Page 1 of 56 1234561151 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The third generation of overclocking kernels for the Palm Pre/Pre+ has now arrived!

Uber-Kernel: Govnah:

The WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel now contains unixpsycho's revolutionary new "screenstate" governor.

The design and philosophy of the "screenstate" governor is very easy to understand:

Run fast when the screen is on.
    Run slow when the screen is off.

The "screenstate" governor runs the device at your maximum selected frequency when the screen is on (you can choose any frequency you like, but 550MHz, 600MHz, 720MHz or 800MHz are really the only ones that make sense), and scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display).

In the future, when we have solved the 125MHz hang-on-resume bug in Palm's kernel, we will allow selection of lower screen-off frequencies. Note that when the CPU is idle, the clocks are stopped completely, as is the case for all kernels for the Palm Pre.

The Govnah application will automatically sense the new governor that is available, and will make it available for your selection. If you are already running the Govnah application, you do not need a new version of Govnah - it's all automatic!

To install or update the Uber-Kernel, just make sure you are running the latest version of Preware or Preware Alpha, and then update your feeds and type "uber" on the main screen to find it. You can find the companion Govnah application the same way. No need for installation manuals or cinematic videos, just click to install in Preware and you're done.

See http://bit.ly/uber-screenstate for the official PreCentral WebOS Internals sub-forum thread discussing the Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

If you are running another overclocking solution, you will need to uninstall it before being able to install the Uber-Kernel - there are safety checks to ensure that your kernel files are in a pristine state before the Uber-Kernel will install. You should use the uninstall instructions for the other overclocking solution you are using, but as a last resort you can use the Palm Kernel package in Preware to restore your kernel files to pristine state.

WebOS Internals will continue to develop next generation overclocking solutions - the new "screenstate" governor is just the beginning!

If you're not familiar with the Govnah application, some screenshots are below. You will notice that they show the internal CPU temperature sensor that can be found in the Uber-Kernel (not the thermally distant battery temperature sensor), and also some of the 6 governors (userspace, conservative, powersave, ondemand, performance, screenstate) available in the Uber-Kernel which can all be controlled by the Govnah application.

For GPL compliance purposes, the source code for this kernel can be found in the kernels/patches.git repository at git.webos-internals.org - those patches apply (as embodied in the automated build process) against the upstream Linux 2.6.24 kernel and the Palm kernel patches hosted at opensource.palm.com (and mirrored on sources.nslu2-linux.org/sources to ensure continued GPL compliance even if Palm removes their site). The build infrastructure can be found in the preware/build.git repository at git.webos-internals.org and we encourage other developers to build their own kernels to verify the transparency of our build process for security trust verification.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/06/2010 at 01:05 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    question, how is this different to the 500-800mhz scaling? Surly that is a better solution as even when the screen is on it runs "slow" until needed?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    question, how is this different to the 500-800mhz scaling? Surly that is a better solution as even when the screen is on it runs "slow" until needed?
    The transitions to the IDLE state (e.g. the CPU is doing no work, and the CPU clock actually stops) is identical for all overclocking kernels. Search Google for 'cpuidle Linux' or 'Race to Idle' for more information.

As always, if you are happy with your current overclocking solution, there is no need to change on a whim.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Men, you're fantastic! Just upgraded and i'm fascinated
    Hi,

the drop to 500MHz only works if the screen goes off automatically after some time. But it doesn't work if i push the power button, then it stays at 800.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I am going to try this out. My buddy says it does wonders for battery life because of the scale down when the screen goes off
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ce View Post
    Hi,

the drop to 500MHz only works if the screen goes off automatically after some time. But it doesn't work if i push the power button, then it stays at 800.
    Note that Govnah doesn't update the graph or icon or frequency value when the screen is off, so if you are only looking at Govnah to determine whether it was running at 500MHz or not then you may be seeing misleading information.

You can check "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq" on the command line to see the true current frequency value. If that also reports 800MHz when the screen is off, then please report it again and we'll look into the issue further. You can use novaterm or WOSQI or ssh access to get to the command line when the screen is off.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Sorry for the Newbie question. I just want to confirm that I install the Uber-Kernel then to activate the overclock features I use the Govnah app to controll the speed yes?

Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by xalasten View Post
    Sorry for the Newbie question. I just want to confirm that I install the Uber-Kernel then to activate the overclock features I use the Govnah app to controll the speed yes?
    That is correct. The Uber-Kernel complies with the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging outlined at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels, one of which is that a kernel should default to normal frequencies at boot and only exceed standard specification limits if controlled by a service, script or application.

Note that that CPU Scaler apps from Casey@l337tech can also be used to control the Uber-Kernel, and hopefully will have support for the new setscreen governor added soon (they already support the internal CPU temperature sensor).

