1.    #1  
    Since switching from my Palm Treo Pro to the Pre, I have a ton of duplicate entries in my contacts. Probably 5 duplicate contacts per entry! I now have 1600 contacts!

Also, the contacts automatically sync up with each other and combine auomatically.

All of this is driving me nuts. What can I do about it?????

Thanks!
    how are you syncing contacts? Are dupes on your Pre only or in Outlook? There are lots of utilities to clean up dupes in Outlook, for example.
    Do you have facebook, google, linkedin, microsoft exchange, or a yahoo account synced as well?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Gmail also has a 'duplicate contact' function that allows you to combine duplicates....
    Clean up your source data dude,, don't blame the Pre!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I had the same thing since I was tempted to add every messenging and email account I had ... I deleted the old AIM account since I had hundreds of contacts from that alone and I haven't really used AIM for maybe 8 years. Otherwise, the linked profiles work well.

Are you possibly doing an Exchange sync and also a desktop sync? Not sure if that would cause duplicates.
    I only had dupes because I was sync'ing my MSN (via Messenger plugin) and Google contacts. I just linked them all up using Synergy.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Clean up your source data dude,, don't blame the Pre!
    What do you mean "source data?" I had no duplicates with Windows moble on my Treo Pro. I sync the first time from Outlook to my Pre and I get duplicates. Through time, I had to refresh my Pre. Synched again and had even more duplicates. And the list just grows and grows and grows.....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    Do you have facebook, google, linkedin, microsoft exchange, or a yahoo account synced as well?

I do have 5 Yahoo account synced but there are not many contacts in them.

I really don't want to synch my yahoo accounts I really just want my Outlook contacts. Just don't know how to stop it.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by KMachine View Post
    I had the same thing since I was tempted to add every messenging and email account I had ... I deleted the old AIM account since I had hundreds of contacts from that alone and I haven't really used AIM for maybe 8 years. Otherwise, the linked profiles work well.

Are you possibly doing an Exchange sync and also a desktop sync? Not sure if that would cause duplicates.

No. I don't have an Exchange account. Just Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    What do you mean "source data?" I had no duplicates with Windows moble on my Treo Pro. I sync the first time from Outlook to my Pre and I get duplicates. Through time, I had to refresh my Pre. Synched again and had even more duplicates. And the list just grows and grows and grows.....
    Start by removing those accounts, so you can sync one at a time. It sounds like you are syncing outlook through gmail. That is probably where your issue is. As you remove other accounts, the contacts from those accounts wil be removed from your phone. Then you can troubleshoot what is going on between gmail and Synergy.

I've said many times that I won't EVER sync my important and confidential Outlook info to google (or any cloud service), so I spent the money for pocket mirror and I sync with my outlook client old-school, like I did with every Palm device I had before getting the Pre+. I know that doesn't help you, but it tells you that you have an alternative...

I know others have had issues with the way gmail syncs with outlook. Once you are only syncing with one source, it should be easier to find the problem.

Also, there are several places you will have to go to remove those other accounts. I learned this the hard way. The list includes (but there may be more) Contacts, Photos, Calendar, and the messaging app.

Once you've done that, force the "back-up" of your palm profile. I failed to do that and one of the apps grabbed the account back and I had to start all over.

If you want to try Pocket Mirror or CompanionLink, they offer a 7 day trial. It's a decent way to figure out how Synergy works without gmail and without spending any money. Just don't try them both before cleaning out your contats, because each aplication will look like a unique source to Synergy, and you will have duplicates again. I also learned THAT the hard way...
    The only problem I had with duplicated was when I initially setup the Pre, I let it pull info from Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, and Facebook and there was a problem with the Pre not recognizing many of my Facebook contacts as the same people in Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo because of different email addresses or because they were using their real names in Facebook and aliases in other services. It was a pain, but I just linked them up manually and the issues were solved. I can't really blame the phone if it doesn't realize that people with different names and email address are the same people.
    BTW. You might have to use a different e-mail in your Palm Profile to get Gmail to stop doing stuff.

You can change the email address attached to your profile on the Palm website. I use my own e-mail domain so there is no way to associate my profile with any of my free on-line email accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx View Post
    How are you syncing with Outlook? Keep in mind, the Pre does not sync directly with Outlook. There are three possibilities here, and I suspect you're talking about the first.

• You can use Palm's Data Transfer Agent. However, you should note, this is not a sync solution. It transfers one way. And it should be a one-time operation. Once you've done this, those contacts are in the Palm Profile on your Pre. They are saved as part of your backup. When you get a new device, they are restored. If you do the DTA again, you are duplicating them.
    • You can sync with a server based solution, such as Exchange, Google, Yahoo, etc. This is really your best solution (in my opinion). You can continue to use Outlook, and still use Google, and have both your Pre and Outlook sync with Google. Then, all your information stays consistent.
    • You can purchase a third-party app to sync a stand-alone Outlook client. There are several available. I haven't kept up though, since I prefer OTA synchronization.

Again, please note. Out of the box, the Palm Pre does not sync with a stand alone Outlook system.