Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    I am really enjoying this. You can notice the speed increase and greater performance. When the screen is off you can really notice battery life and it charges faster to. The only problem is battery when using the phone for a good period of time. You can almost watch the battery gauge drop like a gas gauge in a 70's Ford with a v8 lol. But the performance is worth it because in theory your normal every day use should be less because of the speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    f102 and f104 will uninstall cleanly if you installed and uninstalled them properly. It's any kernels or overclocking patches before those two which are the problem.

-- Rod
    Geez, I followed every step from the instructions (or at least I thought I did).. I just doctored my Pre, and installed UK and Gov and yet it's still stuck at 800.. Even on touchstone.. I'm using Gov 4.2 and UK 1.4.1-21.. Any other suggestion? Would kernel recovery help?
    Last edited by GridIron21; 06/26/2010 at 10:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Just based on my device. 3 battery pulls and an increase in temperature for the first day after I installed the UK. I almost removed it before it settled in the next day. Perhaps it was just my device, but I know a lot of people experienced freezing soon after installation.
    computers don't work like that..... just saying is all

Also the temp is based off operating speed and conditions. Such as time in state, apps being ran, radios being ran (may not directly influence cpu temp, but overall heat of device and heat dissipation due to the added heat in device). Slider open vs. slider closed can also change your CPU temp, even if you change no other variables.

For example, even running my kernel at 500 or 600 mhz, I can get over 40 degrees when running a lot of apps on the phone (thus taxing the CPU). As far as freezing after install, for my device, thus far I have not experienced any freezing or other randomness any more than I did with factory kernel.

I am thinking your comment on freezing may have 2 factors, first the people are paying more attention waiting to see if the kernel will mess anything up, and second if anything then goes wrong in their higher state of awareness it is automagically attributed to the kernel and not any other preexisting factors or performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    computers don't work like that..... just saying is all

Also the temp is based off operating speed and conditions. Such as time in state, apps being ran, radios being ran (may not directly influence cpu temp, but overall heat of device and heat dissipation due to the added heat in device). Slider open vs. slider closed can also change your CPU temp, even if you change no other variables.

For example, even running my kernel at 500 or 600 mhz, I can get over 40 degrees when running a lot of apps on the phone (thus taxing the CPU). As far as freezing after install, for my device, thus far I have not experienced any freezing or other randomness any more than I did with factory kernel.

I am thinking your comment on freezing may have 2 factors, first the people are paying more attention waiting to see if the kernel will mess anything up, and second if anything then goes wrong in their higher state of awareness it is automagically attributed to the kernel and not any other preexisting factors or performance.
    I installed the UK and Govnah the day before it was officially released in Preware. I tried one of the scaling govenors after rebooting and my phone heated up and then froze. After pulling the battery I left it in userstate for a while and then tried one of the scaling govenors later in the day with the same result. I tried one more time after that and it froze again. Since then I've only used the performance and screenstate govenors with the minimum set to 500Mhz. It seems that any time I try a setting below 500Mhz it's been a problem.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I installed the UK and Govnah the day before it was officially released in Preware. I tried one of the scaling govenors after rebooting and my phone heated up and then froze. After pulling the battery I left it in userstate for a while and then tried one of the scaling govenors later in the day with the same result. I tried one more time after that and it froze again. Since then I've only used the performance and screenstate govenors with the minimum set to 500Mhz. It seems that any time I try a setting below 500Mhz it's been a problem.
    So that has nothing to do with the device adjusting though.....

Have you updated to the current non alpha versions of UK and Govnah or are you still running those old versions? I know there have been a lot of updates to the way Govnah handles certain things. Also I remember reading something about what was the current official release of UK (at the time) having problems with going to or coming out of certain frequencies.... I can't remember the exact information.

What are the problems you have setting below 500 in screenstate?

Assuming you haven't updated since before the official release (since that is the only kernel and govnah you referenced) I would say you should definitely uninstall the versions you are running and install the current public preware fees if you haven't done so.

For reference..... I was working in the yard this morning (it was already pretty hot out already), running at 500 mhz, pre in hard sprint case and then in soft case (covers entire phone), in my pocket mowing the lawn running Dr Podder the entire time. Highest temp I saw when I was all done was 44, slid open phone, laid on counter (non A/C house) temp was down under 40 in a minute or 2 and after leaving it there while I hoped in the shower (slider still open) phone was under 30 within maybe 5 more minutes.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I installed today UK 1.4.1-21 and Govnah. I set it on default Screenstate 500/800 profile and so far everything is great. I need to know one detail: what happens if I stream music on Touchstone? If I understood correctly, when you have your Pre on Touchstone, the frequency should drop to 500. With the above mentioned profile, it stays always at 800.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I installed today UK 1.4.1-21 and Govnah. I set it on default Screenstate 500/800 profile and so far everything is great. I need to know one detail: what happens if I stream music on Touchstone? If I understood correctly, when you have your Pre on Touchstone, the frequency should drop to 500. With the above mentioned profile, it stays always at 800.
    How are you checking the speed? And the screen lock is displayed?

From the first page:
    scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display)
    I believe he checked it while it was still on touchstone, which was exactly what I did.. Unless when using screenstate, which means gov will immediately scale it up to 800 whenever someone touches screen?

edit: I feel like a fool now after I reread the first page once again.. I guess there wasn't anything wrong with my UK & govnah.. However, the reason why I thought there was something wrong with it was the spiked heating; now my Pre will heats up to between 45 to 49c whenever it's on touchstone or recharging while using sprintnav.. I never had the problem until few days ago..
    Last edited by GridIron21; 06/26/2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GridIron21 View Post
    I believe he checked it while it was still on touchstone, which was exactly what I did.. Unless when using screenstate, which means gov will immediately scale it up to 800 whenever someone touches screen?

edit: I feel like a fool now after I reread the first page once again.. I guess there wasn't anything wrong with my UK & govnah.. However, the reason why I thought there was something wrong with it was the spiked heating; now my Pre will heats up to between 45 to 49c whenever it's on touchstone or recharging while using sprintnav.. I never had the problem until few days ago..
    Just FYI, my quick and dirty way of checking speed when I change something, it to set polling to 1 second. Put the phone in a state where is should drop speed (for touchstone use make sure the screen gets locked). Leave it in the locked state for 10 seconds, then unlock and you should see the frequency drop on the graph from when it was locked and they the frequency spike when you unlocked it. It's not an exact science, but an EASY way to check to make sure your govnah/kernel is behaving in the manor you think you have it set to.
    So that has nothing to do with the device adjusting though.....

Have you updated to the current non alpha versions of UK and Govnah or are you still running those old versions? I know there have been a lot of updates to the way Govnah handles certain things. Also I remember reading something about what was the current official release of UK (at the time) having problems with going to or coming out of certain frequencies.... I can't remember the exact information.

What are the problems you have setting below 500 in screenstate?

Assuming you haven't updated since before the official release (since that is the only kernel and govnah you referenced) I would say you should definitely uninstall the versions you are running and install the current public preware fees if you haven't done so.

For reference..... I was working in the yard this morning (it was already pretty hot out already), running at 500 mhz, pre in hard sprint case and then in soft case (covers entire phone), in my pocket mowing the lawn running Dr Podder the entire time. Highest temp I saw when I was all done was 44, slid open phone, laid on counter (non A/C house) temp was down under 40 in a minute or 2 and after leaving it there while I hoped in the shower (slider still open) phone was under 30 within maybe 5 more minutes.
    I have updated the kernel to -21 which is the current public release. I've also done all the Govnah updates as well. It just seems like scaling below 500Mhz doesn't seem to work on my device. Temperature has not been a problem, it mainly stays around 37C and rarely goes over 47C.

I played about with N.O.V.A on the Pre and the CPU temp gauge went up to 57C on the screenstate 500/800 profile. I then decided to go back to the official kernel to stay on the safe side, and besides I didn't see an uber performance in overclocking, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    How are you checking the speed? And the screen lock is displayed?

From the first page:
    scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display)
    Put your Pre on the stone, it should say 500 not 800 when you open Govnah.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    I played about with N.O.V.A on the Pre and the CPU temp gauge went up to 57C on the screenstate 500/800 profile. I then decided to go back to the official kernel to stay on the safe side, and besides I didn't see an uber performance in overclocking, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    IMO, the difference is HUGE. The first place where I felt it was how responsive is the phone was when I clicked on web links. Second, was with Foursquare and Google Maps. Before, the GPS used to take minutes before it waked, now is almost instant. I can finally use the maps and Foursquare as it should work, not to mention the blazing fast programs I get now. When you are using your phone every day for hours, like I do, you will notice rightaway the BIG improvements.

