Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1118
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilinMichael View Post
    Can you list benefits of the 1.4.1.1 (or 1.4.1) kernel over the 1.4.0? I know that internal CPU temperature reading is one, but what are the others? I'm trying to see what benefits there are of this.
    They are listed earlier in this thread. See http://bit.ly/next-gen-kernels for more details as well.

    Also, I notice Uberkernel is shown in my apps...is that supposed to be?
    Yes. In the future you will be able to orange+tap to uninstall it (you can do so now if you used Preware Alpha to install it).

    Oh and everytime I reboot, even though I've hit save a million times, screenstate setting is 125/800. Figured you might want to know this bug. I keep saving it at 500/800. What's the point of save if it does not save? LOL
    That is also explained earlier in this thread. It is intentional.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Does on TouchStone screenoff count as screen on or screen off?
    Screen off. But if you bring the screen back on while still on the touchstone it should immediately ramp up to your desired max frequency.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    So what happens to clock speed while in screen off mode BUT doing exchange sync and the 5min polling used by Youview for voicemail checking. will it stay at 500mhz or scale to 800mhz even though the screen is off.
    If the screen is off the CPU will run at 500MHz. This is default speed for Palm Pre devices out of the Box.
    Live free or DIE!
  4.    #44  
    Welcome to Marco (unixpsycho), the man behind the code for the new screenstate governor.

    He's also the person who found and ported the original first-generation overclocking patch, and the person who built the webOS 1.4.0 kernel binary that has been embedded in many different scripts and packages and Super PreKernel applications since it was built almost two months ago.

    Now that he's here, I can get some sleep

    We really hope that those who have read and understood the first few pages of this thread and are using Uber-Kernel successfully can make the effort to join in and help those who come later ... we'd like this to be a two-way street where members of the community step in and help other members of the community.

    Thanks! and good-night (it's 1am here now).

    -- Rod (GMT+9:30, Adelaide, Australia)
    Last edited by rwhitby; 05/01/2010 at 10:19 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #45  
    So far I'm liking it, thanks for the answers...and good job!
  6. #46  
    Hmmm... anyone else seeing this?
    Runs at 800 when on, switches to 500 when the screen dims prior to turning off, but then switches back to 800 when it turns off and stays at 800. (Watching that via ssh).

    I removed the previous uber-kernal; installed new; rebooted.
    Then switched to 'screenstate' (500/800).
    I've even rebooted with a fresh set to 'screenstate' (via upstart script in /etc/event.d).

    Here's some captures of CPU data:

    Screen active:
    11:21:24 up 9 min, 1 user, load average: 11.35, 3.92, 1.56
    Governor: screenstate CPUtemp: 27
    cpuinfo cur/max/min: 800000/800000/125000
    scaling cur/max/min: 800000/800000/500000
    Time in state: 5 transitions
    800000 23393
    720000 0
    600000 1
    550000 2843
    500000 2396
    250000 0
    125000 0

    Screen dims:
    11:22:21 up 10 min, 1 user, load average: 4.96, 3.33, 1.48
    Governor: screenstate CPUtemp: 30
    cpuinfo cur/max/min: 500000/800000/125000
    scaling cur/max/min: 500000/800000/500000
    Time in state: 6 transitions
    800000 28314
    720000 0
    600000 1
    550000 2843
    500000 2455
    250000 0
    125000 0

    Screen went off:
    11:22:42 up 10 min, 1 user, load average: 3.55, 3.11, 1.45
    Governor: screenstate CPUtemp: 30
    cpuinfo cur/max/min: 800000/800000/125000
    scaling cur/max/min: 800000/800000/500000
    Time in state: 7 transitions
    800000 28338
    720000 0
    600000 1
    550000 2843
    500000 4517
    250000 0
    125000 0

    Three minutes later after no activity on Pre itself:
    11:25:33 up 13 min, 1 user, load average: 3.27, 3.06, 1.44
    Governor: screenstate CPUtemp: 28
    cpuinfo cur/max/min: 800000/800000/125000
    scaling cur/max/min: 800000/800000/500000
    Time in state: 7 transitions
    800000 28645
    720000 0
    600000 1
    550000 2843
    500000 4517
    250000 0
    125000 0
  7. #47  
    I couldn't get the kernel to update through Preware Alpha... had to uninstall the uber-kernel, install the palm webOS kernel, then reinstall the uber-kernel..

    Is that normal or did something get screwed up on my Pre?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by pslag1 View Post
    Hmmm... anyone else seeing this?
    Runs at 800 when on, switches to 500 when the screen dims prior to turning off, but then switches back to 800 when it turns off and stays at 800. (Watching that via ssh).

