Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    You have to reboot your phone and then you should have the option to go to 800Mhz.
    This worked perfectly. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by cujaflow View Post
    This worked perfectly. Thank you!
    You're welcome, glad I could be of service. Enjoy!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    When ever I use screenstate after I set it close govnah an reopen it my setting says screenstate but is only running at 500 almost like it is stuck all other styles like userspace work fine.
    My screenstate mode doesn't work half of the time. I run 500->800 and it will clock down to but after a few minutes it gets stuck at 800 and my battery starts to drain too fast.

Any ideas on how I can fix it?

I've tried Restarts, Luna Restarts, and even uninstalling and reinstalling Govnah and UberKernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    My screenstate mode doesn't work half of the time. I run 500->800 and it will clock down to but after a few minutes it gets stuck at 800 and my battery starts to drain too fast.

Any ideas on how I can fix it?

I've tried Restarts, Luna Restarts, and even uninstalling and reinstalling Govnah and UberKernel.
    I too have same issue, i set my to screenstate, and at first it works fine but after a couple of seconds it goes back to 800 before i turn on the screen, then when i turn off the screen again, it continues to stay at 800. see image below:

Doesn't really bother me that much though, because i'm used to running 800mhz, always on, i just wish it would work because i hear such great things about it
    Last edited by 05typesdc5; 05/20/2010 at 09:03 AM.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    this is sooooooooooo coool thanks alot
    its amazing that a simple reboot will do that
    id like to see this out for the pixi
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

I know it's all perception but I feel like when I was running the 800mhz .ipk everything was a lot smoother. Now my phone is constantly locking up for several seconds and sometimes causing me to org+sym+r. Anyone else having these problems? It happens to me more now than ever before.
    For those that are using the Uber and Govnah, Why does it not stay in the same settings that I chose when selected and closed?

Am I missing a step after selecting and hitting apply setting?

How can I get it to stay put and not wake up to a different governor setting style?

I really loved the Super Kernel for this feature alone and found no reason to leave except that is was no longer being maintained and nor updated to the next OS1.4.1 ++++version
    Appreciate a solution or some incite on what to do next.
    Last edited by lem855; 05/20/2010 at 08:12 PM.
    I want to install this but previously I had installed the 800mhz patch, and when i tried to install this, it gave me an error saying

Code:
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    1 3341k 1 35952 0 0 123k 0 0:00:27 --:--:-- 0:00:27 146k
    52 3341k 52 1767k 0 0 1405k 0 0:00:02 0:00:01 0:00:01 1459k
    98 3341k 98 3291k 0 0 1458k 0 0:00:02 0:00:02 --:--:-- 1488k
    100 3341k 100 3341k 0 0 1402k 0 0:00:02 0:00:02 --:--:-- 1430k
    install
    Begin installation of org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    Installing org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre (1.4.1-21) to root...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst)
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.

How do I take the kernel back to stock?
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    I want to install this but previously I had installed the 800mhz patch, and when i tried to install this, it gave me an error saying

Code:
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    1 3341k 1 35952 0 0 123k 0 0:00:27 --:--:-- 0:00:27 146k
    52 3341k 52 1767k 0 0 1405k 0 0:00:02 0:00:01 0:00:01 1459k
    98 3341k 98 3291k 0 0 1458k 0 0:00:02 0:00:02 --:--:-- 1488k
    100 3341k 100 3341k 0 0 1402k 0 0:00:02 0:00:02 --:--:-- 1430k
    install
    Configuring org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst)
    mkdir-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    install-prerm
    Nothing Interesting.
    postinst
    -1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.postinst 2>&1
    Kernel confirmed to be compatible with this webOS version
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    Verification failed on /boot/uImage-2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/arch/arm/oprofile/oprofile.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/ecb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/crypto/pcbc.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/block/nbd.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/net/ifb.ko
    Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
    Device kernel is not in factory condition, refusing to install replacement
    remove
    Removing package org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre from root...
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-pre.prerm)
    delete
    Nothing Interesting.
    failed
    Nothing Interesting.

How do I take the kernel back to stock?
    all you have to do is download and install the stock kernal located under kernals in preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    all you have to do is download and install the stock kernal located under kernals in preware.
    The best way is to remove the file the same way you installed it. If you did it using the Linux command line then remove it using the command line. If you did it using WOSQI then remove it using WOSQI.

But the other kernel solution also had a modified lunasys manager file. You need to replace it as well.

There are instructions for it here on the forums. Even in this very thread back on page 18 I think, posted by RWhitby.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 05/20/2010 at 10:20 PM.
    Is there an issue with screenstate sticking at 800mhz? Mine worked for a while and not just runs 800mhz all the time. Conservative still works fine.
    Thanks, i got it installed
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic

RIP

Please forgive what is probably a repetitive line of questioning, but, let me know if I, in my layman's interpretation, have an understanding of what the different settings do...

