Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomaas View Post
    Thank you! I just uninstalled Govnah, maybe installing it back will solve the problem as well as upcoming update from Sconix Mode Switcher, trying SPK now for real quick
    When you are done with SPK make sure and verify your LunaSysMgr is back to it's original file. Instructions are back around pg 18 and following in this thread.
    where is the ipk to do the actual over clocking? i have uber and govnah installed but i can't find the actual overclocking file.. 0_o.. or do i not need it?
    Hindsight says "38 pages of forum... my question definitely already came up at some point."
    Quote Originally Posted by klubhead View Post
    where is the ipk to do the actual over clocking? i have uber and govnah installed but i can't find the actual overclocking file.. 0_o.. or do i not need it?
    If you have uber and govnah. All you need to do is open govnah, and change the governor to conservative max 800, min 500
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    If you have uber and govnah. All you need to do is open govnah, and change the governor to conservative max 800, min 500
    awesome man, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    When you are done with SPK make sure and verify your LunaSysMgr is back to it's original file. Instructions are back around pg 18 and following in this thread.
    Could not find exactly what i needed to do at page 18, what i did instead - opened WOSQI and downloaded from Web OS Internals feed Luna Manager and then did Luna restart. Did i do correct? and how do i check Luna Manager? and what consequences can be?
    Quote Originally Posted by fantomaas View Post
    Could not find exactly what i needed to do at page 18, what i did instead - opened WOSQI and downloaded from Web OS Internals feed Luna Manager and then did Luna restart. Did i do correct? and how do i check Luna Manager? and what consequences can be?
    Nope...

See Pg. 18 Post #358 by Rwhitby (near the end of the post) for method of checking if you have the proper lunasysmgr file

See Pg. 19 Post #366 by Pastorrich1 for quick summary to check your lunasysmgr file

See Pg. 20 Post #383 by Unixpsycho by for location to find the proper lunasysmgr file if you have the wrong one.

The discussion starts before Rod's post and continues well up through Unix post.

Installing Luna Manager doesn't do what you need.
    Can I use WebOS Quickinstall for this patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreG8ter View Post
    Can I use WebOS Quickinstall for this patch?
    No.

Technically it isn't a patch. It is a kernel replacement.
    No.

Technically it isn't a patch. It is a kernel replacement.
    I hear you. Thanks for the info. For some reason, I cannot get Preware to load even after updating my feeds.
    Rob,

I went though and checked my device and it seems that the numbers are way off for my Pre. I did have other Kernel's installed. Is there a way to get the correct settings short of Doctoring the phone?

Here is what I have.

root@palm-webos-device: grep LunaSysMgr /md5sums
    86c76b008d9812637d0cac6aea3b32ee *./usr/lib/libLunaSysMgrIpc.so
    af9f1883e7b1f07e479d120971e99c58 *./usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    cbc4e1c8da94d7c106dd3356d5455714 *./etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr
    root@palm-webos-device: md5sum /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    ca6a3981c382b01a559d7186742f1fe5 /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    root@palm-webos-device: grep PmNetConfigManager /md5sums
    5312e2e64a960450835a7f3c90293d0b *./usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    2edc15faf767d2c251559c9626e5703a *./etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    root@palm-webos-device: md5sum /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    2edc15faf767d2c251559c9626e5703a /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  12.    #752  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Rob,

I went though and checked my device and it seems that the numbers are way off for my Pre. I did have other Kernel's installed. Is there a way to get the correct settings short of Doctoring the phone?

Here is what I have.

root@palm-webos-device: grep LunaSysMgr /md5sums
    86c76b008d9812637d0cac6aea3b32ee *./usr/lib/libLunaSysMgrIpc.so
    af9f1883e7b1f07e479d120971e99c58 *./usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    cbc4e1c8da94d7c106dd3356d5455714 *./etc/event.d/LunaSysMgr
    root@palm-webos-device: md5sum /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    ca6a3981c382b01a559d7186742f1fe5 /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    root@palm-webos-device: grep PmNetConfigManager /md5sums
    5312e2e64a960450835a7f3c90293d0b *./usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    2edc15faf767d2c251559c9626e5703a *./etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    root@palm-webos-device: md5sum /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    2edc15faf767d2c251559c9626e5703a /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager
    (Assuming you're talking to me, Rod, not Rob)

I remember posting a list of md5sums from various webOS versions a while back - have you compared against that list as a double check?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    (Assuming you're talking to me, Rod, not Rob)

I remember posting a list of md5sums from various webOS versions a while back - have you compared against that list as a double check?

-- Rod
    Woops, Sorry Rod.

Yes looking at the list you posted from your PRE mine are not the same. So is there a way to correct them?
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  14. Xak
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    thank you! i'm gonna read all the steps and give it a go!

- Xak
    I'm one of those that did the 800Mhz overclocking before the ipk came out and before Super and Uberkernals. I really felt like I was getting better, faster performance, with better battery life (usually 20-40% left by 11pm) and no noticeable increase in heat.

I went to SuperKernal with CPUScaler Ultimate, and I noticed heat issues occasionally.

I went to Uber with Govnah and I have heat issues anytime I use GPS and charge at the same time or use BT and GPS etc. I ALSO notice that powersave and conservative seem very sluggish. On demand seems most efficient, but eats battery. I was down to about 30% by 5pm. That's almost 6 hours ahead of schedule. I will mention again, that my early adoption of 800Mhz overclocking never lead to this. I still got 16-18 hours on a charge. I am also killing my charge early, even if I have been charging in the car or at my desk.

Is there a magic bullet? Is there a setting that, for the majority, provides speed and long battery life? Because I swear the first time out, when I had to key a bunch of stuff into WebOS Quick Install to download the 800Mhz ssh (?) I got MUCH better performance. I'm actually considering going back to that, with CPUScaler Ultimate and seeing how I fair.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    I forgot to mention I switched to my 3rd pre recently d/t a problem with the phone/radio not working. I think my issue is the old loose battery issue. A piece of paper/cardboard should do the trick once again.
    Tried the cardboard and I think it's crashing less and so that might have been part of it (old slider loose battery issue) However, I still seem to get a crash whenever the battery dips <10-20%. Actually it seems rather consistent? Anyone with a similar issue?

I'm actually using 125 >> 500 or 250 >> 500. I'm only using 125 >> 800 when I need to show-off as for me I need max-battery life at the cost of speed. (Need to be able to go 12-14 hrs away from charger w/ moderate use...and I can do just that with this setup approx +2 hrs from previous setup).
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Woops, Sorry Rod.

Yes looking at the list you posted from your PRE mine are not the same. So is there a way to correct them?
    See Pg. 20 Post #383 by Unixpsycho by for location to find the proper lunasysmgr file if you have the wrong one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I'm one of those that did the 800Mhz overclocking before the ipk came out and before Super and Uberkernals. I really felt like I was getting better, faster performance, with better battery life (usually 20-40% left by 11pm) and no noticeable increase in heat.

I went to SuperKernal with CPUScaler Ultimate, and I noticed heat issues occasionally.

I went to Uber with Govnah and I have heat issues anytime I use GPS and charge at the same time or use BT and GPS etc. I ALSO notice that powersave and conservative seem very sluggish. On demand seems most efficient, but eats battery. I was down to about 30% by 5pm. That's almost 6 hours ahead of schedule. I will mention again, that my early adoption of 800Mhz overclocking never lead to this. I still got 16-18 hours on a charge. I am also killing my charge early, even if I have been charging in the car or at my desk.

Is there a magic bullet? Is there a setting that, for the majority, provides speed and long battery life? Because I swear the first time out, when I had to key a bunch of stuff into WebOS Quick Install to download the 800Mhz ssh (?) I got MUCH better performance. I'm actually considering going back to that, with CPUScaler Ultimate and seeing how I fair.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
    I was there too (with the .sh file and command line installation) and now I get similar performance as the first OC solution by running Performance 800/800 all the time. I have it saved as a profile called Static 800, so when I restart, it is three taps and I'm there.

But, I must say that originally I was fairly convinced there was a performance difference. The trouble was I wasn't comparing apples to apples. There are different apps out that I use more now than I did then plus when the scaler apps came out I started experimenting with different settings and getting varied results.

So now that I am running static 800 all the time, I get similar performance as I did then. If my use increases then my battery drains faster, if my use is light then my battery lasts all day and then some. But that is why I have touchstones everywhere I go. One on the nightstand, one on the desk, one in my car and am working on one for my Harley.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 05/27/2010 at 08:15 AM.
    Thanks! I'll try it. I generally do a lot of texting, some pretty compulsive email checking, some quick web searches, some very light calling, periodic photos (maybe once or twice a day) and not a lot else. Yet I manage to lose a lot of batter power. Even when I charge intermitantly. I now have the Naztech charging holster and I use up half it's power in just a few short hours, to keep my Pre charged (even with my car charger cgarging both).

I am at a loss... Why is CPU scaling not more useful? It seems that setting a low and high speed and letting the apps or processes grab what they need, in addition to the processor idle time, would save a ton of battery life. I know it helped me a lot in the early days. But not so much anymore.

By the way... Do you also use CPU Scaler ultimate or just Govnah?

Thanks again!

I was there too (with the .sh file and command line installation) and now I get similar performance as the first OC solution by running Performance 800/800 all the time. I have it saved as a profile called Static 800, so when I restart, it is three taps and I'm there.

But, I must say that originally I was fairly convinced there was a performance difference. The trouble was I wasn't comparing apples to apples. There are different apps out that I use more now than I did then plus when the scaler apps came out I started experimenting with different settings and getting varied results.

So now that I am running static 800 all the time, I get similar performance as I did then. If my use increases then my battery drains faster, if my use is light then my battery lasts all day and then some. But that is why I have touchstones everywhere I go. One on the nightstand, one on the desk, one in my car and am working on one for my Harley.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Thanks! I'll try it. I generally do a lot of texting, some pretty compulsive email checking, some quick web searches, some very light calling, periodic photos (maybe once or twice a day) and not a lot else. Yet I manage to lose a lot of batter power. Even when I charge intermitantly. I now have the Naztech charging holster and I use up half it's power in just a few short hours, to keep my Pre charged (even with my car charger cgarging both).

I am at a loss... Why is CPU scaling not more useful? It seems that setting a low and high speed and letting the apps or processes grab what they need, in addition to the processor idle time, would save a ton of battery life. I know it helped me a lot in the early days. But not so much anymore.

By the way... Do you also use CPU Scaler ultimate or just Govnah?

Thanks again!
    I only use Govnah. CPU Scaler has a service and services run in the background and can serve as a power leak. So I uninstalled both the app and service when I started using Uber and Govnah (I also Dr'd to make sure everything was clean).

My experience with scaling from low to high or even mid to high is that it actually created more heat (with SPK/CPU Scaler ultimate, Uber/CPU Scaler Ultimate and Uber/Govnah) which means more power consumption and less efficient operation, but others have indicated otherwise so IDK.

There's an entire theory surrounding the "rush to idle" concept of high static speeds getting to idle quicker and staying there longer because it performs everything faster. But I haven't followed it. I just know my experience seems to match it.