Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Ok, so, what are the implications of running this version over a 1.4.0 webOS Pre? (don't say that I'll frakk my Pre, I need to know the differences between the 1.4.0 and 1.4.1.x kernels so I can decide if I'll install the 1.4.1 over my webOS version or not)

Please?

And, also, don't say that I "can't" install it, I know how to, I just need to know the implications, since I haven't read anywhere anything about this

thanks!!!

I just love unixpsycho's "screenstate governor", and I want also to use govnah to check the temp, but the latest unixpsycho's kernel doesn't have the cpu temp code

Nevermind, running it now, I hope nothing bad happens.... I just love govnah, with the temp reading, and screenstate governor
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 05/02/2010 at 01:50 AM.
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Ok, so, what are the implications of running this version over a 1.4.0 webOS Pre? (don't say that I'll frakk my Pre, I need to know the differences between the 1.4.0 and 1.4.1.x kernels so I can decide if I'll install the 1.4.1 over my webOS version or not)

Please?

And, also, don't say that I "can't" install it, I know how to, I just need to know the implications, since I haven't read anywhere anything about this

thanks!!!

I just love unixpsycho's lcd "governor", and I want also to use govnah to check the temp, but the latest unixpsycho's kernel doesn't have the cpu temp code
    I'd say you'll be the first to try it, so let us know how it goes

Worst case scenario would be a trip to the webOS Doctor.

I'd say it's likely to boot, with minor weird stuff (like the verizon double type keyboard fix).

-- Rod
    As a work-around for the "non-sticking" Govnah issue, what are the downfalls I might expect from installing a .sh script to force start at 800 max (and 500 min)?

Or should I just try to exercise a little patience and wait for the aforementioned update?

Also, THANKS for ALL of your hard work & long hours on this amazing effort!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'd say you'll be the first to try it, so let us know how it goes

Worst case scenario would be a trip to the webOS Doctor.

I'd say it's likely to boot, with minor weird stuff (like the verizon double type keyboard fix).

-- Rod
    Hahahaha... I thought someone had already done it!!

Anyway, I got the files, backed up the originals, installed the new ones, rebooted and voilá, Uberkernel on 1.4.0 webOS (******n Telcel). I'll report, but so far the first 10 minutes running fine!!
  5.    #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwon View Post
    As a work-around for the "non-sticking" Govnah issue, what are the downfalls I might expect from installing a .sh script to force start at 800 max (and 500 min)?
    Should be no problem at all. Just make sure you use settings that are stable on your device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Does Govnah automatically start kinda like how Brightness unlinked has a patch for that? I seem to have to manually start Govnah after each luna reset.

And oddly enough, at times when I have the screen off for a few minutes, when I turn the screen back on it doesnt jump back to the preset 800mhz. Instead I find the frequency at 500mhz, this happens when I take the phone off of the touchstone.

Sorry if this was already answered.
    Last edited by h3artl3ss; 05/02/2010 at 03:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that this scenario is *exactly* the reason why Govnah does not save settings at this stage of it's development.

The flexibility that Govnah allows can put the device into undesired (but still safe) states.
    Question....as a "compromise" for those wanting the Govnah settings to stick on reboot, would it be practical to set up a feature during the boot process where it prompts you to keep saved settings or load the stock settings in case there was a problem?

You could make it configurable so that the boot process requires you to make a choice:

1) Continue to boot with saved Govnah settings
    2) Continue to boot with stock settings
    3) If no input from user, continue to boot to [insert choice] after 5 (or x) seconds

Other options could be added.

The reasoning behind this is to allow people to keep their saved Govnah settings on reboot if they wish, or allowing them to boot to stock (or "safe") mode in case there is a problem.
    I notice I would have to keep setting back the frequency to 800mhz after a lunar or reset... yes, I did read why they set it like that. Still think if we made the decision to use this kernel,then allow us that choice to remove it our self. It's annoying keep setting it all the time after lunar/reset. Do number1pete scaling app/patch work with this kernel,that would be nice,to have it stick on reboot... I didn't check the forum to see if it does or not. I'm just asking.

I do appreciate the kernels/mods for the palm pre/plus phones. For me I use both-SPK and UBER-both seem to do the same job,just different method on how to do it. Both work fine for me.

Shout out goes to all the guys that made these kernels/mode/patches/apps,and the whole entire forum.
    I don't know if it's the use of the 1.4.1.1 kernel, but I can tell you that for me, Uber-Kernel is noticeably faster than the superpre kernel. I am using the screen on- screen off setting.
    Hi
    I am running with screenstate mode and I noticed when I put my Pre on the TS that instead of the normal clock screen i just see my background with the slide-lock icon. Is that supposed to happen?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Hi
    I am running with screenstate mode and I noticed when I put my Pre on the TS that instead of the normal clock screen i just see my background with the slide-lock icon. Is that supposed to happen?

Thanks
    That happened to me when first installed, but I rebooted and it went away for good.
    JB
    Govnah w/ screenstate reporting 500 as I type this, with screen (obviously) on. ???

UPDATE: This a.m. I installed the Reduce Minimum Brightness patch . . .
    Last edited by grappler; 05/02/2010 at 09:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I installed the Uber-Kernel and Govnah and things look pretty stable and battery life seems to have improved. This has only been for about 12 hours or so. Looks good though so far.

A question that I have is if anyone sees a lag in the launcher screen at all. I have 4 pages and when swiping from screen to screen, I get a slight lag. It wasn't like that with the Super Pre-Kernel. I haven't checked the speed during the launcher state, but it feels like its running at the stock 500mhz when I'm on the launcher pages. Anyone else see this?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb2618 View Post
    That happened to me when first installed, but I rebooted and it went away for good.
    JB
    A reboot fixed this but whenever I take my phone off the touchstone I have to go back into the governah and click on screenstate(and save) to boost it back up to 800 otherwise its just sitting at 500 post Touchstone.

Edit: I dont have any brightness patches installed either.
    ok,so Ive had this up and running for 12 hours now, and my battery drain is as follows.

idle: 7-8% DPH
    12Hours of general use (browser, messaging, phone and battery monitor: 9-12% DPH

how does this compare?
    I hate to say it, but, this is exactly why I won't use UberKernel and why I'll continue to use UnixPsycho's kernel(s). His Just Work(tm) with no fiddling around having to redo settings at every turn.

I 100% respect the decision to stick to the ideas and ideals of making UberKernel *not* do stuff automatically, but in the end, this thing is a PHONE. It should boot and Just Work(tm).

My Linux computers (Gentoo!) sure, fiddle, script, hack, kernel boot params, whatever. Not my phone. I want my phone to boot, be fast, conserve as much power as possible, and Just Work because for 95% of my day, this is the only way people have to get in contact with me should something happen to my Son. UnixPsycho's kernels satisfy those needs Out-Of-The-Box.

This is just my personal opinion, of course, and in no way meant to put down the efforts of all involved with this (or any other) project.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 05/02/2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typos
    FYI: Do not set the screen brightness to 0 or anywhere near the lowest setting.

Weird things will happen; like CPU speed sticking to 500 while LCD is on, or CPU speed inverting.

This is all due to the Touchstone charging method and how it sets the phone.

I hope to have a fix/workaround soon.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I hate to say it, but, this is exactly why I won't use UberKernel and why I'll continue to use UnixPsycho's kernel(s). His Just Work(tm) with no fiddling around having to redo settings at every turn.
    I went with SPK720 up until yesterday. SPK worked great, and I am usually of the mind that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    However, I did go ahead and switch to Uberkernel / Govnah yesterday and can say that I put it on screenstate 500min/720max and that's all there is to it.
    And performance compared to the SPK720 is ......exactly the same.

I almost forgot my whole reason that I was going to comment...
    Uberkernel/Govnah isn't even finished yet. It's still in testing. Not even officially released on normal Preware feed...
    I'm sure once ready, they will have a "set it and forget it" button.
    Last edited by jkb2618; 05/02/2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Additional Comment
    I just have a couple questions

1. I installed this kernal with the govnah and noticed my lock screen doesn't work anymore. Now it just shows the yellow padlock icon but no clock or anything else

2. When coming back from screen off govnah shows my cpu is at 500mhz but no matter how many apps i open or what i do it never goes back up to 800mhz even though i have it set to.

3. Does govnah have to be on the entire time or can i set it and then close the card?

Thanks for all your hard work!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    FYI: Do not set the screen brightness to 0 or anywhere near the lowest setting.

Weird things will happen; like CPU speed sticking to 500 while LCD is on, or CPU speed inverting.

This is all due to the Touchstone charging method and how it sets the phone.

I hope to have a fix/workaround soon.
    Then what's the lowest screen brightness we can set at without any weird things happening?
Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast