Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    I'm currently running with 1.4.1-9 set to ondemand, beyond a reboot problem with PreWare Alpha the kernel has been very stable. Does the latest generation of the Uber-Kernel, 1.4.1-13, have any other code changes beyond the screenstate coding?

Is there someplace where development work on this kernel is noted, changelogs, etc....

(great work on this kernel development!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1ely View Post
    Hi unixpsycho,

thanks to your "rumors" i could sort it out: Both the "reduce minimum brightness" patch and Brightness Unlinked independant of each other can cause troubles when you dial down the lcd brightness too much. The governor scales down when /sys/class/display/lcd0.brightness reaches 1 or below (which is 0). With both the patch or BU you can reach "1" with the display still being active. Deinstalling the patch puts the lower limit at 6, which is fine. BU also runs fine when you keep the brightness just above the "1". I am at a "3" now, and frequency scaling works fine. Obviously UberKernel only looks at the brightness of the screen, not the state. And it takes 1 at the magical threshold instead of 0. I do not know why. compcache-Kernel worked fine with brightness dialed down to the minimum of 1.

So again: Dialing the brightness too low (whether by the virtue of the "reduce minimum brightness" patch or Brightness Unlinked) inverts the behaviour of the screenstate governor.

Perhaps you can improve UberKernel in the next release. Is there a reason for selecting 1 instead of 0 as the threshold?

Thanks again,

Stefan
    Because Touchstone charging uses 1 for the screen brightness and doesnt turn the LCD off.

This Touchstone problem is gonna be the death of me... or user's can just not set the LCD so low.
    Live free or DIE!
    can i run the uberkernal with cpu scaler ultimate? would i be missing a lot? i like having the settings stick?
    thanks
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Because Touchstone charging uses 1 for the screen brightness and doesnt turn the LCD off.

This Touchstone problem is gonna be the death of me... or user's can just not set the LCD so low.
    OK, thanks for explaining. I am using Brightness Unlinked to shut down my screen at all on the TS (does not need the time display), so i did not notice TS puts the brightness to "1".

So the problems seems to be unavoidable by now. Perhaps you can document it somewhere so less people will stumble upon it in the future.

Stefan

P.S.: And by the way - thanks for your great work, be it here or with the compcache-Kernel!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post

The TS is the only thing I haven't tested on my Pre with the new screenstate setting and like I mentioned earlier, I keep my LCD on the lowest setting.. I guess I'll have to bump it up a little to avoid this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    The TS is the only thing I haven't tested on my Pre with the new screenstate setting and like I mentioned earlier, I keep my LCD on the lowest setting.. I guess I'll have to bump it up a little to avoid this issue?
    Yes, that helped in my case. I have set my BU display setting to "5", which translates to 3 in /sys/class/devices/lcd.0/brightness.

Stefan
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    I'm currently running with 1.4.1-9 set to ondemand, beyond a reboot problem with PreWare Alpha the kernel has been very stable. Does the latest generation of the Uber-Kernel, 1.4.1-13, have any other code changes beyond the screenstate coding?

Is there someplace where development work on this kernel is noted, changelogs, etc....

(great work on this kernel development!!)
    All development is open and transparent on git.webos-internals.org - see the bottom of the first post for specific repository details and join us in the #webos-internals IRC channel to get involved.

-- Rod
    Very slick setup. Easy to install. Easy to run. Great job, Rod!
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by toddfoutz View Post
    Very slick setup. Easy to install. Easy to run. Great job, Rod!
    The key new kernel governor is all Marco's work - he's the catalyst for this release.

-- Rod
    ok so i install it sooo now what, i did the screenslate 500off 800on so what other the setting i need to do to get the most out of this program? which is very nice
    If this is posted somewhere, could someone kindly point me to the location, but can someone please give an explanation of all six of the different governors listed in Govnah? I'm curious because most any type of scaling down to 250mhz or 125mhz instantly freezes my Pre, forcing a battery pull. If I reboot my Pre, open Govnah and try to choose the Ondemand governor, for example, it's an instant freeze before I can do anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    If this is posted somewhere, could someone kindly point me to the location, but can someone please give an explanation of all six of the different governors listed in Govnah? I'm curious because most any type of scaling down to 250mhz or 125mhz instantly freezes my Pre, forcing a battery pull. If I reboot my Pre, open Govnah and try to choose the Ondemand governor, for example, it's an instant freeze before I can do anything else.
    No post, but useful info, simplistically put:

Ondemand is great for laptops, not so great for palmtops; keeps waking up the processor to check if the frequency needs changing.

Conservative: locks the frequency as low as possible.

Performance: locks the frequency as high as possible.

I would be inclined to use performance as it results in fewer cpu wakeups.

Ultimately check Linux Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt for authoritative details.

Cheers, Steve
    Sorry if this is a redundant question. Do I need to keep CPU Scaler Uber app with the Uber Kernel and Govnah?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    No post, but useful info, simplistically put:

Ondemand is great for laptops, not so great for palmtops; keeps waking up the processor to check if the frequency needs changing.

Conservative: locks the frequency as low as possible.

Performance: locks the frequency as high as possible.

I would be inclined to use performance as it results in fewer cpu wakeups.

Ultimately check [url= Kernel Documentation :: cpu-freq : governors.txt[/url] for authoritative details.

Cheers, Steve
    Thank you very much! (I'm on the mobile site.)
    Will there be work started on integrating SmartReflex into the kernels? For me, it helps the most with battery life.
    uNiXpSyChO,

I love your kernels. I'll be using yours mostly because they Just Work(tm). I don't need to fiddle around with some app, or pay for some script to get the benefits of your work. All I have to do is install it!

That said, I have two question/requests:

1. Is it possible to get your kernel(s) put in the webos-kernels feed for even easier install?
    2. If not, is there some way of "tagging" your ipk so it's not showing up as "unknown" in Preware? Yes, I have Preware Alpha scanning unknown packages already and it's still shows as unknown.

Anyway, that's all. Just wanted to say THANK YOU!

M.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I am going to break from being a Lurker here for just a moment. I recently switched to the Pre after seeing a video online of how fast the UI of this phone was with the overclock patch. I've been plagued with battery issues since I first installed the overclock, but I've stuck with it because I enjoyed the speed.

As far as I can tell, this scaling has pretty much resolved the battery issues.

Thanks for your work. This made the phone for me.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    can i run the uberkernal with cpu scaler ultimate? would i be missing a lot? i like having the settings stick?
    thanks
    Until CPU Scaler is updated to support the screenstate governor, it will not be able to make that setting stick. If you wish to use the ondemand settings in CPU Scaler, they will work the same with all kernels.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I've been searching, but can't find the answer..

What does the "Uber-Kernal" app do? I understand what the kernal does and how "Govnah" works, but I just don't understand why I have an icon for the Uber-Kernal itself. When I run it, the card just hangs seeming to load forever until I flick it away. Am I missing something?

Oh, and by the way, THANK YOU for all of this development..
    Holy crap, I opened the Govnah App and accidently set the scale down to 125mhz and now my phone is all sluggish, like almost unusable. Every time I open Govnah to try and change back, it just loads and loads, the card flashes and does nothing for 20 minutes so far.

*** do I do now?
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast