Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    On the "getting to stick" issue, which is one reason I'm remaining with the older overclock solutions for now, I wonder if Mode Switcher app ([url]http://m.forums.precentral.net/ provides a potential path to solution?

You can set a time of day trigger (sometime after a daily reboot, for instance), and can have auto launch/open and close of Govnah, but need some way to define parameters to select/start a Govnah saved profile...
    Getting thesettings to survive a reboot is "trvial". It's just a upstart script in /etc/event.d. The issue is "What happens when it *doesn't* work?". What happens when the User makes some crazy settings (accidental or other wise) that lock the phone in a dump and reboot cycle? How would the User get back in and undo the settings? *THAT* is what the issue is.

M.
    could you set a delay on applying the settings? 60 seconds after a reboot they get applied automatically.

Or what about a notification popup (A nice big one like the alarm) with auto apply govnah profile Yes / No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Getting thesettings to survive a reboot is "trvial". It's just a upstart script in /etc/event.d. The issue is "What happens when it *doesn't* work?". What happens when the User makes some crazy settings (accidental or other wise) that lock the phone in a dump and reboot cycle? How would the User get back in and undo the settings? *THAT* is what the issue is.

M.
    Which is why something like a timed/auto launch could be good workaround, no? The device has already rebooted (in the apply after auto-reboot scenario) and only then is Govnah opened and profile applied, no different than if the user is physically opening and using the program him/herself.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by mr71mb0 View Post
    Or what about a notification popup (A nice big one like the alarm) with auto apply govnah profile Yes / No.
    This seems to be the best idea so far. In fact, this user here thinks that it just might be the best possible way to go about doing things.

Directly upon boot, a notification pops up: "Welcome! Your most recent Govnah settings were: Conservative 550-720. Would you like to resume running your device at these speeds? [YES] [NO]", with the true previous settings in place, of course.

When you tap yes, the settings are applied. When you tap no, the kernel keeps running at stock speed.

Would that be possible to implement? It would certainly be convenient, easy to use, hard to 'forget', and would make vicious reboot cycles as a result of incompatible settings impossible. I'm not a developer, but couldn't this be done with a service set to run once upon startup and automatically closing itself afterward? If Govnah dumped its settings into a file somewhere on the disk, the service could check for these settings, display them in a user-friendly way (just giving min/max values and no other details) and, in case the user taps YES, apply the settings before killing itself.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 05/13/2010 at 11:09 AM.
    Are you folk having to restart your Pre often? I'm not. And when I do, running at 500 for a while is no big deal. It is easy enough to change.
    Thinking about switching to Uber-kernel, but have a few questions. I am not a heavy user, have a 2600 battery, and presently have the 800mhz superkernel installed with no CPU Scaler. Tried the scaler, have better performance without it. I can sometimes go 2 days before having to charge my battery. I like the way my phone runs now, but I like the idea of having an UPDATED and SUPPORTED kernel. So-can I run the uber-kernel without govenah or CPU scaler like I presently do? What speed does the uber-kernel run at and does it idle down when not in use (like at night)? I'm anxious to try it, but just need some clarification. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Are you folk having to restart your Pre often? I'm not. And when I do, running at 500 for a while is no big deal. It is easy enough to change.
    I do an auto-restart (there are a couple of different apps for this) every morning. It may be partly out of habit from old POS and WinMo Treos, but find fewer issues when start fresh each day....
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    if i remember correctly, i get random luna restarts everytime i install, remove, anything from preware (or make any changes)...i look at jstop after and half the memory (email, messaging, phone) is all gone
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    if i remember correctly, i get random luna restarts everytime i install, remove, anything from preware (or make any changes)...i look at jstop after and half the memory (email, messaging, phone) is all gone
    I have noticed the same thing. Most if not all of my random restarts always occur at some point after I have used Preware. I don't get that many random restarts but I don't use a lot of applications.

Maybe you should do a luna restart after every time you use Preware and see if you notice the random restarts decreasing in frequency.
    Quote Originally Posted by ediggity View Post
    I have noticed the same thing. Most if not all of my random restarts always occur at some point after I have used Preware. I don't get that many random restarts but I don't use a lot of applications.

Maybe you should do a luna restart after every time you use Preware and see if you notice the random restarts decreasing in frequency.
    thats exactly wut i do from now on... i always do a manual luna restart after using preware and havent noticed one random luna restart ever since doing this...so a lot of these issues (for me) have to do with preware
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I use Preset Resest to reset my phone every few days, but i'm also using Mode Switcher. I have Mode Switcher set up to open Govnah whenever my phone boots up. It doesn't reload my previous settings, but I can with a couple of taps on that screen. This way I won't forget to push it back up to 800mhz.

The developer of Mode Switcher mentioned that in the future we should be able to load a profile from Govnah using Mode Switcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr71mb0 View Post
    could you set a delay on applying the settings? 60 seconds after a reboot they get applied automatically.

I posted a similar suggestion here but got no response.
    Wow, I need to really read through this full thread. Switched over to uber/govnah this morning from standalone IPK overclock and my battery life was absolutely *hammered* today (and Govnah wasn't left open). Don't know why such big difference, especially because I worked from home and didn't have usual 1hour of streaming radio in a.m. I went from 100% at 8a.m. to 10% by 2pm; I'm usually at 40% when leaving work @ 5pm....
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
  14.    #574  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    You might want to take a look at http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2449615 - it turns out that the broken email, messaging, phone, etc can be proved to be a bug in webOS and can be triggered from the command line without ever running Preware.

We're trying to think of ways that we can still get the icon rescan to occur without having to call the buggy webOS service.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Wow, I need to really read through this full thread. Switched over to uber/govnah this morning from standalone IPK overclock and my battery life was absolutely *hammered* today (and Govnah wasn't left open). Don't know why such big difference, especially because I worked from home and didn't have usual 1hour of streaming radio in a.m. I went from 100% at 8a.m. to 10% by 2pm; I'm usually at 40% when leaving work @ 5pm....
    It's not just you. With Uber I've gotten no where near the kind of battery savings I was with SPK with the same settings. I'd go back to SPK but it's an "old" kernel. Currently I've gone back to Palm's Kernel to save some battery. I just run it at 600.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    it turns out that the broken email, messaging, phone, etc can be proved to be a bug in webOS and can be triggered from the command line without ever running Preware.
    This may be a dumb question but has anyone submitted a bug report to the Palm developers?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Download my latest test kernel, or wait for the OTA kernel-testing feed.

The Touchstone and the power management of the Pre is going to be the death of me.
    Thanks! This is best kernel so far for me. just what i need. i love being able to go down to 125MHz when the phone is not in use, no freezing on my phone. will definitely save some wear and tear on the cpu. so far working great and battery life is improved also with my short amount of testing so far.
    rwhitby, you sir are a freaking genious!!!!!
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Has anyone suggested the following feaure:

When CPU temp reaches a critical level, the clock speed should automatically revert to default 500Mhz.
    Have been using this at 500 800 from the first day. Love it. almost no problems. thank you this kernnal is awsomem...