You will then have the choice of whether to use Govnah or CPU Scaler to control your kernel. An open architecture for interoperable solutions always benefits the community and provides better choice for users.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can check "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq" on the command line to see the true current frequency value. If that also reports 800MHz when the screen is off, then please report it again and we'll look into the issue further. You can use novaterm or WOSQI or ssh access to get to the command line when the screen is off.
    Alternatively you can check the stats in CPUScalar.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick response. I love the 7 principles. makes me feel pretty good about using the kernel. I have it setup as "Setspeed -800mhz " and "Min freq 500 mhz" with Max freq - 800"

So far it seems to be running at 800 mhz while screen is on and dropping when to 500 mhz when the screen is off.

Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for all the greta work!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by xalasten View Post
    I love the 7 principles. makes me feel pretty good about using the kernel.
    Yeah, we feel pretty strongly about them too

It took us a while to get to the point where we could deploy a kernel that met all 7 principles, but I think it was worth the wait ...

-- Rod
    awesome, will try now.
    O.K. What is the difference between the Super Kernel and the Uber-Kernel? Does the Uber-Kernel replace the Super Kernel app? Am I understanding correctly that the Uber-now contains the Govnah? Does this mean I no longer need the CPU Scaler Ultimate app, which I just purchased?

Oh, and I installed the testing feeds in Preware, but now I can't find them.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 05/01/2010 at 08:51 AM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    so ok I just got the super prekarnel today,,,,but I need a scaler,,so would i have to unistall the super pre kernaltoo?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    O.K. What is the difference between the Super Kernel and the Uber-Kernel?
    The Uber-Kernel is a third generation overclocking kernel for the Palm Pre/Pre+.

The first generation kernel (which was built by unixpsycho and hasn't changed since early March) is embedded in the shell scripts and ipkg files and SuperPreKernel application (both first and second versions of it).

The second generation kernel was built by WebOS Internals (with assistance from unixpsycho) using an open and transparent source code repository and an open and transparent build infrastructure, was the first kernel to comply with the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging listed at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels, and included new features like enabling the standard Linux powersave, conservative, and performance governors, and enabling access to the internal CPU temperature sensor.

This is the first release of a third generation kernel, where we start adding completely new kernel code (the 'screenstate' governor, written completely from scratch by unixpsycho) which is truly Palm Pre specific and which moulds the functionality of the kernel to the usage patterns and desires of the webOS homebrew community.

Does the Uber-Kernel replace the Super Kernel app?
    The Uber-Kernel functionality is a true super-set of the first-generation kernel which is embedded in the Super Pre Kernel app.

Of course, if you are happy with your current overclocking solution, there is no need to change on a whim.

Am I understanding correctly that the Uber-now contains the Govnah?
    The Uber-Kernel is the underlying kernel which controls the CPU. It gets instructions from a service or application which sets the CPU scaling parameters. Govnah and CPU Scaler are both examples of such services and applications. Govnah has both the service and application in a single package, whereas CPU Scaler uses one package for the service and one package for the application.

We hope that CPU Scaler will be updated soon to support the new screenstate governor - it already supports the internal CPU temperature sensor.

We believe in an open and level playing field for homebrew applications, and welcome many different services and applications from many different developers to control the Uber-Kernel. All of the source code and patches and build instructions are completely open and public and available for use by any other group.

Does this mean I no longer need the CPU Scaler Ultimate app, which I just purchased?
    On the contrary, there are functions that CPU Scaler Ultimate performs which Govnah does not yet perform, and vice versa. Your investment in CPU Scaler is not lost - we hope Casey@l337tech will continue to track the new features added to the Uber-Kernel, so that users can continue to have choice in which CPU scaling parameter application they wish to use.

And, just to make sure I follow... all I have to do is install the Testing Feeds to get to these apps?
    That is correct. Make sure you uninstall any other overclocking kernel and kernel installation application first, but feel free to keep CPU Scaler installed so that it can work with your new improved kernel.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/01/2010 at 09:03 AM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Speed View Post
    so ok I just got the super prekarnel today,,,,but I need a scaler,,so would i have to unistall the super pre kernaltoo?
    You need to uninstall the first generation kernel using the SuperPreKernel application, and then uninstall the SuperPreKernel application, if you wish to use the Uber-Kernel. A device can only have one kernel on it at any time.

As always, if you are completely happy with your existing overclocking solution, there is no need to change on a whim.

-- Rod
    Thanks for clarifying. Two last questions...

How do I get Uber-kernel and how do I get Govnah (if I understood correctly that it is an independent app)?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    "Note that when the CPU is idle, the clocks are stopped completely, as is the case for all kernels for the Palm Pre" what this means?The clock for the time or?And is it working for all phones,because I've read that some pres have problem with putting the CPU on 200-300 mhz or something like that.Is 500mhz the lowest frequency?The battery draining on 800 Mhz is the same like 500mhz or is almost the same.Sorry for the bad english and thanks for the great developement.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. Two last questions...

How do I get Uber-kernel and how do I get Govnah (if I understood correctly that it is an independent app)?
    Check the instructions in the first post for adding the WebOS Internals testing feed.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 56 1234561151 ... LastLast