Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Holy crap, I opened the Govnah App and accidently set the scale down to 125mhz and now my phone is all sluggish, like almost unusable. Every time I open Govnah to try and change back, it just loads and loads, the card flashes and does nothing for 20 minutes so far.

*** do I do now?
    I would try to reboot the phone.. the settings do not stick so it should remove any changes you made
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD004 View Post
    I've been searching, but can't find the answer..

What does the "Uber-Kernal" app do? I understand what the kernal does and how "Govnah" works, but I just don't understand why I have an icon for the Uber-Kernal itself. When I run it, the card just hangs seeming to load forever until I flick it away. Am I missing something?

Oh, and by the way, THANK YOU for all of this development..
    Many posts regarding this question in this thread...

The icon is a 'place holder' to show the kernel is installed. Running it will not do anything. All control for the uber kernel is done through the 'govnah' app.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Many posts regarding this question in this thread...

The icon is a 'place holder' to show the kernel is installed. Running it will not do anything. All control for the uber kernel is done through the 'govnah' app.
    Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I would try to reboot the phone.. the settings do not stick so it should remove any changes you made
    That didn't help.

It won't even open the app.....

Edit: Uninstalled Govnah through QuickInstall, did a reboot that took nearly 8 minutes and now phone is back to normal. Holy, what a hiccup.
  5.    #145  
    Holy crap, I opened the Govnah App and accidently set the scale down to 125mhz and now my phone is all sluggish, like almost unusable. Every time I open Govnah to try and change back, it just loads and loads, the card flashes and does nothing for 20 minutes so far.

*** do I do now?
    That didn't help.

It won't even open the app.....

Edit: Uninstalled Govnah through QuickInstall, did a reboot that took nearly 8 minutes and now phone is back to normal. Holy, what a hiccup.
    You didn't need to uninstall Govnah. Just a simple Orange+Sym+R complete phone reboot would have done the trick.

Note that this scenario is *exactly* the reason why Govnah does not save settings at this stage of it's development.

The flexibility that Govnah allows can put the device into undesired (but still safe) states.

We're working on adding support for profiles so that we can have some recommended settings in predefined profiles and you can also define your own profiles. We're also in communication with the author of the Mode Switcher application so that we can support that application switching between Govnah profiles.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    No post, but useful info, simplistically put:

Ondemand is great for laptops, not so great for palmtops; keeps waking up the processor to check if the frequency needs changing.

Conservative: locks the frequency as low as possible.

Performance: locks the frequency as high as possible.

I would be inclined to use performance as it results in fewer cpu wakeups.

Ultimately check Linux Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt for authoritative details.

Cheers, Steve
    Hi Steve

I'm not sure if my experience is unique or not. I've been running my phone using 'ondemand' set at 250 min, 800 max, 60% up threshold, and 10 powersave bias. When the phone is not being used it is staying down at 250. I'm not seeing any indication that the cpu is 'waking up' occasionally. (Is it possible that this 'wake up' cycle is very minimal?)

So far this setting has been giving me excellent battery life, upwards of 16 hours of moderate use. (moderate means around 2 hours total talk time, and a fair amount of web use, Basecamp updating, Stock updating....etc.) Before I moved into the Uber-Kernel my phone would be either dead or very close by the 11th hour.
  7.    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Hi Steve

I'm not sure if my experience is unique or not. I've been running my phone using 'ondemand' set at 250 min, 800 max, 60% up threshold, and 10 powersave bias. When the phone is not being used it is staying down at 250. I'm not seeing any indication that the cpu is 'waking up' occasionally. (Is it possible that this 'wake up' cycle is very minimal?)

So far this setting has been giving me excellent battery life, upwards of 16 hours of moderate use. (moderate means around 2 hours total talk time, and a fair amount of web use, Basecamp updating, Stock updating....etc.) Before I moved into the Uber-Kernel my phone would be either dead or very close by the 11th hour.
    Thanks for your experience report - we provide maximum flexibility so that everyone can find the settings that are "just right" for their particular device and usage patterns.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    is anyone still using the 800mhz ipk ? I am it seems to work great for me.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    I was useing the 800 SPK. But i wanna try this for a few days. I dont liek the fact that the settings dont stick caz i usually reboot my phone once a day.
    yeah I think I'll keep it for a bit .
    rod. Thanks for the reply. Do you believe the screenstate governor is the best setting for battery life, performance, etc? What settings do you use? Thanks so much!
  12.    #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    is anyone still using the 800mhz ipk ? I am it seems to work great for me.
    Yeah, if you're happy with your existing overclocking solution, there's no need to change on a whim.

Just note that Palm changed the kernel keyboard driver between webOS 1.4.0 (which is the version of the kernel in SuperPreKernel and all previous overclocking scripts and packages) and webOS 1.4.1 (which is the version in Uber-Kernel). So if you're having keyboard problems on Verizon, you might want to move to a solution that uses the correct webOS kernel version for your device.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've noticed that the screenstate governor's behavior on the Touchstone isn't ideal. I don't know if it's programmed to switch to its higher state only on a system wake-up. If it's sitting on the Touchstone and the screen turns off (clock mode), the processor is clocked down accordingly, but if it is unlocked with either the power button or the drag-to-unlock, slide, etc., while still on the Touchstone, it doesn't put the processor back to the fast state. Taking it off of the Touchstone, turning the display off, then back on will set it back to the fast speed.
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    rod. Thanks for the reply. Do you believe the screenstate governor is the best setting for battery life, performance, etc? What settings do you use? Thanks so much!
    I use the screenstate governor, for the reason that I don't want to have to worry about temperature or device lifetime when I'm not looking at the screen (so the screen timeout will handle that automatically for me), and I want the device to be as fast as possible when I'm actively using it. I'm indebted to Marco for coming up with such a simple ideathat meets my needs so perfectly, and then doing the hard yards to implement it as a configurable governor in the kernel so it can be compliant with the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging (http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels).

But we provide maximum flexibility in Govnah because each device will function slightly differently when operated outside the guaranteed specification limits, and each person has different usage patterns. There is no one-size-fits-all solution.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I've noticed that the screenstate governor's behavior on the Touchstone isn't ideal. I don't know if it's programmed to switch to its higher state only on a system wake-up. If it's sitting on the Touchstone and the screen turns off (clock mode), the processor is clocked down accordingly, but if it is unlocked with either the power button or the drag-to-unlock, slide, etc., while still on the Touchstone, it doesn't put the processor back to the fast state. Taking it off of the Touchstone, turning the display off, then back on will set it back to the fast speed.
    Earlier in this thread I said:
    "Using screenstate with min 500 and max 720.
    When I use the power off button or if the screen goes out on it's own, upon powering back up, govnah reports that it is running at 720 as it should.
    When I put it on the touchstone with same 500/720 settings, it always powers back up reporting that I am at 500. The 500 stays until I go back in and save settings again even though it shows still that my settings are 500min/720max. "

I am also able to have is set back to fast speed by turning the display off, then back on.
    But without doing that, it stays at the lower speed after you take it off the Touchstone...
    ok so i install it sooo now what, i did the screenslate 500off 800on so what other the setting i need to do to get the most out of this program? which is very nice,,,,cuz im getting like some weird stuff, like some stutter here and there
    okay I'm new to this uber app. I just uninstalled SPK to see how this works. I got uber off custom feeds however, uber wil not open it will just keep loading. Did I skip a step? Or do something wrong? I also installed govnah and that opens fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You didn't need to uninstall Govnah. Just a simple Orange+Sym+R complete phone reboot would have done the trick.

-- Rod
    I did reboot and the phone was still super sluggish.
    It's ok though, reinstalled the uber-kernal and govnah from the testing feeds, all is super duper here now.

Brilliant stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstachnik View Post
    okay I'm new to this uber app. I just uninstalled SPK to see how this works. I got uber off custom feeds however, uber wil not open it will just keep loading. Did I skip a step? Or do something wrong? I also installed govnah and that opens fine.
    The Uber app wont do anything. Its a placeholder.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstachnik View Post
    There's nothing to load. The icon is just there as a placeholder to allow for easy uninstallation, if I'm not mistaken. It won't ever open anything.
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast