Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445464752 ... LastLast
    So I think I may have found my Pre's sweet spot: Performance 720/720. Good speed, minimal lag and hangups, heat generally stays in the low to mid 20's and doesn't exceed mid 30's.

I took thep hone off the charger around 8am and by about 2:30 this afternoon I was still around 76%. That's with some fairly moderate use (made a few calls, sent a bunch of texts, checked email a bunch of times).

So far so good. We'll see what happens over the next few days.

Also, when rebooting, it comes back to the custom profile, not the Palm default.

Hope this helps someone.
  2.    #822  
    Quote Originally Posted by olufadi1 View Post
    can anyone give me any advice? my battery life just took a turn for the worst after installing uber kernel. i removed uber kernel and govnah but i'm still having issues. battery monitor reports reports that during use i'm using about 20% (sometimes more) per hour when i am on 3G. wondering if overclocking really messed up my battery life.

For some reason it is a lot less when I am on wifi (about 8% during use) even when I am in areas of good 3G network (i thought wifi drain more power when in areas of good connection)

my GPS is off, i decreased the frequency of refreshing on my twitter and facebook apps and set email to manual. my phone was even plugged in and it was losing percentage. i'm confused!
    In your case, it's likely that the harmonics from the overclocking are interfering with your cellular reception (this is reported to be one of the reasons why Palm did not run the Pre at 600MHz in the first place). Hence your cellular radio is working harder and using more power.

Reduced cellular reception (and therefore increased power usage) is a known side-effect of over-clocking for some people.

Perhaps try 720MHz (which will have different harmonic frequencies) instead of 800MHz, or vice versa.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by glevitan View Post
    Seems like im the only one here with this particular problem....I installed UK and GV....runs really well.

I have it set to 800/500, it downgrades to 500 when the screen is off, but it doesn't seem to switch back to 800 when it wakes. Am i doing something wrong? It only switches to 800 when i hit apply settings in GV.
    Have you tried fiddling with the brightness settings? I read somewhere that if you had it at 20% or less it wouldn't work as intended. In my case, oddly enough, I have it at 13% and it works beautifully

YMMV of course.
    quick funny story:
    I went ahead and installed uber and govnah and followed the directions and really didn't notice any difference. I chalked it up to just not being tech savy enough to notice. But the other day I opened up my governor and saw it wasn't on screenstate. Oh. lol. Anyways, I set it right and I must say, wow. What a difference. great work guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post

Also, when rebooting, it comes back to the custom profile, not the Palm default.

Hope this helps someone.
    How did you get Uber/Govnah profile to persist running overclocked following reboot?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    How did you get Uber/Govnah profile to persist running overclocked following reboot?
    There is a new version in the testing feeds that does this. I am not sure if it's been released to general Preware use, yet.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    In your case, it's likely that the harmonics from the overclocking are interfering with your cellular reception (this is reported to be one of the reasons why Palm did not run the Pre at 600MHz in the first place). Hence your cellular radio is working harder and using more power.

Reduced cellular reception (and therefore increased power usage) is a known side-effect of over-clocking for some people.

Perhaps try 720MHz (which will have different harmonic frequencies) instead of 800MHz, or vice versa.

-- Rod
    can this problem persist even after no longer overclocking? previously i used superkernel and then uber kernel and govnah. i am not using a overclocking method and the battery life is still worse than usual.
  8.    #828  
    can this problem persist even after no longer overclocking? previously i used superkernel and then uber kernel and govnah. i am not using a overclocking method and the battery life is still worse than usual.
    If you have correctly uninstalled the overclocking methods, then the problem cannot persist.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    i used superkernel to restore the default kernel and uninstalled superkernel with preware. also uninstalled govnah and uberkernel with preware. should i have set the default settings with govnah before uninstalling? (also i uninstalled the superkernel service after using uberkernel because i forgot it was there. could this have created a problem?)

sorry for all the questions. thanks for the help.
  10.    #830  
    i used superkernel to restore the default kernel and uninstalled superkernel with preware. also uninstalled govnah and uberkernel with preware. should i have set the default settings with govnah before uninstalling? (also i uninstalled the superkernel service after using uberkernel because i forgot it was there. could this have created a problem?)

Sounds like you did everything correctly.

-- Rod

The uninstall/install sequence is out of order. SPK had an old hack that might cause problems if not removed properly. The symptoms are high CPU load.
    Live free or DIE!
    where can i find the uninstall directions for superkernel. (is there a link or anything) (or is it too late and should i doctor my phone?) i know the videos are down and the initial post on the thread was removed so i am not sure where to look
    Coming from the now abandoned super kernel I just wanted to thank you two for making such a polished overclocking solution.
    I read back around generation 1 that you needed to monitor the temp when overclocking. It seemed at the time that that mostly came from intensive gaming. I really don't game much but what I DO do is watch sprint tv with the charger plugged in. Sometimes I've noticed the phone gets hot from this.

I have never over clocked and have stick with all the normal patching,theme etc... But this gen 3 Uberkernal really seems safe. Has anyone had any issues with OCing and sprint TV? Thanks in advance for any insight!! Great Work!!
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I imagine any data intensive app such as streaming TV will cause the device to get hot. Physical environment and other apps running probably also play a roll on whether or not it gets too hot.

What I'd like to see is a detection of "too hot" and then automatic cpu clocking back to default 500MHz. Perhaps both of those variables could be configurable.. "too hot" and the speed in which it will set to when it reaches that temp.
    After rebooting my phone, Govnah defaults to userspace 800MHZ. I thought rebooting sets it back to deafault 500MHZ?
    Quote Originally Posted by csrredcoat View Post
    After rebooting my phone, Govnah defaults to userspace 800MHZ. I thought rebooting sets it back to deafault 500MHZ?
    Govnah now reboots and loads the last known good config upon a successful startup.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Govnah now reboots and loads the last known good config upon a successful startup.
    It does? Is there a new version? No available updates are listed in Preware. I'm on 0.3.0, which does not do this...
    mine is currently 0.4.2.... Maybe your preware isn't checking for an update to the new feed? And for the post below that's strange you didn't receive the update in preware either.
    Last edited by Stevesrjr86; 06/02/2010 at 08:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Just checked - latest version is 0.3.0
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced