Page 32 of 56 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    After setting it to 800, did you tap the "Apply Settings" button? Nothing activates just by selecting it from the drop-downs. You have to Apply them too.

M.
    I sure did
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    UNIXPSYCO- thought I'd drop you a note - something weird seems to be happening on my Palm. I don't usually EVER restart, but have recently- and for the third time noticed that on 'resart' the GV settings 'default' to "userstate." However the more amazing thing is the settings show up as 800/125Mhz...something I thought was just not possible w/UK? Not to worried but was wondering if I should be...anyway, haven't been on the board much since about page 18 or so. Have the 1.4.1-16 UK installed, and apart from this seems to running fine...any thoughts?
    been reading this post, as much as I can...its getting very long.

I have a simple, relatively nontechnical question re: uberkernal and govnah.

After I install them, try them out, and decide for whatever reason I dont want it anymore....after I delete them, will they leave any "residue" on my phone that may affect its function in the future, ie when the next webos version comes out...

guess this also applies if I decide to keep it, and when the web os 1.4.5 comes out (though I realize this may be an eternity on VZW) i know it has to be removed...will this have any consequences?

my pre plus is my brain, literally, and cant imagine being without it...so I want to make sure I can atleast test this out with an option of getting it off my phone if I choose to.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    been reading this post, as much as I can...its getting very long.

I have a simple, relatively nontechnical question re: uberkernal and govnah.

After I install them, try them out, and decide for whatever reason I dont want it anymore....after I delete them, will they leave any "residue" on my phone that may affect its function in the future, ie when the next webos version comes out...

guess this also applies if I decide to keep it, and when the web os 1.4.5 comes out (though I realize this may be an eternity on VZW) i know it has to be removed...will this have any consequences?

my pre plus is my brain, literally, and cant imagine being without it...so I want to make sure I can atleast test this out with an option of getting it off my phone if I choose to.

thanks
    No traces whatsoever, the Kernel installer makes a backup of anything it overwrites, and restores it on uninstall, and Govnah is an app, you uninstall it and it goes away

This is the great thing about having the Kernels install as ipk files, they can be uninstalled with no problems

Try the overclocking kernels, you won't regret it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsroufe View Post
    Had this problem after i installed unixpsycho's latest beta kernel, um, about 10 minutes ago.
    shut down and did a battery pull, now Im going down to 125MHz with the screen off. You may just need to do a hard reset. but i just do battery pulls sometimes to make sure.
    After doing the battery pull, the kernel did the 125-800 screenstate switch, but for some reason today it started to switch between 500Mhz and 800Mhz again, even with scaling_min_freq set to 125000. It fixes itself after a battery pull.

This is really weird, Marco, could be that you're not reading the "right" min freq value when turning the screen off? Because, as I said, the value is 125000.

Also, if I set the min freq to 720000, it does scale between 720 and 800 screenstateside. But, if I set it again to 125000, it only goes to 500000 w/screen off. This is the same kernel I was running yesterday.... Ideas??
    finally took the plunge. Installed both uberkernal and govnah via preware. Instalation went without a hitch. Set it to "screenstate" 500-800, clicked apply. Didn't notice much of a speed bump except with loading 3d games- tennis, superKO, and asphalt 5. Then tried the "performance" setting and it was FAST, especially email and the calender. However phone did get hotter than usual. So...why the big diff in speed? Seems like most folks are set at screenstate. If you don't play 3D games, is there any real speed gain or benefit? Why not leave it at performance?

again I'm a newbie to overclocking so excuse me if I'm asking silly q's.

btw, please see my "buy an app" post for June 6.

thans
    do settings stick on reboot yet? that's the only thing I'm waiting for since uberscalerultimate and original 800.ipk are working just fine for me especially since I use preset reset every night.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    i know it has probably been mentioned, but 32 pages is alot to go through. is this safe to keep installed when a new webos update comes available, or do we have to remove it first?
    Quote Originally Posted by bog3nator View Post
    i know it has probably been mentioned, but 32 pages is alot to go through. is this safe to keep installed when a new webos update comes available, or do we have to remove it first?
    It is OTA safe so the answer is no. Just set the governor to userspace before the update as a precaution. There will prob be an update to the app after the OTA update though.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    After doing the battery pull, the kernel did the 125-800 screenstate switch, but for some reason today it started to switch between 500Mhz and 800Mhz again, even with scaling_min_freq set to 125000. It fixes itself after a battery pull.

This is really weird, Marco, could be that you're not reading the "right" min freq value when turning the screen off? Because, as I said, the value is 125000.

Also, if I set the min freq to 720000, it does scale between 720 and 800 screenstateside. But, if I set it again to 125000, it only goes to 500000 w/screen off. This is the same kernel I was running yesterday.... Ideas??
    happened to me too today. a normal hard reset (no battery pull) fixed the issue. not sure what put it in the 500-800 scaling mode. been using normally for the last several hours and havent been able to replicate it.
    I have loaded UK and Govnah and have the 2600 Phat Battery as well as the factory battery. I have found performance to be a good setting...have experimented with conservative and that works as well.

I have had some performance issues in email (delete message) and in launch of facebook app...also the universal search doesn't automatically go to google (have to hit "find" before I get the search options).

Still trying it, and like the speed, but wonder about these relatively minor issues. Have done luna restart and battery pull restart.

Any other ideas, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Todd
    Centro/PRE-Sprint
    ok I set my govenor setting to screenstate. It is set to min freq - 125 mhz and max freq - 800 mhz. Do I need to tweak these settings? Sorry this whole thread is like reading greek.
    change the min freq to 500, the phone will perform better and be more reliable
    typically what temp should be showing? Mine is running between 37 and 42.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post

ok, i think i was able to replicate this problem after i installed a patch and did a luna restart. once again a hard reset fixed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    change the min freq to 500, the phone will perform better and be more reliable
    thanks pip smith! I don't want to fry my phone! Any other "safe" tweaks?

I tried replying to you in my original thread but it wasn't working. Glad I got to you here!
    do you really mean a "hard" reset or just a reset? I remember from my treo days that a "hard" reset was a total wipe back to factory settings, if this is indeed the case I just want to be sure I am clear on what may be required.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    oh sorry. I was using the term hard reset to mean a device restart. And soft reset meaning a luna restart
    Quote Originally Posted by enzie5454 View Post

I don't necessarily know what they should be but my phone runs at that range when I'm using it for several task/heavy usage. (I run at 800MHz/500Mhz via the Screenstate governor.) At low/no use times it is as low as 20. From what I've read anything close to or above 50 would be considered the 'danger' zone.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by enzie5454 View Post
    You might also find this thread interesting concerning heat/temp questions.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2454976

Generally no matter what your overclock settings heavy data d/l seems to be the easiest way to drive temps up.

To get a good baseline temperature you can run Govnah and not overclock your phone to see what it's 'normal' operating range is for your specific device/usage. Just select the Userspace governor and set it for 500MHz.

-