Page 26 of 56 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I have seen lots of posts where others recommend not scaling below 500 to alleviate some of the things you mentioned.

I personally run Uber and Govna at performance 800 min/max and am not currently any issues with anything including the camera hang (since -21). Currently my Pre runs as fast and smooth as it ever did with SPK.

If you haven't already done it, you might try a visit to the Dr. just to make sure everything is clean as a whistle when you re-install everything.
    Thanks! I know it's all about finding what works best for our individual processors.

I went back through all my installs and discovered the Super Kernel Service (Not SuperKernel itself, but the required service) was still installed. This may have been having an effect (I don't know enough to know better).

Of course, now that I've backed everything off, and I am ready to put stuff back on, I can't find UberKernel in Preware. Though I did find SuperKernel. Any suggestions?

Also, I understand that the processor turns off at rest, and many are using 500-800Mhz or just straight 720 or 800Mhz settings, because the system works faster and then races to idle. But, are there any apps or functions that would take advantage of the lower clock speeds (125Mhz or 250Mhz) if they were available? Is there still an actual value in having these speeds available to reduce temperature and preserve battery life?

Thanks again!

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  2.    #502  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Since there's no separate thread for it anywhere that I could find, the stock Palm recovery kernel isn't working for me.

It's giving an ipkg error:
    Code:
    Fatal error occurred, unable to create backup tarball
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst: cd: line 22: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernel.palm-kernel-pre/additional_files
    find: boot: No such file or directory
    find: lib: No such file or directory
    tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
    Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.
    Fixed in the 1.4.1-3 version of Palm Kernel.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    iv come across a little issue. Doc'ed my pre to 1.4 just to start off fresh since i previously had 800mhz. I got the latest alpha preware, already installed/added the testing feeds, and I cannot find uber-kernel anywhere. Can someone advice me on this please.

"To install or update the Uber-Kernel, just make sure you are running the latest version of Preware or Preware Alpha, and then update your feeds and type "uber" on the main screen to find it. You can find the companion Govnah application the same way. No need for installation manuals or cinematic videos, just click to install in Preware and you're done."
  4.    #504  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetzlegend View Post
    iv come across a little issue. Doc'ed my pre to 1.4 just to start off fresh since i previously had 800mhz. I got the latest alpha preware, already installed/added the testing feeds, and I cannot find uber-kernel anywhere.
    Are you running Preware 1.0.0 ? http://bit.ly/preware-1

UberKernel is in the default webos-kernels feed that is installed as part of Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Are you running Preware 1.0.0 ? http://bit.ly/preware-1

UberKernel is in the default webos-kernels feed that is installed as part of Preware.

-- Rod
    This is what I installed: PrewareAlphaInstaller-0.9.56.jar

Installing 1.0 now.

EDIT, got 1.0 now, everything looking good!

Now once i set for example to PERFORMANCE 800 125, Do I have to do it everytime I restart the phone, or will it be permanent.?
    Last edited by streetzlegend; 05/10/2010 at 12:25 AM.
    OnDemand works great!
    loving 500 to 800 screenstate . No problems at all .
    So far, after more continued testing, I'm finding that "Powersave" and locking min and max at 800 is getting me the minimal battery (idle) battery drain similar to what I was seeing with the SPK. Today is the real test, though, as it's a work day. :-/

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    So far, after more continued testing, I'm finding that "Powersave" and locking min and max at 800 is getting me the minimal battery (idle) battery drain similar to what I was seeing with the SPK. Today is the real test, though, as it's a work day. :-/

M.
    Had the same observation over the weekend with performance min 500 max 800 (which run at 800). Had as little as 2.08% of battery drain on idle (1400Mamp battery)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Uber-Kernel is set to only install onto pristine files....therefore I would guess that your replacement pre has been 'patched' at some point.

The fix for this is to install the /Preware/Kernels/Recovery/Palm Kernel (Pre/Pre+) v1.4.1-2. Click on the Install and wait for the download to unpack and install itself.

You will now be prompted to reboot....DON'T.....now just go back to where Uber-Kernel is located in Preware and click on Install. The install should now work as the kernel files have now been re-written back to a pristine state. Click on Restart and when the phone comes back up everything will be working properly. (Don't forget to set Govnah or CPUstate to your preferred settings)
    Thanks ALOT.

When I tried following your dircetions on Saturday I was not able to download the Recovery Kernal either. like the jhoff80 said:

Fatal error occurred, unable to create backup tarball
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst: cd: line 22: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernel.palm-kernel-pre/additional_files
    find: boot: No such file or directory
    find: lib: No such file or directory
    tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
    Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.

After I updated Preware to 1.0 everything worked perfectly.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me Govna was telling me I was running at 800 when I didnt have the Uber installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by streetzlegend View Post
    Now once i set for example to PERFORMANCE 800 125, Do I have to do it everytime I restart the phone, or will it be permanent.?
    It will not be permanent/persistent across a reboot.

From Post #35 in this now very long thread Rod (rwhitby) explains it this way:

"Once we have devised a fail-safe method of making sure that an overclocking failure caused by running your CPU outside of it's guaranteed specification limits does not put you into a reboot loop where you need to doctor your phone to recover it, then we will implement that solution for saving the CPU scaling parameter settings across a reboot."

More info in post #460 as well and in the Wiki page : webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:UberKernel
    hi

first of all thank u for that great feature!!!

ive got one question. Do i hav to run govnah all the time or can i close it after setting up?

greetz
    notebuck
    Do you have a quick guide on how each governor works? Thanks.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notebuck View Post
    hi

first of all thank u for that great feature!!!

ive got one question. Do i hav to run govnah all the time or can i close it after setting up?

greetz
    notebuck
    As long as you press "Apply settings" you can swipe that baby off the screen and the settings you chose will stick until the next reboot. thorne
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Do you have a quick guide on how each governor works? Thanks.
    Info here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...veGovernor.htm

http://www.pantz.org/software/cpufre...eqonlinux.html
    @ Rod and WebOS Internals team

Thanks for the profile support in Govnah! It make it so easy and fast to set your preferred speeds after a phone restart or for certain usage patterns.

Great feature and great work.
    well that's weird. Phone just did a random restart and now I only have two governor choices... userspace or ondemand. Max frequency allowed is 600.
    Preware indicated there was an update earlier today so I installed that, and now this.
    Will try to uninstall and reinstall I guess, unless someone can offer up better solution
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    @ Rod and WebOS Internals team

Thanks for the profile support in Govnah! It make it so easy and fast to set your preferred speeds after a phone restart or for certain usage patterns.

Great feature and great work.
    yes it is and I believe this will open up a way for them to load profiles on bootup which would be cool
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    well, not sure what happened or why, but had to uninstall and reinstall uber kernal and govnor.. all is once again wonderful