Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4444950515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1118
  1.    #1061  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    Any word yet on overclocking the Pre 2 / webOS 2.0?

Oh, I guess I should wait until it comes out before asking that?

Never mind . . .
    Yeah, it's a bit hard to overclock something when you have neither the device, the OS, or the kernel source code.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I have a quick/noob question.
    My phone cant handle the 1.2GHz sadly, but i CAN handle the 104A 1.1 GHz... However that causes its battery to drain really fast.

What voltage settings should I try to not lose battery at 11% an hour? currently i have Uberkernel and its a very nice 2.3% per hour.

I intend to the 500Mhz-1.1Ghz screenstate setting
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    I have a quick/noob question.
    My phone cant handle the 1.2GHz sadly, but i CAN handle the 104A 1.1 GHz... However that causes its battery to drain really fast.

What voltage settings should I try to not lose battery at 11% an hour? currently i have Uberkernel and its a very nice 2.3% per hour.

I intend to the 500Mhz-1.1Ghz screenstate setting
    You should direct your question to the F104 or F105/SR71 threads for voltage questions. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2585459
    Live free or DIE!
    I made an account just to say that this kind of work is amazing. I don't understand a lot of this topic, but what I do know is that my pre is better and faster with this kernel and govnah.

Keep the good work and thanks !
    For some reasone every time I try to use screenstate to underclock my pre to 250 mhz when the screen's off, it freezes up and I have to remove the battery. Anyone know a way to underclock without it freezing so I can save battery life? It always use to work, but doesn't on this refurbished pre.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derecuda View Post
    For some reasone every time I try to use screenstate to underclock my pre to 250 mhz when the screen's off, it freezes up and I have to remove the battery. Anyone know a way to underclock without it freezing so I can save battery life? It always use to work, but doesn't on this refurbished pre.
    Chips from different batches will have different properties and capabilities due to variances in manufacturing, so some batches can run certain speeds with lower voltages than others. In newer versions of Govnah you can manually adjust the voltages for each speed step so you could try increasing the voltage for the 250mhz step.

To get to these options, click on the profile name, then choose the "advanced settings" option, select "cpu frequency", then scroll down to the "override parameters" section and click on the "core voltages" box. In my version of Govnah the voltage set for 250mhz is 1050 mV and 500mhz is set for 1200 mV. I wouldn't exceed 1200 mV when upping the voltage for the 250mhz setting, because if it doesn't work at stock voltage there is something else at play.

I remember there was once an issue with throttling the processor clock too low, so altering the voltage may not be the answer, but it makes sense from my experience with desktop processors. It can't hurt to try as long as you don't raise it past the stock voltage, so give it a whirl.

Anyone with more knowledge on the subject, feel free to correct me.
    Thank you, it seems to not be freezing anymore. It would only alow me to up it to 1075 mV but it's been working fine so far. I hadn't tried in a week or so, but it would freeze when I turned the screen off. I didn't know if it was because of the phone or from an update I missed when I was pre-less. I guess it is possible I experienced a few flukes, but i'll stay with what works and not test the theory. Thanks again
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    DO NOT UNDERCLOCK YOUR PRE!

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's been talked about a lot on these forums. Google the term "race to idle" and you will find out why.

I run my Pre at 800/1000 and it's better than ever! My phone is consistently at 18 degrees (or lower) when idle. Before, when I was running 500/1000, it would be somewhere around 26-28 when idle.

Not to mention battery life has been GREAT!
  9.    #1069  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    DO NOT UNDERCLOCK YOUR PRE!
    This is not a correct statement without qualification. You cannot make a blanket statement like that.

There are circumstances where underclocking a Pre has benefits. For example, when streaming music with the screen off, you will have better battery life if underclocked compared to running at 1GHz, since the device will not go into true idle mode while it is streaming music. Race to Idle is only true when the device usage patterns will actually have idle periods (which is true most of the time for most people, but not for all situations).

Please correct your post so that you do not unintentionally mislead readers.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The difference between stock and 1GHz/500Mhz screenstate on my Pre Plus is absolutely amazing. Thanks to the devs for the hard work, I will surely be donating once I am out of the red with my new company.
    I've successfully installed UberKernel and Govnah. Both are working I've set the Palm Pre for 800/500 Mhz screenstate. So far so good.

What I'm wondering (and didn't see covered in the first 125 posts) is what is considered a safe temperature? Should the Palm Pre be hovering around 32-35 degrees? At what temperature would I expect it to drop down to 500 mhz?
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i have this "new generation" uberkernel installed on my pre- (upgraded to webos2.1).
    i set the governor to screenstate 500/800 and it worked well for two days.
    then i had to notice, that my pre shutted off, and i had to reboot.
    the same behaviour was to be seen on my pre in former times with webos 1.4.5.
    this lead then to removing uberkernel as i had this randomly shutoffs every 1 or 2 days. after removing uberkernel there were no ramdomly shutoffs for nearly 3 months.
    now - after upgrading to webos2.1. and installing "new generation" uberkernel - i see this happening again.
    maybe my pre is incompatible, maybe there are some settings to change, that my pre doesn't shut off again. but i don't know, which settings to change best.
    maybe undervolting?
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    i have this "new generation" uberkernel installed on my pre- (upgraded to webos2.1).
    i set the governor to screenstate 500/800 and it worked well for two days.
    then i had to notice, that my pre shutted off, and i had to reboot.
    the same behaviour was to be seen on my pre in former times with webos 1.4.5.
    this lead then to removing uberkernel as i had this randomly shutoffs every 1 or 2 days. after removing uberkernel there were no ramdomly shutoffs for nearly 3 months.
    now - after upgrading to webos2.1. and installing "new generation" uberkernel - i see this happening again.
    maybe my pre is incompatible, maybe there are some settings to change, that my pre doesn't shut off again. but i don't know, which settings to change best.
    maybe undervolting?
    the same thing is happening to my pre- ,not sure what the problem is..
    I'm also curious to know what's causing this, as I just shifted to 500/800 (down from 500/1000). Hasn't happened yet, but not gonna wait for it to happen..
    my phone has not turned off on its own since i changed to UberKernal defult-500MHz 4 days ago.
    so it must be something with the 800/500 settings.
    Does anyone know what could be causing this?
    i have a pre plus meta doctored to 2.1. with govnah 0.7.24 and uberkernel 2.1.0-18

I have observed stuttering of my pre. I have screenstate 500/1ghz speed. Is there a better setting so stuttering will not happen?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    my newest observation on my on pre- with 2.1.0 and screenstate 500/800 .
    i had turned it off while tweed was active (card mode). i turned pre on, the screen showed a short moment and then a luna restart.
    hm - better than starting from the ground, but a bad behaviour anyway. i have ramdomly shutoffs now every day or two. don't know where to look for settings to change in governah. i think, i have to remove uberkernel and wait for a stable version "in the coming months"
    I have had the same problems you guys are having. What I did was moved to performance or fixed speed 800. Seems to be running better. Not sure what's going on with the screenstate 500/1000
    - Skinneejay -
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    i have a pre plus meta doctored to 2.1. with govnah 0.7.24 and uberkernel 2.1.0-18

I have observed stuttering of my pre. I have screenstate 500/1ghz speed. Is there a better setting so stuttering will not happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    I have had the same problems you guys are having. What I did was moved to performance or fixed speed 800. Seems to be running better. Not sure what's going on with the screenstate 500/1000
    Because of the same problem, I am trying this fix...I read it in a different thread, so we'll see. It almost seemed like waking up from 500 caused a delay...so hopefully a fixed 800 will remedy that.
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    2.1 seems to have incompatibilities to the latest uberkernel/govnah, i hope it gets fixed.