I get the idea of "powersave". I presume it's focus is saving battery power, at the expense of speed.

So, is "conservative" slightly faster? Giving a broader scaling range, but keeping the sampling rate down?

Does "ondemand" actually presume to let the active apps and such dictate the need for speed or lack there-of? Are the apps that specific about what they need that they can ask the system for it? Does this vary based upon how many apps are open at a time and the requirements of those apps?

"Performance" I assume pulls out all the stops. The focus being on speed. But, the details seem to be very simplified. No sampling etc. shown. What does this mean? Is it all handled behind the scenes because it's not meant to be fiddled with? You want fast, with no thought to battery life etc., this is it?

"Screen State" I get. One speed when the screen is on, another when it's off. BUT... does this mean that the system is never actually idle, only running at the slower selected speed? Or just when processes are running with the screen off? And, with all the things the Pre can do, how do we choose the fixed state when the screen is off? Just pick 500Mhz because we know everything can run at that speed?

The one I don't get is "Userspace". Min speed, Max speed and Setspeed. what does it mean? What does it do? How does it affect performance and battery life?

Last but note least, here are a few random questions...

1) What are the best setting choices when you are doing things that produce heat? For instance, charging, using a BT headset AND using GPS?

2) When choosing settings, is there any value to choosing 125Mhz? Do any apps or processes actually run at that slow a speed unless instructed to artificially? How about 250Mhz?

3) I am still fixated on the idea that scaling is better than fixed rate, and that a broader range is better for performance and battery life. Is this true?

Thanks for all your time!

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The third generation of overclocking kernels for the Palm Pre/Pre+ has now arrived!

Uber-Kernel: Govnah:

The WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel now contains unixpsycho's revolutionary new "screenstate" governor.

The design and philosophy of the "screenstate" governor is very easy to understand:

Run fast when the screen is on.
    Run slow when the screen is off.

The "screenstate" governor runs the device at your maximum selected frequency when the screen is on (you can choose any frequency you like, but 550MHz, 600MHz, 720MHz or 800MHz are really the only ones that make sense), and scales the frequency back to 500MHz when the screen is off (including when on the touchstone with the screen locked display).

In the future, when we have solved the 125MHz hang-on-resume bug in Palm's kernel, we will allow selection of lower screen-off frequencies. Note that when the CPU is idle, the clocks are stopped completely, as is the case for all kernels for the Palm Pre.

The Govnah application will automatically sense the new governor that is available, and will make it available for your selection. If you are already running the Govnah application, you do not need a new version of Govnah - it's all automatic!

To install or update the Uber-Kernel, just make sure you are running the latest version of Preware or Preware Alpha, and then update your feeds and type "uber" on the main screen to find it. You can find the companion Govnah application the same way. No need for installation manuals or cinematic videos, just click to install in Preware and you're done.

See http://bit.ly/uber-screenstate for the official PreCentral WebOS Internals sub-forum thread discussing the Uber-Kernel and Govnah.

If you are running another overclocking solution, you will need to uninstall it before being able to install the Uber-Kernel - there are safety checks to ensure that your kernel files are in a pristine state before the Uber-Kernel will install. You should use the uninstall instructions for the other overclocking solution you are using, but as a last resort you can use the Palm Kernel package in Preware to restore your kernel files to pristine state.

WebOS Internals will continue to develop next generation overclocking solutions - the new "screenstate" governor is just the beginning!

If you're not familiar with the Govnah application, some screenshots are below. You will notice that they show the internal CPU temperature sensor that can be found in the Uber-Kernel (not the thermally distant battery temperature sensor), and also some of the 6 governors (userspace, conservative, powersave, ondemand, performance, screenstate) available in the Uber-Kernel which can all be controlled by the Govnah application.

For GPL compliance purposes, the source code for this kernel can be found in the kernels/patches.git repository at git.webos-internals.org - those patches apply (as embodied in the automated build process) against the upstream Linux 2.6.24 kernel and the Palm kernel patches hosted at opensource.palm.com (and mirrored on sources.nslu2-linux.org/sources to ensure continued GPL compliance even if Palm removes their site). The build infrastructure can be found in the preware/build.git repository at git.webos-internals.org and we encourage other developers to build their own kernels to verify the transparency of our build process for security trust verification.

-- Rod
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  17.    #697  
    AT&T Palm Pre Plus overclocking (UberKernel & Govnah) is now available in Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    AT&T Palm Pre Plus overclocking (UberKernel & Govnah) is now available in Preware.

-- Rod
    wow that was fast!!

-- Rod

Great Job Rod! I am sure the AT&T community will be thrilled (although most probably won't read any posts prior to this page).

-- Rod

Thanks Rod. Thanks for all the awesome stuff you do for the community.