    I removed the previous uber-kernal; installed new; rebooted.
    Then switched to 'screenstate' (500/800).
    I've even rebooted with a fresh set to 'screenstate' (via upstart script in /etc/event.d).
    What is your question exactly? You pasted alot of data.
    Live free or DIE!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I couldn't get the kernel to update through Preware Alpha... had to uninstall the uber-kernel, install the palm webOS kernel, then reinstall the uber-kernel..

    Is that normal or did something get screwed up on my Pre?
    Something probably went amiss but it doesnt hurt to install the Palm kernel to fix any problem, then install UberKernel.
    Live free or DIE!
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Something probably went amiss but it doesnt hurt to install the Palm kernel to fix any problem, then install UberKernel.
    That is what my guess was... glad it errors out though! I'd rather spend a few extra minutes using the stock kernel patch to throw it back to stock then install the updated uber-kernel (which is exactly what I did) than to have to doctor my pre and reinstall all my crap!

    So far so good!!
  11. #51  
    Hello, I have a question.. how do you install this governor?
  12. #52  
    Sorry...

    Asking if anyone is seeing this:

    Runs at 800 when on, switches to 500 when the screen dims prior to turning off, but then switches back to 800 when it turns off and stays at 800.
  13. Tedcas's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hello, I have a question.. how do you install this governor?
    It is in Preware, search for it under 'List of Everything'. i had a bit of trouble with this, as I was under the impression it installed alongside the kernel-
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by pslag1 View Post
    Hmmm... anyone else seeing this?
    Runs at 800 when on, switches to 500 when the screen dims prior to turning off, but then switches back to 800 when it turns off and stays at 800. (Watching that via ssh).
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    What is your question exactly? You pasted alot of data.
    It sounds like he's asking why it switches back to 800 when the screen is off. Shouldn't it be at 500?
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Hello, I have a question.. how do you install this governor?
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Live free or DIE!
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    I couldn't get the kernel to update through Preware Alpha... had to uninstall the uber-kernel, install the palm webOS kernel, then reinstall the uber-kernel..

    Is that normal or did something get screwed up on my Pre?
    I had to do the same thing.. I'm glad the Pre-compiled stock kernel was available in Preware!
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    My understanding is that while the screen is off, the CPU will either be sleeping at 0MHz or running at 500MHz, but I will defer to Marco for the definitive answer on that.
    I went digging through the ARM architecture documents last night and compared and contrasted with the source code. From my understanding, what happens is the system powers off until an interrupt is received (usually gp timer, but hitting the power button will also do it), and then the necessary parts of the system are powered up; for example, the Wifi driver might have a packet that needs processing. In that case the CPU (ARM people please disregard this simplification) would be woken up and will run at scaling_cur_frequency, which with Marco's patch would generally be 500MHz. After the work is done the system powers back down again.

    In my (admittedly simplistic) measurements, the biggest power draw for a system actively in use is the screen. Running the screen at minimum brightness will save more power in active use than anything else that comes to mind. Second is the radios (Wifi and cellular), CPU (MPU) and supporting chips are a distant third. Anyone wanting to run off battery as long as possible will find the best power saving from running the display at minimum brightness.

    Cheers, Steve
  18. #58  
    Sorry for referring to another thread, i think it belongs here, as unixpsycho is also reading this thread.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2416518

    I experience _inverted_ screenstate behaviour with the new UberKernel and Govnah set to screenstate (500/800). Device is at 800MHz with screen off, and at 500MHz with screen on. I had the compcache-Kernel installed before, and it did the scaling as expected. All the details are in the above post. Sorry for this. Perhaps this goes hand in hand with the other guy in this thread that has the device running at 800MHz all the time after first wakeup?

    I am willing to help you developers with any data you might need, i can SSH into my device, and so on...

    Stefan
  19. #59  
    Just out of interest, is 800Mhz, the maximum we can expect from Uber-Kernal development? is >800Mhz actually advantageous? or will our pre's just fry? I know their is a 'sweetspot' with cpu hardware cofigs, but is this it?
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    I went digging through the ARM architecture documents last night and compared and contrasted with the source code. From my understanding, what happens is the system powers off until an interrupt is received (usually gp timer, but hitting the power button will also do it), and then the necessary parts of the system are powered up; for example, the Wifi driver might have a packet that needs processing. In that case the CPU (ARM people please disregard this simplification) would be woken up and will run at scaling_cur_frequency, which with Marco's patch would generally be 500MHz. After the work is done the system powers back down again.

    In my (admittedly simplistic) measurements, the biggest power draw for a system actively in use is the screen. Running the screen at minimum brightness will save more power in active use than anything else that comes to mind. Second is the radios (Wifi and cellular), CPU (MPU) and supporting chips are a distant third. Anyone wanting to run off battery as long as possible will find the best power saving from running the display at minimum brightness.

    Cheers, Steve
    Well said Steve.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions