Page 25 of 56 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
  1.    #481  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Release -21 does appear to have whipped the camera back into shape, at least with just a four pic test.

I'm curious what the issue was?
    It seems that there is a hardware errata for the chip which stops the video acceleration block from working correctly when overclocked. So Marco worked out how to not overclock just that block.

There was a hint to this in a comment in the Palm source code patch.

This issue would be present in all previous overclocking solutions too.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Two days ago I ran at the default 500 MHz all day just to establish a benchmark from it to the fixed 800 MHz I like to run. The actual time difference for opening a given app is minimal but the percentage of speed increase is close to 100%. And without question my Pre was more stable with the Performance 800 MHz Min/Max than it was in the default boot up config of 500. Same basic use pattern for both days, Music Player remix, a number of phone calls, text messages, emails, a few trips out to Preware Alpha to check for updates and new apps, a couple of app updates, test use of the camera, a little web surfing and a few stops in the Govnah to check the proc. temp.

Govnah v0.2.5
    Uber Kernel v1.4.1-16

500 MHz time for most apps to open = 2 seconds (pulse or glow around the icon on the card while the app loads = ~ 1 second).
    Two hang on wakeup with Luna Restart on each, one phone offline random issue that required a shutdown and restart, and overall not very smooth launcher operation all day.

800 MHz time for most apps to open = 1 second or less (phone and email open instantly with no loading card at all)
    One hang on wakeup but no restart. Very smooth and snappy response with launcher and apps loading all day.

Battery consumption and temperature were about the same for both days.

Camera had a single screen pause with both settings at about 3-5 seconds after opening but then operated normally.

That's about it.
    I'll definitely try the 800 min/max. Sounds good pastorrich1.
    All good over here. I like the innovative idea of having the device at 500MHz while not in use (with display off) and at 800MHz when using it. Congratulations for the great job and of course, estimates Unixpsycho and Caj2008 (Jeff and Marco), without them this would not have been possible.
    2 days now and working good . No problems yet . Will continue testing throughout next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It seems that there is a hardware errata for the chip which stops the video acceleration block from working correctly when overclocked. So Marco worked out how to not overclock just that block.

There was a hint to this in a comment in the Palm source code patch.

This issue would be present in all previous overclocking solutions too.

-- Rod
    No doubt it was there all along. But I don't use my camera very often, so I never saw it and never thought to check it until I saw folks mentioning it. Funny how a problem isn't really a problem until somebody notices it.

Great work guys.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I've been running govnah & Uber-Kernel and the one thing i'm curious about and on my Pre right now and don't want to go through 25 pages...

Does or will Govnah ever stick & "always" show the temp? I thought it would always show me the temps, not only after you open the govnah app.
  7.    #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    I've been running govnah & Uber-Kernel and the one thing i'm curious about and on my Pre right now and don't want to go through 25 pages...

Does or will Govnah ever stick & "always" show the temp? I thought it would always show me the temps, not only after you open the govnah app.
    A dashboard mode is under development.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    No you're not. screenstate code does not allow the min CPU speed to be set. it is static at 500Mhz.
    Interesting....if that's the case, can the GUI in Govnah be changed so that it doesn't give people the false impression that they can change it?

In other words, if you open up Govnah to the screenstate settings, the Min Freq has a drop down box with all the frequencies listed, so people may think that they can actually change the min frequency.

Thanks for all the great work you are doing!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Interesting....if that's the case, can the GUI in Govnah be changed so that it doesn't give people the false impression that they can change it?

In other words, if you open up Govnah to the screenstate settings, the Min Freq has a drop down box with all the frequencies listed, so people may think that they can actually change the min frequency.

Thanks for all the great work you are doing!
    I believe that's called future proofing.
    I've noticed a lot more in the way of black screen freezes, spontaneous reboots, and overheats with Govnah and UK than with the original 800Mhz OC (before the easy IPK download) and before SK w/ CPU Scaler Ultimate. I played with different configs, staying in Powersave when I wasn't going to be doing much, but finding OnDemand to be the most useful, as it seemed fastest and seemed to save power better.

I have played mostly with scaling options, 125-600, 125-720, 125-800, 250-720 and 250 to 800.

I installed Govnah about a week ago. The black screen freezes, overheats (no warning, just going up to about 41C) and spontaneous shut downs or reboots, have mostly been within the past several days.

No, this may be of interest... The Govnah app icon displays a temperature in the app menus. I noticed, when the Pre was getting too hot, it would show as black. I also noticed it would freeze while I had Govnah opened and was workinf with it. I removed the Govnah and my freezes lessened (but did not go away entirely. I have been using CPUScaler Ultimate with UK for the past couple of days, and it has been better, but not perfect. I also noticed my camera isn't opening as quickly as I would like, and if I leave the camera minimized, I can't get it to fully wake up again and have to close and re-open.

I've been considering reinstalling Govnah again, which I tried a few times already, but which escalated my problems again. I keep thinking I just haven't found the right setting(s) for my phone.

I am also considering backing everything off and going back to SuperKernel, as I didn't have any real issues with it, just never quite found the right balance for speed and battery life.

One last thing, which I realize would seem intuitive... if you are using an OC setting, charging off your car charger, running GPS AND have your BT headset on, the device is going to get too hot. I found setting back to 500Mhz or 125-500 Mhz scaling in this case to be helpful.

I know I'm leaving out details that may be of use.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    I believe that's called future proofing.
    That's a good point, but I agree with Trekker; it makes the UI more confusing to have options that don't work, and you'll really have to stay up on change logs to know when they actually become available. Plus, I'm just AR , so I hate seeing something that doesn't correspond to what's set.
    Last edited by PookiePrancer; 05/08/2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I love this. It's like when it's senior skip day at school, and the teachers say, "Don't do it, something bad might happen". But you do it anyway, and have the best day. Palm says, "Don't do it", but I did it anyway, and now I love my Pre Plus more than ever! Thanks everyone!
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A dashboard mode is under development.

-- Rod
    Love your guy's work... Keep it up and I'll be the donation's coming!!!

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Would you consider adding instructions to the opening post?
    ---------------------------------
    The following guide assumes a Palm Pre/Pre+ that has the original 1.4.1.1 kernel and no over-clocking patches. (Currently unavailable for Pixi/Pixi+ or other kernels.)

1. On Preware's homescreen, type "uber" and hit enter.
    2. Select "Uber-Kernel (Palm Pre/Pre+)" and "Install"
    3. Restart as directed
    4. If you have not yet installed a "Governor", on Preware's homescreen, type "Gov" and hit enter.
    5. Select "Govnah" and "Install"
    6. Open the Govnah app and select
    Goveneror: "Screenstate"
    Min Freq: "500 MHz"
    Max Freq: "800 MHz"
    -------------------------------------
    Or if there is something better use those instructions. What do you think?

- Craig
    Powers that be, what do you think?
    I just tried to update to the new 21 version of Uber via Preware but it's giving me an MD5 error. Said it uninstalled the old version, then threw the IPK error. I'm kinda afraid to reboot the phone now.. do I have to doctor?

EDIT : I updated my feeds and was able to install the 21 revision of Uber without the MD5 error.
    Last edited by themirthfulswami; 05/08/2010 at 12:57 PM.
    earlier this week I had both Govna and the uber installed (the long way).
    since then, I got a replacement pre and now I used the easier Preware install.

I installed Govna first and when I try to ge the the Uber kernal it tells me "error".

I looked at the log and it says, "device kernal is not in factory condition"

when I look at govna it says I'm running at 800. (cant be true)

I have the glass theme running, could that be it?

any ideas why I can't download the kernal?
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    they gave you back your old pre? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    earlier this week I had both Govna and the uber installed (the long way).
    since then, I got a replacement pre and now I used the easier Preware install.

I installed Govna first and when I try to ge the the Uber kernal it tells me "error".

I looked at the log and it says, "device kernal is not in factory condition"

when I look at govna it says I'm running at 800. (cant be true)

I have the glass theme running, could that be it?

any ideas why I can't download the kernal?
    Uber-Kernel is set to only install onto pristine files....therefore I would guess that your replacement pre has been 'patched' at some point.

The fix for this is to install the /Preware/Kernels/Recovery/Palm Kernel (Pre/Pre+) v1.4.1-2. Click on the Install and wait for the download to unpack and install itself.

You will now be prompted to reboot....DON'T.....now just go back to where Uber-Kernel is located in Preware and click on Install. The install should now work as the kernel files have now been re-written back to a pristine state. Click on Restart and when the phone comes back up everything will be working properly. (Don't forget to set Govnah or CPUstate to your preferred settings)
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I've noticed a lot more in the way of black screen freezes, spontaneous reboots, and overheats with Govnah and UK than with the original 800Mhz OC (before the easy IPK download) and before SK w/ CPU Scaler Ultimate. I played with different configs, staying in Powersave when I wasn't going to be doing much, but finding OnDemand to be the most useful, as it seemed fastest and seemed to save power better.

I have played mostly with scaling options, 125-600, 125-720, 125-800, 250-720 and 250 to 800.

I installed Govnah about a week ago. The black screen freezes, overheats (no warning, just going up to about 41C) and spontaneous shut downs or reboots, have mostly been within the past several days.

No, this may be of interest... The Govnah app icon displays a temperature in the app menus. I noticed, when the Pre was getting too hot, it would show as black. I also noticed it would freeze while I had Govnah opened and was workinf with it. I removed the Govnah and my freezes lessened (but did not go away entirely. I have been using CPUScaler Ultimate with UK for the past couple of days, and it has been better, but not perfect. I also noticed my camera isn't opening as quickly as I would like, and if I leave the camera minimized, I can't get it to fully wake up again and have to close and re-open.

I've been considering reinstalling Govnah again, which I tried a few times already, but which escalated my problems again. I keep thinking I just haven't found the right setting(s) for my phone.

I am also considering backing everything off and going back to SuperKernel, as I didn't have any real issues with it, just never quite found the right balance for speed and battery life.

One last thing, which I realize would seem intuitive... if you are using an OC setting, charging off your car charger, running GPS AND have your BT headset on, the device is going to get too hot. I found setting back to 500Mhz or 125-500 Mhz scaling in this case to be helpful.

I know I'm leaving out details that may be of use.
    I have seen lots of posts where others recommend not scaling below 500 to alleviate some of the things you mentioned.

I personally run Uber and Govna at performance 800 min/max and am not currently any issues with anything including the camera hang (since -21). Currently my Pre runs as fast and smooth as it ever did with SPK.

If you haven't already done it, you might try a visit to the Dr. just to make sure everything is clean as a whistle when you re-install everything.
    Since there's no separate thread for it anywhere that I could find, the stock Palm recovery kernel isn't working for me.

It's giving an ipkg error:
    Code:
    Fatal error occurred, unable to create backup tarball
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre.postinst: cd: line 22: can't cd to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.kernel.palm-kernel-pre/additional_files
    find: boot: No such file or directory
    find: lib: No such file or directory
    tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive
    Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information.