Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have a pre but will be getting a new phone soon. I want to know if I can still use the pre just for email or rss reader over WI FI when the phone is no longer active. I know the answer is probably no but I just wondered why it would not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantzak View Post
    I have a pre but will be getting a new phone soon. I want to know if I can still use the pre just for email or rss reader over WI FI when the phone is no longer active. I know the answer is probably no but I just wondered why it would not work.
    Because the phone wont be an a active data system.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    should work on wifi. My friend switched from iphone to palm Pixi, and she uses her iphone w/o service on wifi. Now it's like an ipod touch
    however, I think that if you activated it so that it could make calls, etc and then cancelled your account (or moved it to another phone) it would continue to give you internet access over WiFi like the iPod touch does.

I was going to try that before I sent my defective phone back, but I forgot until after I had doctored it back to complete emptiness, and it wouldn't let me create a new profile or sign in to a profile I am not using on my current phone...

This is one of the things I hope Palm changes now that they have a consumer products company writing the checks. They need to build a WebOS mp3 player like the iPod Touch. It would be a good way to get WebOS in the hands of the iPod set...
    There is a way to do it, but I have never done it and I am not too clear on the details. Basically you doctor the phone with an altered WebOS doctor that loads a version of WebOS that by-passes the activation of the phone. It is something like meta-doctor.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    If you get another webos phone then youll need to use a metadr'd version of webos, Im pretty sure that if you go to any other os you should be able to keep using it as a wifi device.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

I honestly think Palm is stupid for every doing this, I spend a lot of money to buy my phone outright, and i like to switch phones all the time, I should be able to use the phone fully no if and or buts, (minus the signal). Pretty much use the thing as a PDA if I want,

This is just too much work to meta doctor stuff, My treo 680 i could just turn it on and it would just go right into airplane mode, No need to activate through a carrier, Switched to CDMA for the Pre and i can honestly say that I'm never going back, would rather spend an extra 300 bucks to get a GSM, CDMA is a dying technology and it's sad that companies still use it.

sorry for the rant.
    what i had my pre down while i waited for a new one. had another on my line and the pre worked on wifi.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thank you. I am planning to buy the EVO so hopefully I can still use the Pre in my bedroom to read at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantzak View Post
    Thank you. I am planning to buy the EVO so hopefully I can still use the Pre in my bedroom to read at night.
    You can use your Pre with wifi only. You will have access to every feature besides phone calls, text messaging, and carrier apps like Sprint TV. You can still access the App Catalog and use the Update app. However, if you need to Doctor for some reason, you'll need to use Meta Doctor.
    You can use it as a PDA. I have one that has a crack coming from the USB port going onto the screen and it works fine. But don't ever attempt to make a phone call or to use Sprint Navigation or it will reboot to the screen like it's a new phone. Then you will have to activate it to use it as a PDA. I replace the cracked phone and activated on Sprint and now i just use the other as a PDA.
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    If the Pre still works and is in good shape, you can always sell it for 250 bucks or so and buy an iPod Touch, unless you are dead set on using the Pre for your PDA.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.