Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniecv View Post
    I install the previous version of super prekernel and ever since my phone is shutting down by it's self. I uninstalled super prekernel and it is still doing it. Does anyone have any idea what is up? Thanks for any help.
    Lon
    Hi Lon, thanks for your post.

The team developing the Uber-Kernel (WebOS Internals) is not associated with the development of the Super PreKernel, so you may get a better answer to your question in the Super PreKernel threads.

Good luck,
    -- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Rumor is some patch is getting in the way or if you have the brightness on the LCD set way too low.

I cant reproduce it so I have no idea yet.
    Let me chime in to maybe help troubleshoot this.. my LCD screen is set to the lowest setting, and I am not having any issues with the correct speed running when it should.. I also have the following patches installed..

-Battery Icon and Percent
    -Call Duration in Call Log
    -Custom Carrier String
    -Device Temp Warnings
    -Fahrenheit temp with battery in Device
    -Glass effect
    -Improved Photo Naming Pre
    -Roam only in Device Menu
    -Timestamps Builtin

--edit--
    I forgot one..
    Match State to Area Code
    Last edited by fastamx79; 05/01/2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: forgot a patch I have installed
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I installed it correctly and everything went fine, however when I try to open the Uber Kernal app it just hangs on the loading screen. You know, app icon blinking forever, any help?
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Let me chime in to maybe help troubleshoot this.. my LCD screen is set to the lowest setting, and I am not having any issues with the correct speed running when it should.. I also have the following patches installed..

-Battery Icon and Percent
    -Call Duration in Call Log
    -Custom Carrier String
    -Device Temp Warnings
    -Fahrenheit temp with battery in Device
    -Glass effect
    -Improved Photo Naming Pre
    -Roam only in Device Menu
    -Timestamps Builtin
    How are you accessing the speed values when LCD is off or on?
    Live free or DIE!
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by j59337 View Post
    Between Uber-Kernal and the latest SPK, is there one that's better for the Verizon phone after updating to 1.4.1.1?
    If you just want some sort of overclocking, you can take your choice amongst a number of solutions.

If you want a solution that complies with the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging at http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels or includes the internal CPU temperature sensor or the new screenstate governor which is the subject of this thread, then you'll need to instal the Uber-Kernel until the other solutions also incorporate those open source kernel patches.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegsta View Post
    I installed it correctly and everything went fine, however when I try to open the Uber Kernal app it just hangs on the loading screen. You know, app icon blinking forever, any help?
    the UberKernel app does nothing... you want to run Govnah.
    Live free or DIE!
    How are you accessing the speed values when LCD is off or on?
    Pre is plugged into my Mac running WOSQI running the following command

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    Quick question... which settings would you recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Pre is plugged into my Mac running WOSQI running the following command

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    ok, just making sure.
    Live free or DIE!
    ok, just making sure.
    No problem dude!!
    loving this govhna patch/mod/kernel. Still waiting on a answer unixpsycho.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Thanks man.
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Two questions: Is there a disadvantage to sticking with Performance? I have mine set at 800/250. Can you explain how scaling works? I would think that I'd get better battery life if my cpu scaled when it was on and would hope that it would scale down when it was sleeping as well.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    There is no right or wrong setting.

If you want.. just put it on the 'screenstate' and let it roll.

If you want to get down and dirty see this thread... (many users including myself were/are reporting what settings we are using

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html

To learn more about what each setting does read this...

Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals
    which settings are you asking about? not many settings for this governor.
    Live free or DIE!
    This is great! Thanks a lot for making this.

May I have a suggestion though: it would be awesome to have a patch so that you can specify how fast the processor runs during and not during games.

Personally, I am fine with 600mhz for normal apps, but would love for the CPU to overclock to 800mhz only when I am playing a game.

If that feature can be done, I would really appreciate it.
    which settings are you asking about? not many settings for this governor.
    screenstate.conservative.performance and such delight... I'll keep working with conservative for now. Someone just send me some info on the topic. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Two questions: Is there a disadvantage to sticking with Performance? I have mine set at 800/250. Can you explain how scaling works? I would think that I'd get better battery life if my cpu scaled when it was on and would hope that it would scale down when it was sleeping as well.
    urr? performance governor ignores all settings. you are running full speed all the time. and to be blunt is probably the best governor to run in terms of battery life. a lot less code and sampling for minor gain.

battery life is saved by not having an abundance of code running causing ticks of the clock... along with hardware voltage scaling. there was a reasoning behind a "tickless" kernel.

this governor and scaling method is the best of both worlds. but if you use your phone alot its gonna burn battery.
    Live free or DIE!
    Hi unixpsycho,

thanks to your "rumors" i could sort it out: Both the "reduce minimum brightness" patch and Brightness Unlinked independant of each other can cause troubles when you dial down the lcd brightness too much. The governor scales down when /sys/class/display/lcd0.brightness reaches 1 or below (which is 0). With both the patch or BU you can reach "1" with the display still being active. Deinstalling the patch puts the lower limit at 6, which is fine. BU also runs fine when you keep the brightness just above the "1". I am at a "3" now, and frequency scaling works fine. Obviously UberKernel only looks at the brightness of the screen, not the state. And it takes 1 at the magical threshold instead of 0. I do not know why. compcache-Kernel worked fine with brightness dialed down to the minimum of 1.

So again: Dialing the brightness too low (whether by the virtue of the "reduce minimum brightness" patch or Brightness Unlinked) inverts the behaviour of the screenstate governor.

Perhaps you can improve UberKernel in the next release. Is there a reason for selecting 1 instead of 0 as the threshold?

Thanks again,

Stefan
    screenstate.conservative.performance and such delight... I'll keep working with conservative for now. Someone just send me some info on the topic. Thanks.
    I've had the best luck with conservative. I've had a few crashes here and there with performance (phone goes into 125mhz and that crashes my pre but YMMV)

For me, conservative with the following was great (but now having the screenstate setting I am only using that)

conservative
    min 500mhz
    max 800mhz
    sample 1000000 (stock setting)
    sampling down setting 1
    up threshold 65%
    down threshold 20%
    ignore nice load false
    freq step i'll go between 15% and 20%