looking for me within 50-300m radius, they will look for me 1600 meters away (roughly a distance of a mile for those unfamiliar).

You had no idea whether it had an effect on e911, but yet you felt obligated to hijack this thread and show to me and others interested that we're all wrong and that the phone is fine. Thanks for your continued opinion, but I respectfully disagree.
    Last edited by dandar; 05/03/2010 at 06:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    I never in any of my posts stated that Verizon crippled the GPS. I stated that the GPS in Google maps is crippled and asked if it has an effect on e911. Obviously many people have the same exact issue so your anecdotal evidence that it works is just that, it's anecdotal.

For example at my place of employment, the GPS shows me to within a few feet of accuracy. At my home it shows me anywhere from 20 feet to a mile. At my mom's home it's consistently a mile. Obviously for some people when they check it, it will be consistently good thanks to their location. I checked it in three different places and got widely different results.

Now I did not blame VZW, Google or any other company. Frankly I don't know nor do I care who is at fault and it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. I was simply concerned that if I am in an unfamiliar location, get into an accident and call 911, instead of looking for me within 50-300m radius, they will look for me 1600 meters away (roughly a distance of a mile for those unfamiliar).

You had no idea whether it had an effect on e911, but yet you felt obligated to hijack this thread and show to me and others interested that we're all wrong and that the phone is fine. Thanks for your continued opinion, but I respectfully disagree.
    Thank you for clarifying. I apologize if you think I hijacked anything. I did get a little peeved at being told to get a life, but I should have stayed above that.

In terms of e911, I know exactly how this issue impacts safety and that's why I posted about it. The purpose of e911 is to properly route your calls, and I thought you and others might need to be assured that you are safe.

Although the day may come when they will use GPS data to "look" for you, currently it's about call routing. And unless you are in the wilderness, I'm sure that once they are within 1,600 meters, there will only be one or two wrecks to choose from.

Ironically, I spent several hours today running tests for another user that doesn't see me the way you do. I may have actually been able to create your situation on my phone, and I think I found a few clues about what is actually happening. I will find a GPS thread to post my findings on, and I will also send them to Palm to see if it helps.

As I said, I am happy to help those that want it and I will try to be less touchy with those that don't

I hope you feel safe with your current phone, and I hope you come up with a way to get the GPS functionality you need.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12