1.    #1  
    Hi,
    My Google Maps gps shows my location about a mile from where I am.
    Is there any way to calibrate it?
    No way to calibrate it, but it sounds like you either have "Enable Google Services" on (Go into Location Services->Preferences and uncheck this - only allow GPS) or you're dealing with the same gps issues the rest of the world is going through with their pre's.
    Are you running a pre plus from Verizon?
    Open VZ Navigator, let it load up, then open Google Maps again
    dont mess with vz navi....all you need to do is toggle auto-locate off and locate using google services off. your GPS is fine.

what i do is when i go inside i'll toggle on locate me using to google services, not GPS (to save battery) i always leave auto locate off, all it does is force the pre to ask permission to access the gps radio.
    Are you outside when trying this? If you're in a building & far away from any windows then the GPS receiver can't see any satellites in order to give you a precise location.. in that case the A-GPS cell tower triangulation just shows the general area you're in
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Are you outside when trying this? If you're in a building & far away from any windows then the GPS receiver can't see any satellites in order to give you a precise location.. in that case the A-GPS cell tower triangulation just shows the general area you're in
    i can say that the pre's gps chipset is lacking, if its not clear skies and no trees then you may have to wait 5-10 minutes for it to load all the satellites. but once it does, it does fine. the key is auto-locate off and toggle off locate me using google servs when you want the real gps location.
    Interesting. I had "google service" enabled and my position was very accurate (showed me in my house). When I disabled "google services" and when with "gps" only, my position drifted to a quarter mile away. Did I misunderstand the advice in this thread?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 737swove View Post
    Interesting. I had "google service" enabled and my position was very accurate (showed me in my house). When I disabled "google services" and when with "gps" only, my position drifted to a quarter mile away. Did I misunderstand the advice in this thread?

Thanks.
    I usually have Google Services off. That's an interesting point. I think I will mess with that tonight...
    Hi, I have been oddly fascinated with this topic as there seem to be lots of people with the issue, lots of people with ideas, and lots of people (including me) that don't have the problem.

I was trying to help another user and decided to try a few things on my phone. I hope you don't mind the rather lengthy text below. I "sort of" had the accuracy issue which I hadn't seen previously, and I did some things to troubleshoot. Finally, the issue seemed to correct itself. The clue for me was that the inaccurate location is showed for me just happened to be my location when I opened Google Latitude yesterday... and I think that could be a clue. Below is what I wrote up. It may need some editing for this context so I apologize if it sounds like I don't understand grammar. Please take a look and let me know if you think this sheds any light on this, and especially if anyone is willing to head to a starbucks parking lot to try similar tests...

Here is what I just did. I put my phone in airplane mode (to make sure it wasn't triangulating with cell towers - so I needed WiFi for Google to get the maps at launch). I rebooted my phone. I turned on the LBS and Wifi. I waited 2 minutes. I launched Google Latitude and told it to update my location. About 3 minutes later, it locked my location as said I was about 1/2 mile from where I actually am. What confused me is that it actually was showing me where I was the last time I updated my location yesterday - and it had been accurate to about 50 feet... and that might be a clue... could it be that it isn't overwriting my location with the new one? I sent myself a txt message with the coordinates.

Then, I shut down google maps and latitude. I started up a free app called "Send My Location for WebOS". I like that app because it understands that it hasn't checked my location in awhile and asks if it should check. I told it to check my location. After about 2 minutes, it had a fix. I clicked the button telling it to open google maps to show my location... and it showed my as being withing about 25-30 feet of where I was actually standing. It's very cloudy/rainy today, so locking my coordinates was a bit slow. I switched to the satellite view and I could tell where it was indicating in my yard exactly. Very accurate, indeed.

It's almost like the text-my-location app had to force Google to refresh the map location. Stranger still, the txt I sent with my coordinates BEFORE telling the app to refresh my location was accurate when I opened it up (after turning off airplane mode so it could send the message). That tells me that Google knew where I was, but didn't know that it needed to redraw the map....maybe?

I can't run any more tests today, but that should give you some ideas that the problem might be with the app and not VZ. It also should give you some tests to run when you have time.

To review: I turned off every radio (phone, wifi, lbs, etc) and restarted my phone. I launched a free stopwatch app to time things. I turned on LBS and Wifi and then launched Google Latitude. I told it to find me, and then show me on the map (which launches Google Maps). It showed a location from yesterday. I sent my coordinates via txt via "send my location" without telling that app to find me.

Then I shut down all 3 apps and relaunched "send my location" and told it to find me. It cycled for about 2 minutes and then said my previous location had a really old time stamp. I told it to update, and it churned for another two minutes and updated my coordinates. I told it to show me on Google, and it shows me within 25-30 feet of where I was standing.

Then I opened the txt I sent when Google was showing the wrong location, and the coordinates were actually from the correct location and Google Maps redrew the map to show my correct location...

Try variations on that (always with the phone radio in airplane mode so you know it isn't triangulating off cell phone towers) and see what you get. Pay special attention to where Google maps says you are, and see if that is a location that you've actually been to or driven past (to indicate that it was displaying a location you have actually been to...)

Load up all of the location-based (free) apps you can find on the app catalog, and try sending your location to your -email from each of them, so you can open them on your PC to see the location on Google maps from a device with no radios at all (your PC).

It's only a hunch, but I think you might have similar results. It also lines up with another post I saw previously, where the person said they only use location-based services on the golf course. He said that sometimes it took several holes of golf for the GPS to give him an accurate fix to he could use the golf-pin-locator app (but never more than 9 holes). From that point, he says that it stays accurate for the entire round.

All of this may indicate that there may be some delay in how the GPS finds its location the first time. It's possible that most people kill the apps in frustration long before it figures out where it is or decides to update the map. I'm not saying that's acceptable, I'm saying that might be a clue where the bug is.

As I think about it, generally when I access the GPS for Latitude or Send-My-Location (which isn't very often) it's because I am sitting in a restaurant, waiting in a car, or generally stationary - and I am meeting someone or wanting someone to be able to see my location with Latitude on their phone... So I am stationary, the phone may be in the same spot or near the same window for quite awhile without me looking at my watch and getting frustrated if it doesn't give my location right away. Remember, that's what I use my Garmin GPS for...

Finally, at some point you should drive somewhere like a starbucks or a friends house, where you can get a wifi connection and repeat all of this. The point is that you want to be working with known locations that you know WHEN you were actually there. That will help you differentiate between an inaccurate reading rather than an "old" reading that was accurate previously...

I think we may be on to something...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/03/2010 at 03:47 PM.