Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
    Hey all,

I have mine set to Screenstate - 500/800, but when I check the graph after the screen has been off for about 5 minutes or so, the graph and digital readout are at 800 and look like they have been the whole 5 mins.

Anyone else having this issue?

-Prelover29
    the only way you can save battery (not accounting for other things like the screen and other peripherals) is when your cpu is doing nothing. The longer the time the cpu is idle, the longer your battery life.

The fastest you can make your cpu work will get it back to idle. So most of the time, running at higher frequency will give you more idling. Even if the power consumption is higher at higher frequencies. Note that the curve is not necessarely linear so highest frequency you cpu can handle is not always the best. The general rule is faster = more idle = more power save.

cpu scaling is great to keep the cpu temperature low. However, it requires processing time to calculate which frequency it must run. It also takes time and power to switch frequencies, this mean that you'll need more cpu cycle to accomplish the same task and thus, theorically, increase consumption.

governor like screenstate are better than ondemand (on battery life) because the occurrence of scaling is rare (only when the screen is turn on or off). It is also good for you device because it will operate at the normal frequency most of the time and overclock only when your screen is on. It may not yield the same battery saving as running all the time at 800Mhz though. But it will have less impact on the cpu lifetime.

note that this apply to cpu only. The device hasmany peripherals (gps, sensors, ...) that all consume power and request processing time. Also the battery discharge rate may be higher at higher temp than lower temp and the longevity of the battery will also be affected. Only experimentation can yield the optimal settings and may vary from device to device (especially is overclocking is involved).
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    It may not yield the same battery saving as running all the time at 800Mhz though. But it will have less impact on the cpu lifetime.
    Good info.

I agree with almost everything you posted with the above exception. Anticipated reduced CPU lifetime is based on the presumption of increased frequency means increased heat, for increased periods of time. If in fact the rush to idle reduces the amount of time that the processor is hot then the converse would be true and the CPU life could be extended.

Cycles is not the enemy, heat is, so a processor running fast but maintained in a cool environment (much like a server room) will not necessarily have any negative life expectancy compared to the same processor running slower in the same environment.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I have the super pre kernal installed will this uber and govnah run cooler for me. I seem to get getting heat warnings when i charge or when i use the gps and music apps. Any suggestions for what to use? If i would use this would i have to uninstall the other product?
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    I have the super pre kernal installed will this uber and govnah run cooler for me. I seem to get getting heat warnings when i charge or when i use the gps and music apps. Any suggestions for what to use? If i would use this would i have to uninstall the other product?
    If you run the same type of settings with Uber and Govnah, your temps will likely be the same when doing the same types of things.

And yes, you would need to remove SPK to run Uber and Govnah.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreLover29 View Post
    Hey all,

I have mine set to Screenstate - 500/800, but when I check the graph after the screen has been off for about 5 minutes or so, the graph and digital readout are at 800 and look like they have been the whole 5 mins.

Anyone else having this issue?

-Prelover29
    Several people have posted this same issue, i even posted an image of this exact issue, but i was ignored too and no one could seem to answer my question. Somtimes it works, but most of the time it goes back to 800mhz on it's own. i would say 95% of the time it doesn't work.

i also tried to doctor my pre and install this first and still have same issue. i too would like an answer lol

Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    I too have same issue, i set my to screenstate, and at first it works fine but after a couple of seconds it goes back to 800 before i turn on the screen, then when i turn off the screen again, it continues to stay at 800. see image below:

Doesn't really bother me that much though, because i'm used to running 800mhz, always on, i just wish it would work because i hear such great things about it

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Did a little digging and found this from Rod:

Note that Govnah doesn't update the graph or icon or frequency value when the screen is off, so if you are only looking at Govnah to determine whether it was running at 500MHz or not then you may be seeing misleading information.

You can check "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq" on the command line to see the true current frequency value. If that also reports 800MHz when the screen is off, then please report it again and we'll look into the issue further. You can use novaterm or WOSQI or ssh access to get to the command line when the screen is off.
    I agree with these observations; I now use Govnah and Uberkernel always at performance 800/800.... but kind of annoying since I also have Preset to reset daily, so I have to put it back each morning.
    Still, I feel like the old 800MHz kernal installed (ssh) was running faster and cooler. Maybe itīs just in my head, but I miss it. Has anyone gone back to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreLover29 View Post
    Did a little digging and found this from Rod:

Note that Govnah doesn't update the graph or icon or frequency value when the screen is off, so if you are only looking at Govnah to determine whether it was running at 500MHz or not then you may be seeing misleading information.

You can check "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq" on the command line to see the true current frequency value. If that also reports 800MHz when the screen is off, then please report it again and we'll look into the issue further. You can use novaterm or WOSQI or ssh access to get to the command line when the screen is off.
    When I'm running Screenstate 250-800 and I type that into the linux commandline on WOSQI while my screen is OFF, I get a report back that it's running at 500mhz, not the 250 in the settings. Anyone else having this issue? Or did I just skip over something in the 39 pages I just read and I'll get yelled at for not searching. (:-P)
    ------------------
    UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the answer. It appears that while there is a setting option to scale it down to 250, WebOS Internals hasn't yet been able to figure out how to actually do that yet. Since Govnah is supposedly self updating (right?), when that feature does get figured out our settings will automatically take place.

Now do I have that right?
    Last edited by irishtexmex; 05/27/2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Found the answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I agree with these observations; I now use Govnah and Uberkernel always at performance 800/800.... but kind of annoying since I also have Preset to reset daily, so I have to put it back each morning.
    Still, I feel like the old 800MHz kernal installed (ssh) was running faster and cooler. Maybe itīs just in my head, but I miss it. Has anyone gone back to it?
    I have preset reset for every day and it was annoyed for me to set up every morning overclocking options in Govnah, so today i installed old kind IPK 800 Mhz for 1.4.1.1 and now i dont worry about updating frequency mode and bythe way it works quicker than Govnah, bcs Govnah probably processes different range of data - such CPU internal temp, smth else and it works not as fast as IPK, and with Govnah i had all the time TOO MANY CARDS ERROR and constant reload of Mode Switcher...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I still agree. In fact, I didn't notice any heat increase or warnings until SuperKernal and then Uber. I was actually blissfully enjoying the performance and battery life, not even thinking about the fact that I wasn't scaling, until SPK and CPUScaler Ultimate came out. Then, I thought, "wow! I can control this!" Cool!

Anyone know where the instructions are for going back to the original 800Mhz sh file? I would be willing to give it a go.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 05/27/2010 at 05:44 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    mine is set on performance at 800 min and max and the graph never changes from a flat line on the bottom. Is that normal
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    See Pg. 20 Post #383 by Unixpsycho by for location to find the proper lunasysmgr file if you have the wrong one.
    "You can grab the LunaSysMgr file directly from the webosdoctor.jar file in the big tar.gz file, then send it to the Pre."

Read the above from 383 but don't know how to pull the file out or how to send it to the PRE. Does not sound like the common way of using WOSQI for IPK's or patches. Any ideas.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    "You can grab the LunaSysMgr file directly from the webosdoctor.jar file in the big tar.gz file, then send it to the Pre."

Read the above from 383 but don't know how to pull the file out or how to send it to the PRE. Does not sound like the common way of using WOSQI for IPK's or patches. Any ideas.
    That's the reason installing it isn't recommended. Nobody is supporting it.

I don't know how to get into a .jar file but I went and did a quick google for... "how to open a .jar file" and found this result which tells that you can use any program that would normally open a .zip files because they are in the same format.

Then followed a similar process for how to open a .gz file and found this.

Now the next search you would need to do is how to send a file using a linux command line (there's one in WOQI). Although those instructions specifically for that file exist here in the forums.

But again, nobody is currently supporting that kernel or its removal. So if you use it, you do so at your own risk and hope that somebody around here remembers and is kind enough to take their own time to point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 05/27/2010 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    mine is set on performance at 800 min and max and the graph never changes from a flat line on the bottom. Is that normal
    Yes, because your frequency is not changing. You would expect it to be a constant line.
    Can anyone send me the link on where to download the patch? I just bought I dont have enought posts yet for the link to appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdesigns View Post
    Can anyone send me the link on where to download the patch? I just bought I dont have enought posts yet for the link to appear.
    Install WebOS Quick Install (use the search) then install Preware (use the search), then look at Page 1 and Post 1 of this thread and you will be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    I am having this issue as well. I loaded the camera app today and it was a grey screen for 30 sec or so before I could take a pic. Also noticed this happen with the calendar app - it stayed in card mode for at least a min before I swiped it away. However, both the camera and calendar app issues occurred on the first open after a reboot. After I opened them once - they seem to load up fine.

Also, I've been having some issues with the speed going back to 500 mhz using screenstate when the screen is on? ( I am seeing the 500 mhz on the Govnah app - I haven't been able to check my speed using command line to make sure it really is at 500. ) Just seems to happen randomly - then goes back to normal???

Finally, it seems like it doesn't take much for me to get to a 45° CPU temp. Is the 45° the warning mark the same as it is for the battery temp? I saw that webOS Internals wasn't ready to discuss warning marks in another thread - has that changed?

I was running fine with the old 800mhz patch - but I know that has been dropped/closed - and I am trying to stay up with the programs that will continue to be developed. Once the bugs are totally worked out I know it will be the best thing running. Thank you guys for your constant work!

Update-- I think the camera app issue is related to Screenstate. I did a reboot -- switched to screenstate -- and again had all kinds of issues with the camera app (not loading -- lag -- freezing -- and when I swiped it off the screen the swoosh sound was stuck in a constant loop for like ten seconds). Then, I rebooted again -- switched to userpace 800mhz -- opened the camera app with no issue at all. In my "lay" opinion --- the viewfinder would change the screen brightness -- or is at least a different screen state than normal -- so it would make sense that the screenstate govenor may be causing it to bug out. (or not??)
    Interesting . . . I gave Uber + Govnah a try May 2nd and had a few issues (see above). I went back to the 800 MHz IPK right away, and have had zero issues (in fact I could not be happier w/ the way my Pre runs . . .considering its factory limitations).

I've been planning to remove the IPk 800Mhz on release of 1.4.5 OR once the bugs are worked out of Uber + Govnah; which ever occurs first. Unfortunately, it still seems like folks are having some issues. Not trying to step on anyones toes (I Love webOS internals for all they have done!), but is there any chance that the simple, dumbed down version of overclocking is just better?

(Again no offense to all the great work. I'm glad webOS Internals is striving to push the limits . . . And watching out for our phone's safety at the same time)
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    A great way to save battery on this phone is to use the Govnah. You don't have to set it to 800 mhz. You can set it to 500 mhz with the screen on and 125 or 250 mhz with the screen off. I'm not sure if the processor will boost to 600 for 3D gaming but if it doesnt just set it to 600 with screen on and 250 off. The phone saves a lot of battery when the screen is off at 250 mhz. Even at 800 on and 250 off the way I have it set the battery is the same or slightly better even though my phone is faster.
    Ok since they removed the original post for the IPK can someone please provide me with the command line to remove the 800mhz patch so that I can try this?