But the best is the server load. While running on 500Mhz, the load is ballistic, can go even up to 10. If you are an Linux head, you know what I mean. Once you switch it to Screenstate and use it for a while, you will rarely see it jump over 1.5. Mines is never higher then 1. It is normal, the more processing power you have, lower the server load will be.

Also, if you want to stay on the safe side, set the UK at Default Palm profile, it will keep your processor at 500Mhz. In Govnah, click on Profile and select Palm Default.

EDIT: I am wrong in one aspect, the server load? I just left the phone rest on the table for like 30min with Govnah open. The temp was 31degrees and the load was near 5? How is that possible? When the screen is black, the proc drops to 500 while you wake it up it will jump to 800 and spike a little the 1min or 5min usage... but my 15min CPU usage was 10!

This is a screen when I just started using the Pre, after one hour of inactivity (no charge or stone, lust regular sleep), compared to the one with 5min of constant activity:

Does anyone else have similar issues?
    Last edited by T3CK; 06/27/2010 at 08:59 AM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    You guys have to understand some pre's cant be under or over clocked it just depends on the CPU that's in the device some are good over clockers and some are not I have bought 2 identical CPU's for a computer once one would oc like a mofo the other would only go about 200 over... juts the way that it is
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    You guys have to understand some pre's cant be under or over clocked it just depends on the CPU that's in the device some are good over clockers and some are not I have bought 2 identical CPU's for a computer once one would oc like a mofo the other would only go about 200 over... juts the way that it is
    I agree, that's why I don't try scaling below 500Mhz anymore, it just doesn't agree with my Pre. I have no problems with the higher speeds however.

My Pre also does not like scaling below 500Mhz either, freezes up and I then have to pull the battery to bring if back, but I have no problems so far with over clocking it. I have been running the Govnah on the conservative setting with the min. set at 600Mhz and the max. set at 800 Mhz and am really happy with the smoothness of scrolling and the boot up speed when opening apps. One positive side effect I have noticed is that my battery life a idle has been really good. A few nights ago I ran the battery monitor to confirm to confirm my suspicions and was surprised to find that with my email set to check every 15 min., GPS on, and wifi set to on my battery consumption was less than 1% per hour. Version 4.2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My Pre also does not like scaling below 500Mhz either, freezes up and I then have to pull the battery to bring if back, but I have no problems so far with over clocking it. I have been running the Govnah on the conservative setting with the min. set at 600Mhz and the max. set at 800 Mhz and am really happy with the smoothness of scrolling and the boot up speed when opening apps. One positive side effect I have noticed is that my battery life a idle has been really good. A few nights ago I ran the battery monitor to confirm to confirm my suspicions and was surprised to find that with my email set to check every 15 min., GPS on, and wifi set to on my battery consumption was less than 1% per hour. Version 4.2
    Cool! I'm gonna try that govenor.
    Did you change any of the parameters?

Cool! I'm gonna try that govenor.
    Did you change any of the parameters?
    Only thing I changed was I increased the freq. step to 50%
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Only thing I changed was I increased the freq. step to 50%
    I tried your settings and that didn't work for me either. It seemed to be working fine. I changed the freq. step to 50%, used it for a while, put it on the TS at 68% battery to top it off. A half hour later it was down to 59%, so I put it back on the TS and watched TV for about an hour, came back, now it's down to 56% and hot 49C, so I try changing to previous profiles. Every one I chose wouldn't work stuck at 800Mhz and unknown profile on every one. Even Palm default went to 600, 600 and 600, so I forced it back to 500Mhz, rebooted and put it back on the TS. 20 minutes later it's back up to a 70% charge and I'm back to screenstate at 500/720Mhz. Oh well.

I tried your settings and that didn't work for me either. It seemed to be working fine. I changed the freq. step to 50%, used it for a while, put it on the TS at 68% battery to top it off. A half hour later it was down to 59%, so I put it back on the TS and watched TV for about an hour, came back, now it's down to 56% and hot 49C, so I try changing to previous profiles. Every one I chose wouldn't work stuck at 800Mhz and unknown profile on every one. Even Palm default went to 600, 600 and 600, so I forced it back to 500Mhz, rebooted and put it back on the TS. 20 minutes later it's back up to a 70% charge and I'm back to screenstate at 500/720Mhz. Oh well.
    Strange, I am running the stock Uberkernel (v1.4.2-21), not one from the beta feeds, here is screen shot of my settings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 06/27/2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add