Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
    Between Uber-Kernal and the latest SPK, is there one that's better for the Verizon phone after updating to 1.4.1.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Are you saying it bumps up to 800 when streaming with this kernel and screenstate governor? That shouldnt happen unless the screen was on, if its off then it should run at 500. Unless you have something else running in the background which overrides this?
    No... sorry if my post was misleading... I was referring to the conservative setting I was using prior to the update that included the screenstate governor. The conservative governor would keep it pegged at 800mhz while I would stream music, therefore bring the temp up.

I am in fact streaming music now through the web browser and checking the cpu state through WOSQI and it is in fact showing 500mhz! I've been leaving it stream for about 10 minutes and my phone is holding at 27c

I'll know more later tonight as I will be streaming a lot more music at a much longer period but so far so good!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb2618 View Post
    Did you follow the instructions here?
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals[/url]

Yeah I did it exactly how the page says and the testing feed is no where to be found.
    Is the purpose of the new Uber-Kernel icon to resume overclocking upon reboot?
    Quote Originally Posted by liight View Post
    Is the purpose of the new Uber-Kernel icon to resume overclocking upon reboot?
    No... it added the 'screenstate' setting.

The settings will NOT stick (currently).. it has been mentioned a few times in this thread already. It is out of a safety issue so if you crash your phone you can reboot it without any issues
    Quote Originally Posted by rickgeisen View Post
    Yeah I did it exactly how the page says and the testing feed is no where to be found.
    This may be a dumb question, but did you update feeds after adding them?
    I earlier posted the question about the frequency jumping back to 'max' when the screen powered off.

In IRC, we found a fix for me, but not necessarily a definitive reason or root cause... yet.

For me, the following steps fixed things:
    o preware - update your Saved Package List (if you haven't already).
    o EPR.
    o rebooted - confirmed working correctly.
    o preware - Install All (Saved Package List) to restore all the patches.
    o rebooted - working correctly.

Various patches/apps were removed trying to see if there was a conflict with the screenstate governor. These included BrightnessUnlinked (app), No Auto-Off While Charging (patch), Standby Times Deluxe (patch). Another user w/the same problem also removed CPUscaler (app). I had removed CPUscaler when I switched to uberK and govnah. Perhaps the EPR had some effect on that, but I don't know.

I was able to re-install BrightnessUnlinked (BU) and the two patches mentioned above and screenstate continues to work correctly.

However, if you use a very low brightness level, you may see some issues. For now, I would suggest a display level of '4' or higher. Lower than that and the current screenstate logic will keep the frequency at 500.

One other thing... when I initially adjusted the display level in BU (after re-installing it), the frequency "locked" onto 500. uNiXpSyChO's suggestion to turn the screen off/on reset this so that frequency was correctly set to max.

Many thanx to uNiXpSyChO and others for their help. I will continue to do some testing trying to isolate what the root cause was for me, but hopefully, for now, the above process will help others with this issue.

And if you haven't had the need yet for the Saved Package List feature within Preware... all I can say is WOW! Thanx Rod!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Ok, I update the feed in Preware and installed Uber-kernel. Restarted the Palm and it hangs at the opening window of Uber-Kernel with the pulsing glow behind the penguin. I uninstalled the 800mhz super-kernel, but still have the app there. Is that going to be a conflict? Do I need to completely uninstall the super-kernel app?
    Quote Originally Posted by simbany1 View Post
    Ok, I update the feed in Preware and installed Uber-kernel. Restarted the Palm and it hangs at the opening window of Uber-Kernel with the pulsing glow behind the penguin. I uninstalled the 800mhz super-kernel, but still have the app there. Is that going to be a conflict? Do I need to completely uninstall the super-kernel app?
    First off I would totally remove the previous kernel and anything relating to it due to safety reasons.

Second.. tapping the 'uber kernel' icon will NOT start the kernel. That is a 'placeholder' to show that it is in fact installed. To control the uber kernel you'll need to download 'govnah' from Preware.

All the information you need is in this thread... please take the time to read it

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I just installed UberKernel v1.4.1-13 and Govnah v0.2.4. In Govnah I don't get speed options > 600MHz and I don't get the "screenstate" governor, only userspace and ondemand. I installed from the testing feeds, I thought. What am I doing wrong? thorne
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I just installed UberKernel and Govnah. In Govnah I don't get speed options > 600MHz and I don't get the "screenstate" governor, only userspace and ondemand. I installed from the testing feeds, I thought. What am I doing wrong? thorne
    Sounds like Uber Kernel isn't running. Restart the pre. If that doesn't help it, go back into Preware, uninstall the uber kernel (you can leave govnah installed). let the pre reboot, then install the 1.4.1 'stock' kernel, let it reboot, then install the uberkernel. It does take a few minutes, but I've done this method a few times and has not let me down yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Not sure how you could have missed it, it's been mentioned at least 3 times in this thread alone.

Post #26

Post #35

Post #41
    My skimming skills must be lacking. Thank you.
    I guess I just missed it.
    - Skinneejay -
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    Sounds like Uber Kernel isn't running. Restart the pre.
    Bingo - had to HARD restart (opt + sym + R) and not just do a Luna restart. Thanks, Man !
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Bingo - had to HARD restart (opt + sym + R) and not just do a Luna restart. Thanks, Man !
    Awesome dude!! Enjoy!

I've been using Govnah since it first appeared in the testing feed in Preware and I've over all have very good luck with it!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    So far mine is running correctly after double checking in command line. 800 when on and 500 when off.

Forgive my ignorance with some of this stuff, but when the "screenstate" option is applied....it says 125mhz min and 800mhz max. Why is this never seen? Its always 500mhz when the screen is off. I even tried to go 600/800 and it still showed 500mhz when the screen is off.

Can somebody explain this to me? Is that just a safety default or something? If thats the case then why make the min user selectable at all?

Just curious.

Thanks,
    -BeeRad
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    My skimming skills must be lacking. Thank you.
    I guess I just missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeRad View Post
    So far mine is running correctly after double checking in command line. 800 when on and 500 when off.

Forgive my ignorance with some of this stuff, but when the "screenstate" option is applied....it says 125mhz min and 800mhz max. Why is this never seen? Its always 500mhz when the screen is off. I even tried to go 600/800 and it still showed 500mhz when the screen is off.

Can somebody explain this to me? Is that just a safety default or something? If thats the case then why make the min user selectable at all?

Just curious.

Thanks,
    -BeeRad
    This is by design. There are bugs in Palm's kernel code which make it unstable to run scaling from anything under 500MHz. It works for some but not others. 500 seems to be a safe bet since its factory default.

When it's fixed then the lower freqs will be enabled.
    Live free or DIE!
    unixpsycho, any ideas on the inverted behaviour (800MHz with screen off, 500 MHz with screen on) when using the UberKernel+screenstate governor? Your compcache-Kernel did it all right, there must be some difference in implementation?

I have the same symptoms as this guy: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2416628

I installed the Stock kernel and rebooted before installing UberKernel+Govnah, so my phone was "clean" regarding the kernel. Any hints?

Stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by dl1ely View Post
    unixpsycho, any ideas on the inverted behaviour (800MHz with screen off, 500 MHz with screen on) when using the UberKernel+screenstate governor? Your compcache-Kernel did it all right, there must be some difference in implementation?

I have the same symptoms as this guy: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2416628

I installed the Stock kernel and rebooted before installing UberKernel+Govnah, so my phone was "clean" regarding the kernel. Any hints?

Stefan
    Rumor is some patch is getting in the way or if you have the brightness on the LCD set way too low.

I cant reproduce it so I have no idea yet.
    Live free or DIE!
    I install the previous version of super prekernel and ever since my phone is shutting down by it's self. I uninstalled super prekernel and it is still doing it. Does anyone have any idea what is up? Thanks for any help.
    Lon