1.    #1  
    I'm new to Pre Central and to my new Pre Plus Verizon. I moved up from
    a Treo 700WX to the Pre Plus and am impressed for the most part. My
    question is where do I start on this forum. I'm not a computer geek
    and when I see references to overclocking and Doctoring I'm lost. I've
    updated to 1.4.1.1 and added a few apps. I love the phone and Palm to
    the point I bought a second one for my girlfriend.Point me in the right direction. Shawn
    No biggie since you're new and all but one of the most important things to do in forums is SEARCH it helps avoid unnecessary duplicate threads

But here you go http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html
    Welcome!

First off, I will say this forum is PACKED to the gills with amazingly smart developers who have given their time and energy to enhance this already amazing phone.

To fully take advantage of of all the goodies here, and I KNOW it can be overwhelming and daunting to delve in, you need to read up/search on how to get a few essentials ON to your Pre.

The short list is, the ability to put your phone in what is called "Development Mode" , Get the latest version of Web Os Quick Install, installed on to your computer so you can add stuff to your phone, then get Preware onto your phone.

Pretty much every thing else will be available if you get those few "must haves"

As for Overclocking, that is simpy makeing the brain of your Pre (the cpu) run at a faster speed than the default. It makes everything run faster, and open smoother.

Doctoring, is using a Palm tool called Web Os Doctor. It is used to restore your operating system to its original naked version. This is one of the files needed to run the Web Os Quick Install, so once you have that downloaded, and set up, you should have the Web Os Doctor .jar file in the same folder

Search around for the above items, and you will be able to become a Pre Addict like the rest of us

Again, Welcome and ENJOY!
    Diane

Oh and feel free to ask questions , usually they are answered pretty fast
    Last edited by dianehelen; 05/01/2010 at 11:39 AM.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

4.    #4  
    There are certainly lots of amazingly smart developers on this site. Thanks
    Shawn
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Um... WebOS Quick Install does not go onto your phone. It goes onto your computer.
    Welcome!!! And yes, it seems daunting at first, but if you follow some pretty simple instructions, you too can super charge your Pre.

But even if you don't, it's still a great phone, and in my opinion, the best mobile smartphone OS out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Um... WebOS Quick Install does not go onto your phone. It goes onto your computer.
    Ooopss left out a few key words.. thanks for the heads up
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Here is a guide to using Precentral to the max:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1828424

Welcome.
    try here and look up the Tips & Tricks. Many of the article there will refer ou back to Precentral.

Explore | webOSroundup
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Welcome aboard! Check out Preware, it will add a ton of functionality to the phone.