Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I devised of a way of operating the phone slider using one hand. Wasn't really a fan of pushing down on the screen to slide open and close..

I basically use the thumb, index and ring finger to hold phone on side, then use index finger to push the phone open and close.

Made a video to demonstrate:

Works really well with the "Close to Hangup" patch.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Ever since I put the invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG on my Pre I have had no problem sliding it open with one hand. The surface has a rubber like feel to it and the phone slides open with little thumb pressure on the screen.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Interesting. Now that you demonstrated it, I'll have to see how often it comes in handy. Thanks for tip!
    Mine always seemed to slide better with my left hand instead of the right hand, even though i'm a righty (please don't read too much into that).
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Mine always seemed to slide better with my left hand instead of the right hand, even though i'm a righty (please don't read too much into that).
    Don't have to read into it. You stated all that need to be said.
    Maybe your right has cramps.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    I just slide up up with my thumb on the bottom and the pre resting on my palm (no pun intended)
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I just slide up up with my thumb on the bottom and the pre resting on my palm (no pun intended)
    You are all making this to easy. Good thing you used an "n" instead of a "d" with the second to last word.

We want them!!!
    Nice... but let me guess, the shiny mirror in the back of your Pre isn't so shiny anymore with all the finger smudges ? seems your technique is very prone to causing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    Nice... but let me guess, the shiny mirror in the back of your Pre isn't so shiny anymore with all the finger smudges ? seems your technique is very prone to causing that.
    And what are you using the mirror for applying your makeup. Lol just kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrazy88 View Post
    And what are you using the mirror for applying your makeup. Lol just kidding.
    Some of use still look great older and we like to admire that fact from time to time.

We want them!!!
    Is this technique too complicated?

as for downward force on the screen, don't use any... the less you push down the easier it slides.
    I rest my thumb on top of the screen, and push upwards. It works great for me.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post

as for downward force on the screen, don't use any... the less you push down the easier it slides.
    My method, sort of uses the three fingers as a "guide" for the slider action. I get a safer feeling I'm not inducing oreo on the phone. Using the thumb method, if the thumb is towards the edge too much and pushing too hard, I think that could cause oreo because you're giving excessive force on one rail and using the other rail as a pivot.

Another thing is when my phone gets a bit oily on the surface, there's not enough friction to open the slide using the thumb method.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 05/02/2010 at 07:28 AM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I rest my thumb on top of the screen, and push upwards. It works great for me.
    Don't know if it is true or not but a Sprint repairman told me that my habit of opening the Pre (one handed) by pushing up with the thumb on one side was contributing to the oreo effect. He suggested placing the thumb in the center of the screen at the bottom and pushing up from there. He said the other method placed too much pressure on the opposite side.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    If it makes you feel better the technical explanation is that the slider mechanism is weaker on one side.

When opening with your right hand the thumb usually pushes from the left side of the screen this sometimes cause it to stick. Either use your left so that the thumb automatically pushes un the right side of the screen or if using the right hand, make sure you avoid opening with the thumb at the left side.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post

Simple and probably the way the designers intended!!!
    I hold the Pre in my right hand and open and close with my thumb in the centre of the screen.(works for me!)
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Thanks. I will practice that. I think my fingers will be too slick to hang on to the stationary part, but I'll give it a try.

As clumsy as I am, I was thinking about using epoxy to hold the slider open and call it a Pixi Plus Plus because of the larger screen. (j/k)

Good tip.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Simple and probably the way the designers intended!!!

0:36, it's supposed to be hold with one hand, then push up on the gesture area using thumb.

same here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast