Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1118
  1. #801  
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    I have a question. I installed Uber Kernal/Govnah on my niece's Pre. I can only get 600 mhz when trying to set the speeds. There is no option of getting anything higher than 600 or lower than 500. Is there an issue with the ipk download from Preware?

    I was going to do the wife's and daughter's Pre but I am holding of until this gets answered.
    Did you restart your niece's Pre after you downloaded UK/Govnah?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  2. #802  
    Brand new pre user here, been lurking around these forums, checking things out.

    I just successfully installed the uber kernel and govnah, and everything seems to be working great (using the screenstate governor)! I've been running for an hour or so, no issues!

    I just wanted to say thanks to all the work that went into this!
  3. #803  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle View Post
    Brand new pre user here, been lurking around these forums, checking things out.

    I just successfully installed the uber kernel and govnah, and everything seems to be working great (using the screenstate governor)! I've been running for an hour or so, no issues!

    I just wanted to say thanks to all the work that went into this!
    Welcome to your new "Pre-diction" and I'm glad they are working for you.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  4. #804  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Did you restart your niece's Pre after you downloaded UK/Govnah?
    Yup. Restarted it, full restart. She is not here right now but I'll try again once she gets home. Any thing else that you can think of? I have it working on a couple of Pre here.
  5. #805  
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    Yup. Restarted it, full restart. She is not here right now but I'll try again once she gets home. Any thing else that you can think of? I have it working on a couple of Pre here.
    Make sure you are using the latest versions of Preware, UK and Govnah. Uninstall and reinstall UK and Govnah. Anyone else?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  6. #806  
    Per pastorrich1 I've been running mostly performance with 800 min/max set and have been performing rather well. While I've stayed mostly in the mid 20's to mid 30's in temperature, I have noticed some increases in temp well into the 40's when at rest and charging. I have the Naztech charging holster and I've taken to turning it off if I don't really need the power, as the Pre is heating up noticeably while charging (this did not happen the first few days I was using it. No notable heat increase at all, most of the time).

    Today, it went well into the 90's outside and I was wearing the charging holster (undert my shirt, not exposed to the direct sunlight). I tried going into airplane mode, but ultimately turned off the pre to get the temp down. Even then, 30 minutes later it still felt hot.

    I have noticed that, if the heat goes up the Pre get's VERY sluggish and I have to reboot. Not even switching to Palm default helps. I have also noticed that Govnah settings that used to work for me, like conservative and powersave, now cause the device to get very sluggish as well.

    So far, I will admit, even running Uber/Govnah in performance with 800/800 fixed as suggested, I am not getting the same consistently fast performance, long battery life, and low temperature that I enjoyed way back with the 800Mhz sh file. I know it's not supported anymore and I know the question has been raised against offering up the info to get it back, but I would be willing to put it back on mine if someone would direct me to how to find and install it again.

    Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  7. #807  
    I had a thought... it's been said many times that which solution works best, depends upon the behavior of our individual processors, due to variations in the manufacturing process. These leads me to a few questions:

    1) Why would there be ANY variations in the processors?

    2) Is it because of the range of documented acceptable tolerances within the process? OR

    3) That different Pre's actually have different processors made by different manufacturers or made to different specs depending upon the job batch they are part of?

    If the answer is (3), then, is it possible to identify which processor we each have and which Govnah setting work best based upon that information?

    Thanks!

    2) Is there any way to determine
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  8. #808  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    1) Why would there be ANY variations in the processors?

    2) Is it because of the range of documented acceptable tolerances within the process? OR

    3) That different Pre's actually have different processors made by different manufacturers or made to different specs depending upon the job batch they are part of?
    I believe 2 is correct. No process is perfectly repeatable. Microscopic processes may be even less so.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9.    #809  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I had a thought... it's been said many times that which solution works best, depends upon the behavior of our individual processors, due to variations in the manufacturing process. These leads me to a few questions:

    1) Why would there be ANY variations in the processors?

    2) Is it because of the range of documented acceptable tolerances within the process? OR

    3) That different Pre's actually have different processors made by different manufacturers or made to different specs depending upon the job batch they are part of?
    1) Because the semiconductor wafer manufacturing process operates at a sub-micron level, and impurities in the raw materials used as well as contaminants introducted during processing cause cause individual devices to widely vary in functionality and performance. It is a miracle that any devices work at all, rather than a surprise that some don't work.

    2) Manufacturers test each chip to determine whether it operates correctly within a guaranteed operating region. Operation outside of that region (e.g. overclocking) is not guaranteed, and will vary widely for each individual chip produced. Note that a significant percentage (sometimes up to 50% or more) of devices produced fail to meet even the guaranteed specifications under testing and are simply thrown away - this is referred to as the "yield" of a semiconductor process.

    3) That is not the case, however the fabrication process also changes over time, and the manufacturer may have a number of fabrication plants which differ widely in the out-of-guaranteed-specification behaviour.

    Note that what you may think of as solid wires inside a chip are actually very flimsy collections of atoms that move around and change their properties over time.

    Have a read of http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?contid=2&artid=68 or take a look at some of the movies at http://people.ccmr.cornell.edu/~ralp...s/emig_movies/ to see just what overclocking eventually does to a device ...

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/30/2010 at 11:03 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. #810  
    After playing with this a bit more, I got a few questions.

    At what temp should I start taking action to reduce it? The highest I've seen it so far is 47...

    And I was wondering about the load average display in Govneh. A few times when I've pulled it up, it shows the load average over 16!! From what I know about the load average on unix-like systems, that is unusually high. Is that normal?

    Finally, I had read that Moto Droid users successfully clocked their CPUs at 1 ghz. I thought the Pre has the same CPU as that device; would clock speeds that high ever be available to us?
  11. #811  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle View Post
    After playing with this a bit more, I got a few questions.

    At what temp should I start taking action to reduce it? The highest I've seen it so far is 47...

    And I was wondering about the load average display in Govneh. A few times when I've pulled it up, it shows the load average over 16!! From what I know about the load average on unix-like systems, that is unusually high. Is that normal?

    Finally, I had read that Moto Droid users successfully clocked their CPUs at 1 ghz. I thought the Pre has the same CPU as that device; would clock speeds that high ever be available to us?
    UNIX load average is not really the load of the system. It just means how many "things" are waiting to do something. When the phone goes into suspend mode most parts of the SoC go to sleep and certain things wake it up. So some things sit there until a WFI comes along and wakes up the phone, like a WOL or a battery check. This is normal.

    1GHz might not produce desired results. The Pre is not a PC where bus speeds can handle 2x the designed spec. Also the life span of the CPU drops dramatically.
    Live free or DIE!
  12. #812  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    read the post after yours from faantom.

    sh location file name uninstall
    I don't see the post by him. I just need the command line to uninstall. Can some one please post it again?
  13. #813  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgene63 View Post
    I don't see the post by him. I just need the command line to uninstall. Can some one please post it again?
    is this what you are looking for
    sh /var/home/root/720MHzOS14.sh install

    i think you just replace "install" with "uninstall" and if yours is 800 change that also... this is just a guess i am no expert.... maybe some one else can chime in
  14. #814  
    worked great thank you! I'll save it in a txt file this time
  15. #815  
    when I launch UberKernel the info screen showing me all the latest updates in this release pops up, but the usual "I'm finished reading this" button doesn't show up.
  16. #816  
    I just want to confirm that I down have to launch govnah for it to work right?
  17. stephenjj's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #817  
    Quote Originally Posted by comiken205 View Post
    I have a question. I installed Uber Kernal/Govnah on my niece's Pre. I can only get 600 mhz when trying to set the speeds. There is no option of getting anything higher than 600 or lower than 500. Is there an issue with the ipk download from Preware?

    I was going to do the wife's and daughter's Pre but I am holding of until this gets answered.

    One thing i did first before installing Gov/Uber was to use preware to reset my kernel to the original factory state. Did you do that on your niece's pre before installing G/U?
  18. #818  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgene63 View Post
    I just want to confirm that I down have to launch govnah for it to work right?
    thats right. once you have the settings you want saved in govnah, closing it will not change anything.. you will only have to reset if you reboot your phone...
  19. #819  
    Seems like im the only one here with this particular problem....I installed UK and GV....runs really well.

    I have it set to 800/500, it downgrades to 500 when the screen is off, but it doesn't seem to switch back to 800 when it wakes. Am i doing something wrong? It only switches to 800 when i hit apply settings in GV.
  20. #820  
    can anyone give me any advice? my battery life just took a turn for the worst after installing uber kernel. i removed uber kernel and govnah but i'm still having issues. battery monitor reports reports that during use i'm using about 20% (sometimes more) per hour when i am on 3G. wondering if overclocking really messed up my battery life.

    For some reason it is a lot less when I am on wifi (about 8% during use) even when I am in areas of good 3G network (i thought wifi drain more power when in areas of good connection)

    my GPS is off, i decreased the frequency of refreshing on my twitter and facebook apps and set email to manual. my phone was even plugged in and it was losing percentage. i'm confused!

Posting Permissions