Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I commited a fix for the camera problems. and maybe other weird pauses while overclocking.
    Most of the time when I see the pauses it's when something is trying to read a media file. E.g. DrPodder or the Music app. I vaguely remember seeing it in the camera app, but I don't go into that app daily like I do with Music & DrPodder.

Is it possible that the fix you submitted is related to the problem I've been seeing?

Update: Ooops! I just opened the camera app, and saw the pause. Hope your update fixes it! If not, is there something that I can do to gather more accurate data to capture this problem?
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/06/2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    UNIXPSYCHO (regarding #435) CAmera Issue - Have installed UberKernal on Verizon/Pre+ (last nite); running at 800MHz/500MHz w/27 temp, in 'screenstate' - no problems at all; Apps running-Calendar/email/contacts/Govnah running. Checked both shutter lag, and image quality no difference; also tested a video - no problems...Pre has no other patches/mods/themes installed...wonder what it could be? also - Verizon 1.3 & WebOS 1.4.1.1 installed

RE #420-Uberkernal removal for WebOS upgrade? I thought instructions did say to remove? thoghts?

John
    forgive me if this has been asked but what are the differences in the governor setting like powersave, and why wouldn't you set it to 125 mhz with the screen off?

I mean what the best setting for a little speed and battery. I would just like to get rid of some of the UI lag.
    Last edited by rem_kujawa; 05/06/2010 at 05:33 PM.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Possible bug report:

I've installed the ÜberKernel and Govnah yesterday night. In the 24 hours since installing it, the screen has gone completely black three times. Once while my Pre was charging on the touchstone; the phone itself was responsive (sliding it open would light up the keyboard, holding the on/off button would give a system sound as the power-off selection options should appear) but the screen would simply stay black. Had to pull the battery to resolve this. Two other times, I slid the phone open (I rarely ever bother with the on/off button to be honest) and the screen stayed black or flickered on and off, to stay black. Pulled the battery once, but the second time it worked after I let it lie for a minute or so.

Something similar to the flickering-on-and-off thing has happened to me before while on the 800MHz IPK Kernel, but simply sliding it shut and opening it again would always work in those cases. In this case that would not work.

GSM Pre
    Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-16
    Govnah 0.2.5
    Screenstate Governor 500 / 800

I'll provide any other information that could help.
  5.    #445  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Possible bug report:

I've installed the ÜberKernel and Govnah yesterday night. In the 24 hours since installing it, the screen has gone completely black three times. Once while my Pre was charging on the touchstone; the phone itself was responsive (sliding it open would light up the keyboard, holding the on/off button would give a system sound as the power-off selection options should appear) but the screen would simply stay black. Had to pull the battery to resolve this. Two other times, I slid the phone open (I rarely ever bother with the on/off button to be honest) and the screen stayed black or flickered on and off, to stay black. Pulled the battery once, but the second time it worked after I let it lie for a minute or so.

Something similar to the flickering-on-and-off thing has happened to me before while on the 800MHz IPK Kernel, but simply sliding it shut and opening it again would always work in those cases. In this case that would not work.

GSM Pre
    Uber-Kernel 1.4.1-16
    Govnah 0.2.5
    Screenstate Governor 500 / 800

I'll provide any other information that could help.
    Sounds like your device simply doesn't like operating outside of its guaranteed specification limits. Every device is different, and someone's gotta get the ones at the bottom end of the distribution curve ...

You might want to try working your way up slowly from 600MHz.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    forgive me if this has been asked but what are the differences in the governor setting like powersave, and why wouldn't you set it to 125 mhz with the screen off?

I mean what the best setting for a little speed and battery. I would just like to get rid of some of the UI lag.
    Running at 125 is unstable on some Pre.

You can try powersave. it will not scale up fast at all which would in theory give better battery. the conservative governor is the best for battery and speed IMHO. but scaling in general will use more cycles so you wont see what you would think in battery life.
    Live free or DIE!
    so if I set to conservative what do you recommend the CPU frequency be set to?

I just tried the conservative and it lags really bad, I think I will try the screen state set to 500 and 720 for a max. I should still be better than the 800mhz ikp patch right because that's what Ive had for the past two weeks. It worked really great other than the huge battery drain.
    Last edited by rem_kujawa; 05/06/2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Sounds like your device simply doesn't like operating outside of its guaranteed specification limits. Every device is different, and someone's gotta get the ones at the bottom end of the distribution curve ...

You might want to try working your way up slowly from 600MHz.

-- Rod
    Doesn't explain why I had to pull the battery twice in 24 hours while using the new Über-Kernel whereas the IPK distribution kernel merely caused me to wait a second or two before switching the screen back on, which happened once or twice a day. I've been using 800 Kernels since they've been out as .sh scripts and my Pre has never just entirely switched off the screen like it did while charging on the Stone today or required battery pulls to switch the screen back on.

I'm not saying it's not my phone, but something in the new kernel seems to be less compatible with my lower-end processor than the old kernels, if that makes any sense. I know that I'm not entitled to anything from you and I am really grateful for the things that you guys are doing for the community, so if you don't care, you don't care and that's fine by me. I'm happy enough for the great things I'm getting from you as it is. I just thought I'd run it past you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    so if I set to conservative what do you recommend the CPU frequency be set to?

I just tried the conservative and it lags really bad, I think I will try the screen state set to 500 and 720 for a max. I should still be better than the 800mhz ikp patch right because that's what Ive had for the past two weeks. It worked really great other than the huge battery drain.
    If you're scaling from 125 then yes it will lag real bad. Some of my older test kernels had the conservative gov set at min=500 and max=800. no lag there.
    Live free or DIE!
    Doesn't explain why I had to pull the battery twice in 24 hours while using the new Über-Kernel whereas the IPK distribution kernel merely caused me to wait a second or two before switching the screen back on, which happened once or twice a day. I've been using 800 Kernels since they've been out as .sh scripts and my Pre has never just entirely switched off the screen like it did while charging on the Stone today or required battery pulls to switch the screen back on.

I'm not saying it's not my phone, but something in the new kernel seems to be less compatible with my lower-end processor than the old kernels, if that makes any sense. I know that I'm not entitled to anything from you and I am really grateful for the things that you guys are doing for the community, so if you don't care, you don't care and that's fine by me. I'm happy enough for the great things I'm getting from you as it is. I just thought I'd run it past you.
    That doesnt sound right. Something is amiss. Or your phone is slowly dying.

Try the new Uber release and see if it fixes that. Not sure if its the same kind of pause but a fix I put in might help you. It might be in the feed tonight or whenever the build process kicks in.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Most of the time when I see the pauses it's when something is trying to read a media file. E.g. DrPodder or the Music app. I vaguely remember seeing it in the camera app, but I don't go into that app daily like I do with Music & DrPodder.

Is it possible that the fix you submitted is related to the problem I've been seeing?

Update: Ooops! I just opened the camera app, and saw the pause. Hope your update fixes it! If not, is there something that I can do to gather more accurate data to capture this problem?
    I hope. it worked for me when i tested it.
    Live free or DIE!
    I decided to try this kernel and glad I did. Works great! Since I'm new at this I decided to set screen state at a min of 500 and max of 720 to see how the phone responds for the next few days. If all goes well will increase max to 800. Love the much faster response. Thanks!
    Am I the only one who has found the uber-kernel (at 500MHz) to be slower than stock at 500 MHz? I believe battery life is better too. Is there some magic that Palm is using in their kernel that the uberkernel can't take advantage of, or do I have an odd device?
  14.    #454  

Oh, please don't take my response as a "don't care" but rather a "we have no idea at all why your device would act that way, so we're assuming it's your device until we get enough trending data to point the finger elsewhere or until someone comes up with a plausible theory for the behaviour".

For us to take any other stance, and try and debug every single case where overclocked things do not work 100% is simply not time-efficient. It may sound harsh if you're the one with the problem, but unfortunately, that's how free open source software development by volunteers works.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    one last question when I uninstall the uber kernel and gavnah app is the original webos reinstalled? Or do I have to reinstall it? The reason I ask is I saw the original in preware and wondered what is was for.
    I followed these instructions and everything worked just as advertised. Now for the fun of trying these tools out.

Thanks for your work.
    I got the Uber earlier this week and like it a lot. I have it set to "screen" and 500-800. The only thing is I've never seen it go to any "actual" besides 800. Is this normal?

also, how would one get your update?

thanks.
    kudos to all involved in developing the kernel and govnah. i now have the control over the phone i craved. after a full charge my phone will go 12+ hours with light use and still have 20% or more battery left.
    Been running the kernel for a full day now. Battery life seems pretty good. Device runs NOTICEABLY cooler. My only gripe comes from Govnah not holding it's settings post reboot. Can't have it all!

Thanks again devs.
  20.    #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by sipple31 View Post
    My only gripe comes from Govnah not holding it's settings post reboot. Can't have it all!
    Can't have it all *yet*

As soon as we work out the way to prevent reboot loops which would require a visit to the webOS Doctor if your device didn't like the settings you chose, we'll implement that.

But I expect Jason R or Casey@l337tech will probably soon have either an AUPT-4 binary patch or an update to CPU Scaler Ultimate to cover this as well, which is why we're focusing on the installation and upgrade scenarios first (leaving room for others with good technical solutions to participate in the ecosystem).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals